Options

Suggestions for raising the seat height when needed

dwolfdwolf Member Posts: 157 ✭✭
 My 232 Captiva came with a non-bolstered seat I'm constantly having to stand up to get a good visual and I was wondering if there's anything that can be added to the seat post where is the seat could be raised or lowered we needed does anyone have any suggestions for that? I have currently been using a throwable floatation device  which tends to slip and slide around and it is still  doesn't raise the ceiling height a quiet enough  I have  A desk chair at home that has levers on it that when you rise above the seat you can pull lever and it raises the seat up or you can push the lever and the seat will go down and you can adjust the height anywhere in between  which would be awesome if I had something like that in my boat but the supporting mechanisms on the desk chair aren't nearly as big as the seat post in the boat so they will interchange I've already checked into that. 

Comments

• Options
    Lake_BumLake_Bum Member Posts: 928 ✭✭✭✭
    I'm looking into buying bolsters for mine.  I am sick and tired of using the throwable, and having to sit on my leg folded under my butt.  A couple of boats ago, I had bolster seats, and loved them.  Changing the height permanently wouldn't be a good fix either, unless you have the ability to adjust it still.  
    2000 Captiva 232 
  • Options
    rasburyrasbury Member Posts: 8,238 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I bet there is some sort of clip on chussion or something to put on there that would come on and off.....or something you can make up that sits and looks a little better...we are Rinker people!
  • Options
    Glassguy54Glassguy54 Member Posts: 588 ✭✭✭
    Great Lakes Skipper has replacement seats with flip up bolsters for Rinker and just about every other brand. Also height adjustable seat pedestals.
  • Options
    randy56randy56 Member Posts: 4,083 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Agreed on the seat being to low, Not sure how yours is made but several of us have raised the seat with by putting 4 inch sq tubing under it. Looking for picture.
    Boat Name : 

• Options
    shawnmjr said:
    You could always just by a new pedestal that raises and lowers and mount your old seat to that. Just do a google search. Here is a link for an example to one. Not sure if this would be high enough for your application but a lot popped up when I searched raising pedestal boat seat. 
    http://www.discountmarinesupplies.com/Garelick-Garelick_Adjustable_Height_Seat_Base_Spider_Smoo.html?gclid=CK7KlpHZrNECFcGGaQodOvMABA
     Thank you for your suggestion I checked it out seems awful high for a post with a couple wing nuts on it basically looking at that I think I can make my own I was sure would like to find something made like my desk chair where you just pull the handle and automatically  readjust .  Everything just because it's a boat is a lot higher than it would be if it was for anything else I've learned to cross-reference a lot of things because you can buy it when it's made for something totally different but yet it's the same part and it's a whole lot cheaper I'm a firm believer in saving that almighty dollar but I'm not  afraid  to spend it when I need to
  • Options

Great Lakes Skipper has replacement seats with flip up bolsters for Rinker and just about every other brand. Also height adjustable seat pedestalsthere's nothing wrong with my seat though I would hate to replace the seat and I would never be able to find one in the right color anyway since I did my own Interrior work, I changed the interior color to match the exterior  all I'm wanting is an adjustable seat now where I can raise and lower it 

• Options
    shawnmjr said:
    I think your going to have trouble finding one like a desk chair because I wouldn't see it lasting long with all the bouncing. That would be pretty cool if the manufacturer started making something like that. The only thing I can think of is maybe try to find some type of air ride or really small airbag with a very small compressor and fabricate a air ride seat like a semi tractor has. 
     What about AC but just twist around to the right to go up and twist around to the left to go down like a big screw I've had this jersey did that also but I know the set up with my desk chair right now with the levers would not be sturdy enough for a boat but it looks like they would make something like that for a boat 
  • Options
    That's supposed to say what about a seat god a hate my iPhone sometimes not AC lol
  • Options
    Ebay has tons of them, for very cheap.  Just search for "adjustable height pedestal boat" 
    2000 Captiva 232 
  • Options
    dwolf said:
    shawnmjr said:
    I think your going to have trouble finding one like a desk chair because I wouldn't see it lasting long with all the bouncing. That would be pretty cool if the manufacturer started making something like that. The only thing I can think of is maybe try to find some type of air ride or really small airbag with a very small compressor and fabricate a air ride seat like a semi tractor has. 
     What about AC but just twist around to the right to go up and twist around to the left to go down like a big screw I've had this jersey did that also but I know the set up with my desk chair right now with the levers would not be sturdy enough for a boat but it looks like they would make something like that for a boat 
     I have found boat seat pedestals online that does work exactly like my desk chair,they work on a hydraulic system where you pull lever,the seat rises up and you push the lever,the seat lowers, but they are made for a smaller diameter pedestal than once in my boat but I'm going to see if I can make an adapter for it would be pretty cool if I could I really like the way my desk chair operates by the way my desk chair sees a lot of action so and it's held at through it all , I have a girlfriend that likes to run and jump in my lap constantly when I'm sitting at my desk so it has seen its fair share of abuse and it still working  lol

• Options
    spalmer114spalmer114 Member Posts: 29 ✭✭
    I am having the same issue in my 34' Fiesta Vee.  To start, I plan on ordering one of these, www.bolsterbuddy.com  to see how well it works, before investing money in a new seat (if I can even find one).
  • Options
    I am having the same issue in my 34' Fiesta Vee.  To start, I plan on ordering one of these, www.bolsterbuddy.com  to see how well it works, before investing money in a new seat (if I can even find one).
    Here's what I did to solve the problem I took a piece of galvanized pipe that is just slightly smaller than the original factory seat post cut a slot out in it about 8 inches long and I put a bolt with a handle on it to where I could twist it by hand and tighten it up, and when I want to adjust the seat height I just loosen it and pull the seat up in and tighten it back down this solve the problem.seat can be adjusted from slightly higher than factory setting to 8 inches higher than the factory setting which is plenty of height it's more than you would get with the bolster probably. This fixed cost me absolutely nothing which is what I prefer. I also came across a hydraulic set up to where it would cushion the ride in it mounts the same way  Seat can be adjusted any word from just slightly higher than the factory seat height to 8 inches higher
  • Options
    I think I plan on going this route, which is basically the same thing you did, just a little bit more polished look. 

https://www.amazon.com/Wise-8WP21-18S-Adjustable-Boat-Pedestal/dp/B001603LD6/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1484107970&sr=8-1&keywords=adjustable+pedestal+boat+seat
    2000 Captiva 232 
  • Options
    I ordered the one from Amazon today, I'll let you know how mine works once I get it  B)
    2000 Captiva 232 
  • Options
    Here's how mine turned out. $70 bucks on Amazon. 
    2000 Captiva 232 
  • Options
    Lake_Bum said:
    I think I plan on going this route, which is basically the same thing you did, just a little bit more polished look. 

https://www.amazon.com/Wise-8WP21-18S-Adjustable-Boat-Pedestal/dp/B001603LD6/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1484107970&sr=8-1&keywords=adjustable+pedestal+boat+seat
    that was only a mock up of mine,its now polished out  and looks real nice,cost me nothing. thats a nice set up u got there,good price too. if i had ran across this before making mine i would of ordered me the same thing.why do they make boats without a bolster or adjustable seat anyway?
  • Options
    rsscogginsrsscoggins Member Posts: 5
     I know this is a couple of years old but LakeBum, if you are out there, did this bolt up directly to your existing holes? 

Was the original pedestal lagged in with screw or through bolted?