Options

Maintenance Time

davidbrooksdavidbrooks Member Posts: 1,347 ✭✭✭✭
I have a 03' 342 with a Kohler 5kw generator.  At the end of the season it was getting pretty hard to get started so i am thinking it is time for a tune up.  Winterizing it was interesting.  Had to pump the pink through just using the starter. So I went looking for a few videos or how to discussions and didn't find much.  My first question is if there are any suggestions to getting the sound shield off so i can get to the motor?  Front comes off easy enough.  So for a tune up i was going to get the GM48014 Sea Spares Kit, Kohler ECD that includes:
  • Brushes # 239282 (2)
  • (5) 223316 - 10 amp fuses
  • (5) 358337 - 10 amp fuses
  • (5) 283645 - 15 amp fuses
  • (5) GM39266 - 20 amp fuses
  • (5) 262389 - 25 amp fuses
  • Fuel Filter # 267987
  • Oil Filter # 359771
  • Impeller Repair Kit # 359978
  • Spark Plug # GM46180 (2)
  • Zinc Anode # 260085
Everyone says start with the spark plugs.  Boat is new to me so i was going to just replace everything while i was at it so i knew it had been done.  Seems like i get a lot of fuses but not sure why.  Also any tricks to getting to the backside spark plugs?  Oil filter is right up front, Anode looks like it should be easy, Impeller should be on the front and do able.

I looked though all the manuals and they weren't helpful at all. Thanks in advance.
It's 5 O'Clock Somewhere!

Comments

• Options
    Liberty44140Liberty44140 Member Posts: 4,330 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    I am sure that @Black_Diamond will chime in as he is the resident Kohler 5E Expert. The top of the sound shield has 3 hex bolts (maybe 4 but I think its 3). Very easy to just back them out and then the entire shield comes off. Looks much more difficult than it is, literally a 2 min job. Yes you will be told plugs on starting issues so you are on the right track replacing them. You can see one plug on the front and there is a second plug on the back against the wall. You need the larger socket, 13/16". Some say you need the swivel socket for the rear plug so I bought one but I didn't need it. My 5E takes longer than it should to start, 2 - 3 tries of holding down the button for 5-6 sec. I've replaced everything on your list except the fuses & brushes so I plan to replace the electric choke kit sometime soon. $250 for parts. If the choke is not properly working it will be very hard to start and that will get worse in colder temp's. So the choke could be part of your issue. 
    07' Cruisers 390 (Previous Rinker's: 06' 342EC & 01' 310FV)

• Options
    Black_DiamondBlack_Diamond Member Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The manuals are decent, just not super good. 

For parts, I can highly recommend:

http://www.partsfortechs.com/asapcart/generator-parts-kohler-c-14_83.html?zenid=130b5fe16b522d563e5726a524f4bcbb

Personally, I would not over spend on that kit. It has a lot you may never use. Plugs are an NGK BPR-4ES. Don't use the engine s/n to get plugs, you need the long nose ones (engine s/n will get you short nosed ones). 

Impellor good to have a spare. There is a small coupling behind the pump worth changing and having a spare. 

My .02 on this:  the fuel filter at the fuel
    pump is a pita to change. I replaced it with just a threaded barbed fitting and use the in-line filter 

the anode is worth changing, then just keep an eye out on it. 

You can service the plugs without taking the whole cover off. Remove the front right screw on the top. On the engine end of the cover, 2screws on the end and that panel will pop off. You can tilt the cover back then to get to the rear plug. You can check the coolant in the reservoir and clean the spark arrestor too. 

An easy check for starting issues too: pull and clean the anti-diesel valve off the carb. Clean the hole too with carb cleaner. It will be facing you as you look at the carb side and it has one (1) wire going to it. 

Good luck!  

Past owner of a 2003 342FV
    PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • Options
    Awesome.  Thanks guys.  Exactly what i was looking for.
  • Options
    Well that is 4 hrs of my life I will never get back.  Kohler if you are listening you really need to do a better job with a) how much of a pain it is to get that sound shield on and off and b) access to the fuel filter and sea water impeller.  Glad I had the stereo on as there were a lot of 4 letter words flying around.  Oil looked horrible, anode was a nub, spark plugs were gummed up.  I don't think the previous owner did much to the gennny at all.  It was giving me all kinds of trouble starting and running at the end of the season.  After all of this it just fired right up.  Only ran it for a second as I am out of the water but it was good to hear.
  • Options
    Liberty44140Liberty44140 Member Posts: 4,330 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ha @davidbrooks - it is a pain. Is your genny on the port side next to the port engine? I assume so. I think the worst part for me was getting the fuel filter off so I Was glad to get rid of that filter for good. My sound shield came apart pretty easy though by taking out the 3 hex head bolts on top of the enclosure. What gave you challenges there? Thats great that she fired right up. Did you do anything to the carb or choke or was this the usual oil, filters, plugs and impeller service? Just curious. 
    07' Cruisers 390 (Previous Rinker's: 06' 342EC & 01' 310FV)

• Options
    Getting the bolts on top and side to line up was a challenge to getting it back together.  IMO they should of been larger.  They were pretty rusty so that was fun.   Just did plugs, Oil, Oil filter, fuel filter,anode and impeller.  I will top off the coolant and oil when i put it back in the water and give it good run.  Yes it is on the port side.  Getting that o ring to stay in place on the impeller was fun also.  Gonna have to double check for leaks when i get it running.
  • Options
    Glad you won the battle!  Been there numerous times. lol. A nice trick for holding o-rings in place for assembly: wipe them in grease and it will stick and stay in place. 

I litterally lay on top the sound shield to change the impeller. 

PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • Options
    A four year old boy couldn't lay on my sound shield.  I have maybe 12-16 in clearance on top and 12in clearance between it and the front engine room wall.  I was laying on the port engine and have the cuts and bruises to prove it.  Hoping I don't have to do it again soon.
  • Options
    Exactly like mine!  I can luckily squeeze in on top of it though.  Takes lots of contortions. 

PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • Options
    Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,561 mod
    I've sat in there on top of that sound shield in your model boat.  I never thought I was going to get back out of there :)

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

• Options
    craigswardmtbcraigswardmtb Member Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭
    It's a love hate relationship with my genny,  but boy I'm glad I at least have decent access to it on my 360. For the amount of time I spend tinkering with it I may have sold the whole darn boat if I didn't. 
  • Options
    reneechris14reneechris14 Member Posts: 3,134 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Boy I'm glad I read this on in the on deck circle for this in couple of weeks.looks like I'm going to need band aids and knee pads.
    2005 Rinker FV342  Pawcatuck river,Ct
  • Options
    Cableguy GregCableguy Greg Member Posts: 5,012 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Boy I'm glad I read this on in the on deck circle for this in couple of weeks.looks like I'm going to need band aids and knee pads.
    Get a blanket or some thick towels to lay across the engine.
    2008 280 Express Cruiser, 6.2MPI, B3, Pittsburgh, PA "Blue Ayes"
    Go Steelers!!!