Options

What exactly is a chart plotter

dwolfdwolf Member Posts: 157 ✭✭
 I kind a have an idea what a chart plotter is but I'm not positive and is this something I would need on my boat for my trip to the Bahamas?i'm assuming the chart plotter guess the topography of the ocean floor or whatever body water that you might be in. I want my trip to be as safe as possible so any equipment that I would need added to my boat I want to make sure and have. My boat has the factory depth gauge which I can't figure out since it only tells me when the water is really deep and the alarm goes off but it never tells me when the water is shallow.

Best Answers

• Options
    skennellyskennelly Member Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    @dwolf - A chart plotter incorporates GPS and mapping that let's you plan out your trips path and also backtrack from where you came from.  It basically does what the name implies...it plots on a map chart your movement.  Most devices have other things built in like anchor alarms, fish finding ect.....if you are going into unknown territory it's a must in my opinion

My experience is on the Great Lakes.

Other things that come to mind.

Radar
    Good working marine radio
    Watch the weather!!!!!!
    File a float plan
    Don't go alone if possible.
    EPIRB device

Did I mention watch the weather!

You also didn't mention what kind of boat you are attempting this trip in...obviously there's a lot to consider when making this kind of voyage.
    2002 - 270FV Mag 350 B3

Answers

• Options
     My boat is a Rinker Captiva 232 cuddy cabin  in excellent condition it has a 7.4 L with a bravo three outdrive I've gone through my boat top to bottom and it's in perfect working order. I certainly appreciate all of your suggestions and it looks like I'll be getting a chart plotter now I also plan on running a satellite phone being that there probably won't be any cell service in the  Bahamas I notify all a float plan and let people know when I'm leaving and when do expect me back when I will arrive in the Bahamas and all that I know to have the personal locator beacon is I've been researching this for almost 3 years have watched every video and read every article I could find on going to the Bahamas I know I have to have a passport personal locator beacon   The radar part I know nothing about can you explain that I didn't consider that I might need radar this is the first time anyone's mentioned that, is this for keeping an eye on the weather I have a weather radio, what is the EPRIB device? And I plan on making a trip when other boaters are going I'm trying to link up with some other boaters from this website and go when they go I'm really looking forward to doing this trip 
  • Options
    skennellyskennelly Member Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    ruggeroleruggerole Member Posts: 161 ✭✭

Sounds like a trip you shouldn't take. A 23 footer is a little small for this trip. The shortest distance is from West Palm to Freeport is 83 miles. That's a long way on a 232.

Plus the lack of knowledge of an EPIRB. I have never seen a radar on a 232CC. No radar arch.

If you do go, make sure you go with others. 

• Options
    IanIan Member Posts: 2,778 ✭✭✭✭
    With all due respect, the questioning suggests some lack of experience for such a trip.

Regards,

Ian

The Third “B”

Secretary, Ravena Coeymans Yacht Club

https://www.rcyachtclub.com/

• Options
    LaReaLaRea Member, Moderator Posts: 7,555 mod
    Lack of experience, but see his other posts ... he's asking the right questions, doing a lot of research, and not planning to go alone.  
  • Options
    ruggeroleruggerole Member Posts: 161 ✭✭
    The sea is no place for the in-experienced even with others
  • Options
    Cableguy GregCableguy Greg Member Posts: 5,012 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's 43NM from Miami to Bimini. I would do that in a 23 footer. They do that trip on wave runners.
    2008 280 Express Cruiser, 6.2MPI, B3, Pittsburgh, PA "Blue Ayes"
    Go Steelers!!!
  • Options
    Handymans342Handymans342 Member Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭✭
    ruggerole said:
    I went to Key West with just a 7 inch Plotter. Didnt even use radar. Went fine. 
  • Options
    ruggerole said:
    If nobody in the group has offshore experience, you are 100% right.  But a group of experienced boaters taking a newbie along for the ride?  That's one of the best ways to become an experienced boater. 

• Options
    Liberty44140Liberty44140 Member Posts: 4,331 ✭✭✭✭✭
    To quote a famous Captain (Ron), "If it's gonna happen, its gonna happen out there"....
    07' Cruisers 390 (Previous Rinker's: 06' 342EC & 01' 310FV)

• Options
    LaRea said:
    ruggerole said:
    If nobody in the group has offshore experience, you are 100% right.  But a group of experienced boaters taking a newbie along for the ride?  That's one of the best ways to become an experienced boater. 

I have about 20 years boating experience in all kinds of conditions I've just never been on the ocean.  I've watched probably at 50 videos on YouTube of people making the same crossing that I'm wanting to do in a lot smaller boats and even on Jet Ski's in this one group went over 1000 miles on Jet Ski's in with a 21 foot Yamaha jet boat . I know to keep a watch out for the weather and all and I'm planning on making my trip during a time when there's no weather in the foreseen forecast that could cause me any problems although I do know storms can come up anytime I've been through that I'm safe boater I don't take risks but I do like an adventure .i've very methodically went through every part of my boat to make sure everything is in tiptop shape although I've never had a problem with it yet anyway other than a seal in the outdrive going out actually just had a small leak on so I pulled  The   Out drive and went through it everything seems to be in tiptop shape now. I've watched all kinds of videos and did all kinds of research on what to do and what not to do what to take what to expect going through customs everything I've been researching this for over two years I'm not going unprepared I almost feel like I've already been there I've researched so much but I'm not take anything for granite I realize this is the ocean  some people don't think that it's a big enough boat but yet people cross in a lot smaller boats every day even on Jet Ski's I don't plan on going alone I plan on grouping up with some other boaters and going at the same time I mean if I want to just get out there and get across there I could do it in an hour my boat runs right at 60 miles an hour but I don't want to push it like that . I appreciate everyone's concerns and advice I never do anything half cocked though I always research and find out as much about anything as I can 
  • Options
    Glassguy54Glassguy54 Member Posts: 588 ✭✭✭
    reminds me of the guy who bought marble, but he took it for granite.
  • Options
    randy56randy56 Member Posts: 4,083 ✭✭✭✭✭
    @dwolf I admire your ambition, and dream. seems you do not have anyone on the forum, ready to make the trip. Perhaps you could find a boating club or organization in FL you could make the trip with. 
    Boat Name : 

• Options
    212rowboat212rowboat Member Posts: 2,591 ✭✭✭✭✭
    helz, i've ran more than 100NM on a jetski using just a handheld Magellan with SE charts before.... followed the sportfishers out, kept a few of them in sight, then simply re-tracked my trail.  did this on a whim.... the first time. 

• Options
    raybo3raybo3 Administrator Posts: 5,459 admin
    Speaking of chart plotters (mine is older) I heard that the new ones do not have to have waypoints plugged into them. They work like the GPS in a car. Just tell it where you want to go? Does that sound right?
    2002 342 Fiesta Vee PC Point Of Pines YC Revere MA. popyc.org     raybo3@live.com
  • Options
    Some systems offer auto-routing, but what's the point.  All it does is generate a route (sequence of waypoints).  I'd never use an auto-generated route without first checking each waypoint manually, so I doubt it would be much of a time-saver.  
  • Options
    Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,561 mod
    raybo3 said:
    Speaking of chart plotters (mine is older) I heard that the new ones do not have to have waypoints plugged into them. They work like the GPS in a car. Just tell it where you want to go? Does that sound right?

Oh boy, we already have too many novice boaters out there that don't take the time to learn what they need to.  This will just let them think they don't need to know red/green or any type of navigation.  This would just let them get in the boat and type in where they want to go.  Oh crap!  The GPS didn't tell me I couldn't go across that piece of land!

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

• Options
    raybo3raybo3 Administrator Posts: 5,459 admin
    DI that is the point. It wont take you across the land anymore. 
    2002 342 Fiesta Vee PC Point Of Pines YC Revere MA. popyc.org     raybo3@live.com
  • Options
    212rowboat212rowboat Member Posts: 2,591 ✭✭✭✭✭
    anyway, dwolf, i hope you have fun on your journeys and the adventure is adventurous not because of calamity... 

one serious note i'd offer that pertains both to plotters and to pretty much everything else in preparation to do what you're about to do, is remember "no plan survives first contact" and have a trunk worth of contingencies.  

contingencies aren't only helpful for tendencies to spaz out when something goes wrong, but also to set you to thinking and considering things you maybe otherwise wouldn't have thought about. 

i'd reckon you've already considered this, though- but i figured i'd type it out all the same.  
  • Options
    Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,561 mod
    raybo3 said:
    DI that is the point. It wont take you across the land anymore. 

Sorry, my sarcasm is hard to put in text.  I agree that it won't but just like people don't update their car GPS, I can see it happening in the boats too.  Running aground or cutting the red marker short.  Driving across land may be a bit of exaggeration.  But, point is that people will rely on it too much.  Heck, tie it to the autopilot and just wake me up when we are there (sarcasm again, although somebody would try it).

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

• Options
    reminds me of the guy who bought marble, but he took it for granite.
     I take nothing for granted and I know the ocean can be a dangerous place and I'm not going out there thinking that it can't be I'm doing all the research I can possibly think of on everything I could possibly think of us went through every aspect of my boat to make sure everything is in perfect working order I'm trying to learn  as much as I can about this trip before I even begin I've been researching for almost 3 years now there's probably never a week goes by that I don't put a considerable amount of time into research there's been a couple of voters on the site that seem to be interested in the trip. If I fail at finding someone here then I'll search elsewhere I will probably make the trip regardless of whether I find other boaters or not I've watched over 100 videos of the crossing from Fort Lauderdale to Bimini and my boat down calm water should make it across there  in our easy but I plan on taking my time and just enjoying the ride I'm gonna watch the weather like a hawk and if there's any kind of bad weather coming I'm going to head for a cove somewhere and ride it out I'll do my damnedest not to get caught out in the weather but Ive rode  several bad storms out before without problems . I took Jet Ski  trips overnight through alligator and snake infested swamps just for the pure thrill of it I love excitement .I have a lot more experience on Jet Ski's then I do in a boat though as I've owned a Jetski dealership for the past 15 years ,  i'm a pretty decent mechanic if I don't know how to fix it I learned how to fix it I was about every kind of tool imaginable I go nowhere and prepared in fact I go so prepared that sometimes I wonder why brought so much I'm really looking forward to doing this trip you all just don't know the preparation that I've put into doing this, I don't have to be in any kind of hurry if I get there in the weather gets bad when I want to come back I can write it out and come back later I don't have to leave at a certain time I don't have to come back at a certain time  I had much rather go with other boaters those that are familiar with it I've watched many flyover videos so I have a pretty good idea of what there is under the water I've watched Jet Ski Videos and boating videos sometimes I've watched him for five hours a day studying everything  I almost feel like I've been there and I prescient all yawls input believe me I'm taking everything to heart I'm not take anything for granite