Options

O-rings for fuel fill cap

LaReaLaRea Member, Moderator Posts: 7,550 mod
If you need to replace the o-rings that seal your gas caps, here's a source online:

http://www.theoringstore.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=367_79_82&products_id=3484

Size:  1-3/4 o.d., 1-1/2 i.d., 1/8 thick (fits most Rinker cruisers)
Material:  Viton

I got the size from a thread posted here a couple years ago:
   http://rinkerboats.vanillaforums.com/discussion/879/gas-cap   

Several people said that Viton is the best material, but nobody posted a source to buy them.  I bought six o-rings shipped for ten bucks.  If yours are starting to shrink or crack, replace those suckers.

Comments

• Options
    reneechris14reneechris14 Member Posts: 3,134 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I wonder if the same size for water and waste caps.10 bucks all of rings replaced is assome.
    2005 Rinker FV342  Pawcatuck river,Ct
  • Options
    Black_DiamondBlack_Diamond Member Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Viton is nice, has its limits too. In industry, great for high temps, very poor for cold temps. Generally 3x the cost of nitrile (Buna-N) rubber. For water and gasoline exposure, they are rated the same. 

Past owner of a 2003 342FV
    PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • Options
    frodo13056frodo13056 Member Posts: 212 ✭✭✭
    I replaced mine after 8 seasons with the nitril o-rings. I was pretty paranoid about the new o-rings leaking in water since on the 320 models, the gas filler caps are directly downstream from where water runs off the side glass windows. It's an odd design to say the least but whenever it rains, water follows small "troughs" along the boat sides and flows down right over the gas caps.
    To make sure that I didn't have any leaks with the new o-rings, I rolled a couple paper towels up and placed them just below and inside the fuel fill hole then placed the caps on "snugly" then took my water hose and ran water for a few minutes, removed the caps and paper towels and made sure of no water intrusion. I also made a small alignment mark on the gas cap / hull to make sure that I properly snug up the caps after refueling. 
    A friend that has a 2007 320 experienced water in the fuel a couple of seasons ago and it was pretty much a nightmare to get rid of the old fuel and get everything cleaned up. He thought that it was probably due to the original o-rings failing.
  • Options
    BizmarkBizmark Member Posts: 53 ✭✭
     We just acquired a 320 and I see a gasket seal on the filler plate, but are you saying there is an o-ring under the lip of the cap itself that may be missing or damaged on many boats? The marina overfilled the one tank on the weekend and with the heat of the sun and the expansion of the fuel, we bled fuel all afternoon with out us being aware. I suspect there should be a better seal than that, maybe it's the missing o-ring. Neither tank has any more than a dried out, hardened deck flange gasket on the face of the flange.
  • Options
    Cableguy GregCableguy Greg Member Posts: 5,012 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The deck fill is made by Perko. The O-ring part number is 054000099B. Each of the deck fills should have an O-ring. If you want to replace the deck fill completely, it is either a 0540DPGCHR if it is an angled neck or a 0541DPGCHR straight neck. Even if you had the O-ring, an overfilled tank would still have seeped out. You need to siphon some fuel out, or take the boat out and burn a few gallons.

2008 280 Express Cruiser, 6.2MPI, B3, Pittsburgh, PA "Blue Ayes"
    Go Steelers!!!
  • Options
    I just replaced my fuel fill o-rings. Dumped the rubber, went Viton. Much better at UV, heat and chemical/fuel exposure. 

For the 342, betting most others too:

.125 (1/8)" cross section
    I.D. Is 1.75"

www.theoringstore.com

waste/water: .100" cross section. I.D. 1.75"

PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • Options
    Funny you mention this.  I bought a set of Viton o-rings three months ago for the fuel caps.  I immediately lost them, and bought another set that I installed last week.  
    http://www.theoringstore.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=367_79_82&products_id=3484

• Options
    So Black_Diamond and LaRea, you are sighting different sizes, unless BD meant O.D 1.75". Are the 320 and 342 different sizes?
  • Options
    May be different, however O-rings use the inner diameter as the dimension, not the OD.

PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • Options
    For the price I'll buy them both and figure it out when I get to the boat. Thank you.
  • Options
    The 1.5" that I bought is a tight fit.  I wonder if the 1.75" might last longer because it isn't stretched as much.  But -- yeah, the shipping costs more than the o-rings.  
  • Options
    raybo3raybo3 Administrator Posts: 5,459 admin
    LaRea said:
    The 1.5" that I bought is a tight fit.  I wonder if the 1.75" might last longer because it isn't stretched as much.  But -- yeah, the shipping costs more than the o-rings.  
    Put them in an envelope and put a stamp on them... Done......
    2002 342 Fiesta Vee PC Point Of Pines YC Revere MA. popyc.org     raybo3@live.com
  • Options
    Baggie in envelope in padded envelope, six bucks.  Lifetime supply of o-rings, five bucks.  Peace of mind, priceless.  
  • Options
    Cableguy GregCableguy Greg Member Posts: 5,012 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I bet the 1.5" is for the water and waste deck plates and the 1.75" is for the fuel fill. The waste and water are slightly smaller than the fuel fill.
    2008 280 Express Cruiser, 6.2MPI, B3, Pittsburgh, PA "Blue Ayes"
    Go Steelers!!!