Options

Mysterious midship bilge water

Im getting water filling up in the bilge under the aft berth and can't figure out where it's coming from.  Definitely not the shower.  I just fixed that sump and it's bone dry.  The forward compartment and air conditioning area looks clean too.  I just opened up the TP locker and checked the shower, head sink and galley sink. All clean.  What else is up there?

Attached is a picture  of the bilge pump and the carpet just forward if the berth.  It's always damp and the wood is duscolored.  

Ideas?. 

Comments

• Options
    Handymans342Handymans342 Member Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭✭
    What model boat???
  • Options
    raybo3raybo3 Administrator Posts: 5,459 admin
    2006 342EC
    2002 342 Fiesta Vee PC Point Of Pines YC Revere MA. popyc.org     raybo3@live.com
  • Options
    Liberty44140Liberty44140 Member Posts: 4,330 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    both the toilet and ac intake thru hulls will drain to the mid bikge if they leak. Also, the shower sump exit out the Side of the boat and sink drains will drain there if they leak. If you have confirmed that the shower sump and the toilet and ac intakes are not the problem I would next remove the shelf in the shower, behind that you will see the shower and aft bilge exits out the side of the boat and the toilet raw water pump. Check for leaks there. After that i would check both the galley and head sink plumbing for leaks. It's strange that it's over flowing and ruining the floor as that bilge pump should pump the water out before it gets to that level, are you sure that pump works? Makes me wonder if the issue is the galley sink and it's draining under the floor in to the bilge. The galley fridge is super easy to remove to look for water, just screws around the outer trim. 
    07' Cruisers 390 (Previous Rinker's: 06' 342EC & 01' 310FV)

• Options
    almtm3almtm3 Member Posts: 22
    Yup checked all of those. Hence the mystery.  Is there anything in the starboard side that could produce water? 
  • Options
    seguirseguir Member Posts: 170 ✭✭✭
    Did you check the door track.  I have found water sitting there during heavy rains.
  • Options
    Yup. Thought about that too!  Camper cover was on and no big rains in a few weeks. 

Just occurs to me that I didn't check the shower drain seal inside the shower.  Seems odd I'd get gallons of water, but let me try to correlate to fresh water system use.  

If anyone knows what's under the seating area, let me know.  That's still my unknown. 

Thanks,
    mac
  • Options
    If there are any leaks in the holding tank lines or fresh water tank lines they will drain to the mid ship bilge. Fresh water tank is on the stbd side. There is a great video on this site posted by @DanD2 on how to gain full access to those tanks. 

• Options
    Thanks.   That's where my head is. 

I mean, that's what I'm thinking. ( my head is on the port side like everyone else's.
  • Options
    summerxsummerx Member Posts: 211 ✭✭✭
    on my 310, it had an option for heating the water tank using hot water from the engine block.  essentially a hose came off the block, ran to the hot water tank and around the outside of the tank, and then back to the engine to go out the exhaust.  I had that line go bad.  took the mechanic a while to figure that one out.  it had cracked at the base of the hot water tank.  I guess it was incase you didn't have a generator, you could still heat the water out on the hook.  I just eliminated that option since I have the genny, problem solved.
  • Options
    Handymans342Handymans342 Member Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That line on mine is full of Antifreeze
  • Options
    DanD2DanD2 Member Posts: 847 ✭✭✭
    When I kept getting water in my mid bilge it came from 2 different locations in 1 area. Behind the TP holder cabinet in the head. I had a leaking line just outside of the sump pump AND I had a leaking waterline just under the head sink. This ALL fed to the mid bilge.
    No longer a boat owner.....previous boat - 2005 Rinker Fiesta Vee 342
  • Options
    Thanks DanD2. I'm going to shutoff water, purge lines, and see if the bilge stays dry
  • Options
    no joy so far.  Looks like I'm ripping out the Aft Berthing area to get a look at everything.  At least I'll get to see the fresh water and waste holding tanks.

Anything i should survey while I'm back there?

• Options
    Here is @DanD2 a video on opening it up:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=W_q8jW_EdZ0

• Options
    OK. I'm following in the footsteps of DanD2 and have ripped out everything except for the port back rest
  • Options
    It looks like the water is indeed coming from under the shower. Now what?
  • Options
    reneechris14reneechris14 Member Posts: 3,134 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Can you reseal shower drain.I think I have a leak there too so your doing my homework for me.2005 342,only had it in the water for a month in the fall.not enough time to investigate. Oh and can I have your steps,mine are carpeted.
    2005 Rinker FV342  Pawcatuck river,Ct
  • Options
    Can you isolate it to the shower drain? Maybe pour a lot of water down that drain from buckets (not using the boats pumps or plumbing) to be absolutely sure that it's the drain. That's what I would do. There is a lot of plumbing behind the shower and under the toilet so it's best to really isolate it to one place. If it is the shower drain I would contact @Alswagg on how to get under there. 

• Options
    DanD2DanD2 Member Posts: 847 ✭✭✭
    Just an FYI....The shower drain should go into a sump on the port side of the aft cabin. Check to see if that sump is leaking
    No longer a boat owner.....previous boat - 2005 Rinker Fiesta Vee 342
  • Options
    raybo3raybo3 Administrator Posts: 5,459 admin
    Try put some food coloring in some water and pour it in the shower and see if it is the shower that is leaking.......
    2002 342 Fiesta Vee PC Point Of Pines YC Revere MA. popyc.org     raybo3@live.com
  • Options
    raybo3 said:
    Try put some food coloring in some water and pour it in the shower and see if it is the shower that is leaking.......
    Great idea!!!

• Options
    Liberty- thanks. danD2, yup.  Sump repair was earlier this fall.  Raybo - wilco 
  • Options
    Get this....it looks like the water is coming from the bilge pump itself!  Not sure where, but under the shower somewhere. Wish me luck.  
  • Options
    Remember the bilge pump and shower dump exit out he side of the boat behind the shower shelf and those hoses run under the shower. 

• Options
    Right.  I popped out the shower shelf before and everything was dry that I could see. Must be underneath somewhere.  
  • Options
    I see. Sounds like it is either the shower drain or a crack in one of the hoses running under the shower. I agree with doing food coloring in water to narrow down whether it is the shower drain, sump exit or bilge exit. 

• Options
    Just for closure, my bilge has been dry for 5 days!  (Small victories)
  • Options
    That's great! Where was it coming from?

• Options
    J3ffJ3ff Member Posts: 4,060 ✭✭✭✭✭
    @almtm3  where was it coming from ??
  • Options
    SimcoeRinker400SimcoeRinker400 Member Posts: 319 ✭✭✭
    I know this a year later but where was his leak the shower or the blige pump. Like to know?? Notice water stains in my boat 2005 Rinker 342.
    2008 Rinker 400 EC 
    2015 Scarab 165G
    Laser Sailboat
    2002 Seadoo Explorer
    2023 Seadoo Spark Trixx x 2