Options

Smart Tabs installation question - 2006 Rinker 226 Captiva

SkyrydrSkyrydr Member Posts: 3
edited May 2013 in Rinker Sport Boat Forum

I am planning on installing Nauticus Smart Tabs on my 2006 Rinker 226 Captiva.  I was wondering if there is any problem drilling into the areas I've highlighted in red in the picture.  That area seems more solid than the rest of the hull when knock on it.  I just want to make sure I'm not drilling into metal or something I shouldn't be.

Post edited by Babyboomer on

Comments

• Options
    mvnmvn Member, Moderator Posts: 744 mod
    edited May 2013

I put my Smart tabs on the transom closer to the stern drive and the top of the cylinders mounted on the curved portion.  I'll post a photo tomorrow. In any event, you shouldn't have any mounting issues with your location.

Mark

Post edited by mvn on
    Good,  fast,  cheap.... pick two. 
    2019 MTX20 Extreme

• Options

Food for thought.  BTW, they work great!

Mark

2019 MTX20 Extreme

• Options
    Black_DiamondBlack_Diamond Member Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would think being father apart would be more stable and offer a much better lever arm for trimming side to side.  Just the engineer in me talking *-:)

Past owner of a 2003 342FV
    PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • Options
    BabyboomerBabyboomer Member Posts: 918 mod
    I think I would mount them where the orange markings are on my boat they are mounted close to each edge

Slip 866 Sunset Marina Byrdstown Tn
  • Options
    I would think being father apart would be more stable and offer a much better lever arm for trimming side to side.  Just the engineer in me talking *-:)

Agreed; however, in my configuration, lateral stability is not an issue and work perfectly.  I did a 192 this way on the advice of Nauticus and it too worked out very well.  Either way, you can't go wrong.

Mark

2019 MTX20 Extreme

• Options
    Black_DiamondBlack_Diamond Member Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sweet. Proof is in the pudding!

Past owner of a 2003 342FV
    PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • Options

Thanks for the replies, guys.  MVN, I first considered mounting them there too, but Nauticus has a picture on their website stating that that is too far inboard.  That's the reason I was decided to mount them in location I pictured above. 

I have heard that many people put them next to the stern drive like your setup on the advice of Nauticus if they cannot find a better place.  I'm glad they are working well for you.  I think I am going to stick to the location I have chosen.  Hopefully I don't run into any problems drilling because that area is definitely more solid than the surrounding areas of the transom.

• Options
    You should be fine. Let us know how it goes.

Mark
    2019 MTX20 Extreme

• Options
    MadcowMadcow Member Posts: 58 ✭✭✭
    You want to go as far to the outside as possible

Boat: 2004 232 Capitva CC

Boat Name: Mixed Nutz

• Options

Here's a photo I found online showing conventional tabs mounted on a 226.

Mark

2019 MTX20 Extreme

• Options
    MadcowMadcow Member Posts: 58 ✭✭✭
    Those look like there at a bad or no angle. I'm not an expert but they should follow the angle of the boat bottom

Boat: 2004 232 Capitva CC

Boat Name: Mixed Nutz

• Options
    The 226 has a bizarre transom design.  There's a huge step.   I'll take some photos of mine to give you an idea. 

I wonder where the factory mounts the optional tabs? 

Mark
    2019 MTX20 Extreme

• Options
    Well, I spoke with Randy Rinker and he sent me some pics of trim tabs they've installed on 226's. They're in the exact same location that I was planning to install them, so I should be good to go.
  • Options

Excellent!  You'll notice a huge difference.

Mark

2019 MTX20 Extreme

• Options
    Here are some photos of the 226 transom.   It is a challenge! 

Mark
    2019 MTX20 Extreme

• Options
    BoatAwayBoatAway Member Posts: 179 ✭✭✭

engineer here. fluid mechanics dictate that from a list-correction standpoint, the farther out you install tabs, the more effective they'll be and you'll need less deployment for correction (which means less drag, higher speed, and fuel efficiency).

From a “getting on plane” standpoint, it does not matter whether they're in or out.

so if your tabs are usually deployed equally (or close), no difference. If you're trying to correct a list, then you might want to consider going out a little bit. but you won't notice a HUGE difference. Mostly those trying to eek out every last drop of speed and fuel will notice or bother.

• Options

Makes sense.  I wasn't trying to correct a listing issue, just preventing a porpoising issue and trying to reduce minimum planing speed.

Mark

2019 MTX20 Extreme

• Options
    edited June 2013

Here's a photo of the precursor to the 226 I think.  It's a 2007 R1.  It has a very similar transom design to a 192 and possibly a 212.

Mark

2019 MTX20 Extreme