Options

Engine will not start

bazzabazza Member Posts: 56 ✭✭
hello all
would be grateful for some help before I have to pull in the diagnostics man. Volvo Penta 5.7 300hp 2010 fuel injected, worked well then moored up for 6 weeks and now won't start, checked spark OK fuel Plenty of it getting to cylinders battery spinning engine perfectly but no sign of it firing up at all. I'm at a loss to what could be causing this? Maybe sensor for crank? Can anyone help please.
Bazza

Comments

• Options
    califcocalifco Member Posts: 59 ✭✭
    Were you able to see sparks from the spark plugs? I purchased a device from an auto store that has a glass and connects between the plug and the the wire and you can see if the coils is generating a spark.
    I recently had the same problem and turned out to be water in the gas tank, the seal on the gas tank cover fail and when it rained water found its way inside the tank. 
    I suggest start by checking the electrical system and work you way from there.
  • Options
    Glassguy54Glassguy54 Member Posts: 588 ✭✭✭
    This was really embarrassing for me, but I was at the launch ramp and could not get the engine started. It would crank merrily, so I thought maybe I was low on fuel and the angle at the ramp caused what fuel there was to run past the fuel pick up. I drove to a gas station and topped up the tank. Back at the ramp, still no start. Drove to the local marina to seek expert advice from a tech. He took one look in the cockpit and said, "Your kill switch is flipped." Like I said, embarrassing. I guess I flipped the switch while I was cleaning the boat and didn't even realize it. Sometimes its the simplest things, as I hope is the case with you. Good luck. 
  • Options
    Thanks to you both great suggestions but tank is 75%full and yes I can see spark with plug against an earth and cranking. Boat is in  the water on pontoon. I wonder if a crank position sensor is dirty and maybe damp giving the wrong message to computer? Not sure if this is a probability I am used to engines without too much electronics.
  • Options
    randy56randy56 Member Posts: 4,083 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That kill switch under the throttle gets bumped off accidentally. It is embarrassing. Also I had one fail, It would not make contact. Let us know want you find. 
    Boat Name : 

• Options
    212rowboat212rowboat Member Posts: 2,591 ✭✭✭✭✭
    not only the kill switch there, but the one on the shift rocker, too... put it in and out of gear about half a dozen times, and try again. 
  • Options
    Thanks for advice, I will double check all of these possibles, on my Rinker 280 you turn on ignition and wait for the three bleeps then turn key to crack engine, bleeps indicates the electronics is happy it should start, when I remove kill switch actuator I do not get the three bleeps same with neutral switch, they both appear to be working correctly. It's a puzzle I have spark but no attempt to fire I remove plugs they're wet with petrol/gas, the boat has only 200 hours on it and was working great when I left it 6 weeks ago.
  • Options
    russellhrussellh Member Posts: 155 ✭✭
    My was due to damp. She's moored up even in our winter because we still go out. Left her for 2 weeks and when I tried to start her she just kept turning over. So I opened the engine hatch and there was a lot of moisture on the block so I put a few of those tablet dehumidifiers around the bilge and put an oil filled radiator down there to. Left it a week and when I returned she fired up immediately 
  • Options
    Hello all. Thanks to you all for your support the engine is now running perfectly, all your suggestions made me think that it must be a basic fault, and it was, I had a spark but it wasn't good enough, i went back to basic striped down all the distibuter cap and leads cleaned plugs and warmed them up reinstalled tested perfect. Thanks again everyone. Bazza 
  • Options
    randy56randy56 Member Posts: 4,083 ✭✭✭✭✭
    @bazza So you found it was disputer cap? I replaced mine last spring because of dark spots on the inside, showing wear. Had not had trouble with it, but changed so I did'nt have any.  
    Boat Name : 

• Options
    I feel embarrassed having not checked the distributor cap earlier due the spark being visible but in hindsight I remember years ago with old cars it was a regular thing to check and service as when the plugs are in the cylinders they may not supply the goods. Old lesson re learnt. Once again thanks to all of you throwing in ideas and helping my brain to work.
    cheers happy new year Bazza