Options

What do I need to look for?

rasburyrasbury Member Posts: 8,241 ✭✭✭✭✭
Howdy all, have another thread about a leak and a shift bellows clamp that is missing that might well be my entire issue. My engine was recently removed to replace a coupler and I just don't recall having such issue with water in the bilge prior- had some I always figured came from the A/C drain as I assume these types of A/C with our humidity generate condensation like a conventional one. At any rate, I have much more water than I ever had to deal with and hopefully the shift cable boot is the culprit...but if it is not...something else struck me as I was looking at the engine compartment....when I looked down at drive shaft going into the coupler, I could see what looked like a hose clamp laying under it. I ASSUMED this was an old clamp and the guy to lazy to reach down in there and get it out. I have a 350 MPI, closed cooling 2005 set up. I have a raw water pump which I have verified no leaking between the pump and the thru hull. I know there is a connection back there somewhere for coming thru the transom, a notorious bend that gets clogged and causes cooling issues I've read but don' recall what the connection type there is....what else do I need to be looking for back there for a leak?  I have not had it back in the water enough to know if the leak is while sitting, or while running or both!

Best Answers

Answers

• Options
    Lake_BumLake_Bum Member Posts: 930 ✭✭✭✭
    Nothing drives me crazy, worse then a sloppy mechanic!  When I find something like an extra clamp, or anything else, it almost always points to something that got missed!  I would be scouring the entire motors hoses, looking for the one that isn't clamped.  If it was really recent, maybe the mechanic will be able to remember if he replaced one for some reason.  Does the hose clamp look like it is in good shape that you found, or is it mangled a bit?  Good luck! 
    2000 Captiva 232 
  • Options
    I saw it but did not have my widget thing to reach down there and grab it. I looked at all the hoses for the raw water and they seem to be fine...I was not sure what else came through the transom that the clamp I saw laying there might have gone to. I assumed it was replaced and that was the old one left but from 05, it could have come from anywhere. I do recall it was opened fairly large like it was on a good size hose. I will have the boat home after Christmas and will look further.....thx
  • Options
    jhofmannjhofmann Member Posts: 430 ✭✭✭
    Having done most of my own repairs on my boats for the last 25 years, I can tell you how easy it is to drop something in the bilge and not be able to locate it. You see it fall, but it's not where you think it is. A magnet if it is magnetic, or a shop vac may pick it up. Some times you just have to wait and eventually it will work it way to the rear. My point is just because you see it in the bilge, doesn't mean he forgot to put it back on. That being said, check all the fittings, and ask the mechanic about it. 
  • Options
    Thanks for the comments!
  • Options
    Well, looked all over and don't see anything loose. I put a zip tie on the shift cable boot so we will see this up coming weekend if its not to cold. Going to be in the 60's...brrrrr
  • Options
    well, guess I found my answer....and while it stinks, literally, better than an engine or other issue. We are going out this weekend so I have the boat home, just replaced the hand pump on the toilet as it was not working.....I thought I'd check the clamps on the bellows as the motor was out....drip drip going on and boy did it stink so I know for sure where it is coming from! What I don't understand if you read the thread.....I thought the tank was leaking and then it stopped. And then it started. When we got to the ramp last time there was a lot of water in the bilge but it did not smell. So, I at least have one problem, if not two. So, we are going regardless and will just have to use the bathroom at the marina. Not looking forward to pulling that tank out. Maybe the water did not smell at the ramp as it had not sat in the tank long enough I hope. I will see if I can get to the clamps on the bellows, not sure if I can or not. I did put a zip tie on the shift cable boot which had nothing on it....small problems I know.