Options

Captains call exhaust

dwolfdwolf Member Posts: 157 ✭✭
 I'm needing to replace the flappers in my exhaust I have captains call exhaust and I cannot find any information anywhere that tells me where these  flappers should be located. The service manual doesn't show the captains college sauced it shows the factory exhaust which looks nothing like my exhaust therefore the flappers definitely are in the factory  position because it shows the flappers after the Y so the flappers ref the after the Y then that's not gonna stop water from coming in  so the only place they could be would be between the risers and the sooner and switch for the captains call which is a very small area and it's rubber.  I'll see if I can take a picture of what my sauce looks like and see if someone can give me any tips on where is the flappers are located 

Comments

• Options
    LaReaLaRea Member, Moderator Posts: 7,555 mod
    I love voice recognition software.  "Captain's call exhaust" becomes "captains college sauced" ... that's hilarious.  Just don't take it for granite.
  • Options
    LaRea said:
    I love voice recognition software.  "Captain's call exhaust" becomes "captains college sauced" ... that's hilarious.  Just don't take it for granite.
    Lol,  yeah that was funny right there , I don't know how I can have a $1200 iPhone and it can misunderstand me so much because I don't stutter I speak plain English I went back before after I already sent a message and read it and it was so far off from what I said that I couldn't even remember what it was I said it had me so confused . **** iPhones and voice recognition software
  • Options
    randy56randy56 Member Posts: 4,083 ✭✭✭✭✭
    most look like this on the outside of your exhaust pipe, to keep water from coming in.
    4 inch Marine Boat Thru Hull Wet Exhaust Flapper Cover Backflow Guard Valve
    Boat Name : 

• Options
    Cableguy GregCableguy Greg Member Posts: 5,012 ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Alswagg might be able to answer that question for you. Corsa is the manufacturer for the 232's Captains Choice exhaust. The flapper that Randy posted above is for exhaust than exits the rear of the boat. If it is factory on a 232, it exits the aft sides of the boat and the exhaust ports are oval.
    2008 280 Express Cruiser, 6.2MPI, B3, Pittsburgh, PA "Blue Ayes"
    Go Steelers!!!
  • Options
    randy56randy56 Member Posts: 4,083 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sorry! I did not know they came out the side, my bad.
    Boat Name : 

• Options
    randy56 said:
    most look like this on the outside of your exhaust pipe, to keep water from coming in.
    4 inch Marine Boat Thru Hull Wet Exhaust Flapper Cover Backflow Guard Valve
    Yeah mine are nothing like that mine are inside the exhaust system somewhere as my exhaust exits out the sides where this is flappers that goes on the outside of rear exhaust. The flappers I need to replace our somewhere inside my exhaust system I just don't know where none of the diagrams  i've seen so far even gives a clue they do show flappers inside of exhaust they're not showing my exhaust system I'm assuming that they're going to have to be right at the risers otherwise they wouldn't block all  possible water intrusion and being that there's two pipes on each side one out  goes to the rear exhaust and one goes to the side exhaust  Plus my exhaust has cut off's so I'm assuming it's gonna have to be between the cut off in the riser but I'm not seeing anything anywhere in my exhaust system or something like this could be located. How easy is it for water to come in through the side exhaust and come up into the risers in the first place?i'm going to send it for at least one full season I've not had any flappers in my exhaust system at all  because when I pulled the outdrive they all fell out and they look like they have been laying there a while. I've been in all kinds of water conditions and I've not had any water intrusion so far nor do I want any so if I really need these I need to know where they're located so I can replace them because the service manual is not been any help and neither has the parts manual 
  • Options
    @Alswagg might be able to answer that question for you. Corsa is the manufacturer for the 232's Captains Choice exhaust. The flapper that Randy posted above is for exhaust than exits the rear of the boat. If it is factory on a 232, it exits the aft sides of the boat and the exhaust ports are oval.
     From what I can figure out by looking at diagrams online these exhaust flappers are down in the Y pipe so since I don't use the y pipe why would I need the exhaust flappers I would only need them for my side exhaust but it has no flappers so what would be the point in me replacing these because I don't use my rear exhausted all ?  And even if I did use the rear exhaust the inlets are so tiny the way they come out through the outdrive I don't see enough water possibly coming in through there to get into the risers but again I don't use exhaust out the back I only use the side exhaust and from what I'm concluding from the diagrams flappers in the y pipes will do absolutely no good for the side exhaust whatsoever because  The side exhaust  completely bypasses the Y pipe. Someone correct me if I'm wrong but I have searched and searched and searched and this is the best I can come up with the manual doesn't even give you a clue where to look I just basically points to the exhaust.  How can fibers that are located in the Y pipe keep water from my side exhaust going into the risers because my side exhaust completely bypass is the Y pipe the Y pipe is after my side exhaust so I guess I won't be replacing these flappers after all since they would be doing absolutely no good if I get water in my risers it's gonna be coming through the side exhaust not the rear I never open up the rear exhaust.I hope someone can chime in here and either confirm or deny what I've concluded
  • Options
    I still haven't figured out where the flappers are in my exhaust I'm getting ready right now to just start tearing  The exhaust system apart piece by piece until I find where they go,I don't understand how they could possibly do the side exhaust any good because the side exhaust joins the riser on the engine side of the Y pipe and I'm told that the flappers are in the Y pipe so therefore they're not gonna do any good  that I can see I would think they would have to be between the riser and where they said exhaust connects to the riser because if the flappers or after with a side exhaust joins I don't see how they could possibly do anything can anyone chime in on this and let me know what's up
  • Options
    If anywhere, the flappers will be at the top of the Y pipe that sends the exhaust thru the prop. I am trying to figure out the part number for mine, but it comes up thru the transom serial number and not the engine. Unfortunately I don't have that one at this time.
    Go Steelers!!!
  • Options
    reneechris14reneechris14 Member Posts: 3,134 ✭✭✭✭✭
    2005 Rinker FV342  Pawcatuck river,Ct
  • Options
    I wonder if they are the same for all of the boats. That NuWave Marine seems to have some really good prices.
    Go Steelers!!!
  • Options
    I have already ordered the exhaust flappers the thing is I don't see how they're going to do my boat any good because are used to side exhaust only in the way my rear exhaust is made looks like it will be virtually impossible for any water to come in through the rear exhaust because it doesn't  exit through the prop, it exits through some small events in the side of the outdrive . Some what I'm gathering from all of this that my side exhaust have no flappers am I correct ? I keep the other exhaust shut off they go out the rear so what would be the chance of any water getting through there anyway the only place water could come in would be the side exhaust if the wave was to come in just right as far as I can tell the flappers won't do them any good so if what I'm concluding here is all true fin what would be the point of me installing an exhaust flappers since I have the call  Side exhaust and never used through exhaust can anyone give me a reason why I need to tear the exhaust system apart to put flappers and in this case if I need him I'll sure do it I was about to do that right now but I'm gonna wait till I get a response thank you so much for your help 
  • Options
    still havent figured out if i need flappers in my captains call exhaust. sense  i only use the side exhaust,never use the rear through the ports in the out drive,does my boat still need flappers? im thinking and could be wrong,but if no exhaust goes out then how could water get in where it could be a problem? wont the cutoffs in the exhaust prevent water intrusion if they have rear exhaust cut off where only side exhaust is used? im still not sure exactly where the flappers go,are the flappers located before the Y in order to prevent water   intrusion from side and rear exhaust at same time? if i need to replace the flappers i will but if its not necessary,i wont even though i already  have the new ones,the old flappers came out when i removed out drive for service. i hope someone can give me the answer i need without a doubt. i can see needing them if i were using rear exhaust,but i have never used it,i love the sound of the big block 7.4 coming out the sides. thank you for your time.
  • Options
    DmcpheeDmcphee Member Posts: 11
    They only take about 15 mins a side to change them.  Mine were in the top of the y pipe.  Does your captains call seal off the Y pipe? Or do they remain open and then the side pipes just open too? If they don't seal the Y pipe I would replace them for the cost and time it takes.   They just stop water from backing up into the stern drive when stopping, and this could be still a risk if the Y pipe is open, small but still.  Under 100 bucks and a few beers and your not worrying about it anymore.