Options

Anchor, rode and chain funny story. (not really) Advise?

SheriSheri Member Posts: 76 ✭✭

Hello all,

So Captain and I decided to go out fishing on Black Friday and take in a sunset. The fish were apparently still full from the day before and not biting. But that was not so bad as the sunset was amazing. So we decide after the sunset to pull anchor and head back. NOPE! the anchor is stuck like chuck and there is no getting it free. We were out in 30-32' of water and trust me that we tried everything short of diving to get it as the water is about 69 degrees and we didn't have any of the scuba stuff on the boat. So we mark the spot, and out comes the knife and the line gets cut. Saturday the guys gather all the scuba gear and go back out to get said anchor and the closer they get to the spot the bigger the waves get (it was supposed to be good until late that evening). They decide to go ahead and take a shot at it as it should have been a quick dive. They gear up set the other anchor and jump in. It should be a short dive, float the anchor and head back in. NOPE x's2!.  There was no current advisory at the time they left the dock but there should have been as the current was extreme. Son in-law was not comfortable with the conditions and they retreated back to the boat. Fast forward to everyone is rinsed and dried and calling it a day as the waves were getting to the point of making it hard to stand on the boat. Lets pull anchor and try again later in the week when conditions are more favorable. NOPE X's3. That anchor is also stuck. After some cussing and fussing and cutting of that rope the boat is safely back at the marina. I have found another anchor and when it is safer we will go try to retrieve the other 2 but I will need to replace the Rode on the windlass. I have watched every video and tried relentlessly to figure out how to double braid the rope. NOPE x's4 apparently that is not going to be one of my skills. So where do you buy your Rope and chain that is ready to be installed? We do not have the manual on the Windlass and it is the Horizon 600 for our 05 342. I am hoping there is a great secret place that doesn't cost as much as West Marine. If you have made changes to yours what did you go with that worked?

Post edited by Sheri on

Comments

• Options
    jme097jme097 Member Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭
    amazon is your friend. I have been able to find crazy good deals on supplies for the boat on Amazon and eBay at times.
    Boat Name: Knot A Worry
    2007 280 Rinker Express 6.2L B3
  • Options
    StodgeStodge Member Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭✭
    I bought a pre-braided chain+rope combo to replace the 14 year old one on the boat.  I made the mistake the first time of NOT getting triple braided.  The windlass would not grab the rope at all.  Getting the correct rode did the trick.  I actually got it at West Marine, but as mentioned, Amazon can be your friend.

2002 FV 342 on Lake St. Clair - Past Commodore SHC - Vessel Examiner USCGAUX

• Options
    Glassguy54Glassguy54 Member Posts: 588 ✭✭✭
    @sheri, you might want to look into an anchor saver-www.anchorsaver.com
  • Options
    pault1216pault1216 Member Posts: 206 ✭✭✭
    Did you try any tricks to recover the anchor before cutting loose? I have had mine stuck bad on my FV270 but after backing around in big circles it always popped free. Just an after thought for the next time.  -Paul
  • Options
    randy56randy56 Member Posts: 4,083 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I wish I would have got my anchor stuck on Black Friday.
    Boat Name : 

• Options
    Handymans342Handymans342 Member Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I installed this on my boat. Easy
  • Options
    youstolemybeeryoustolemybeer Member Posts: 246 ✭✭✭
    Before you go back to the spot for te anchors     there is a volkswagon or something under the water catching the anchors.   Im willing to bet your anchors are not the only ones down there.   
  • Options
    reneechris14reneechris14 Member Posts: 3,134 ✭✭✭✭✭
    A zip tie works fine.put trunbuckle down lower and zip tie chain where the turnbuckle was.you know good size zippy tie.What's rode on a342 1"×100'+30' of chain.Boy I should of never bought a bigger boat$$.
    2005 Rinker FV342  Pawcatuck river,Ct
  • Options

Thank you for the link. I am sharing with the captain!
  • Options
    edited December 2016
    pault1216 said:
    Did you try any tricks to recover the anchor before cutting loose? I have had mine stuck bad on my FV270 but after backing around in big circles it always popped free. Just an after thought for the next time.  -Paul

Yes, He did all kinds of fun stuff trying to break it free. I wasnt out there for the second trip but my guess he was even more aggressive that time since I wasn't in his ear telling him to be careful.

• Options
    edited December 2016
    Before you go back to the spot for te anchors     there is a volkswagon or something under the water catching the anchors.   Im willing to bet your anchors are not the only ones down there.   

He said if we get a good day soon they will float as many as they can find and give them to the marina for fellow boaters that might be in need. Just talking to a few people around here it seems like there might be a need for a take it if you need it box.

We were out by the sunken army tanks so I am guessing that we may have gotten hung up on the track or something.

• Options
    Stodge said:
    I bought a pre-braided chain+rope combo to replace the 14 year old one on the boat.  I made the mistake the first time of NOT getting triple braided.  The windlass would not grab the rope at all.  Getting the correct rode did the trick.  I actually got it at West Marine, but as mentioned, Amazon can be your friend.

Do you recall if you have the horizon 600? If so what rode/chain size did you go with? Like I said we don't have a manual on it so I am not sure what I need to be purchasing
  • Options
    StodgeStodge Member Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭✭
    Yes I have a Horizion 600.  I got 1/4 inch chain + 1/2 inch line.  Per Lewmar, the line should be: Medium Lay 3 Stranded line.  Don't get the smooth double braided line.

Lewmar tech support via email is fairly responsive to questions.

2002 FV 342 on Lake St. Clair - Past Commodore SHC - Vessel Examiner USCGAUX

• Options
    Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,558 mod
    Well, it sounds like maybe you had some kind of float or something you put on the end of the rode after cutting?  Heck, if it's a favorite place to anchor, you could always leave a cheap fender or float on it and use it as your mooring.  We have a place near us that has marked on the charts a cable crossing.  Well, I know of two dock friends that have lost theirs there.  I had wished the left a milk carton or something on it so we could've gone back to retrieve or at least use as a mooring.

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

• Options
    rasburyrasbury Member Posts: 8,238 ✭✭✭✭✭
    When life gives you lemons, make lemonade!
  • Options
    rasbury said:
    When life gives you lemons, make lemonade 

and when Poseidon steals your anchor, give him another one for good measure!