Options

Transom Locker Lift Assist Struts for a 2006 300EC?

RustySRustyS Member Posts: 83 ✭✭

Does anyone know the length I need for the transom locker lift struts?

My new to me '06 300 door will not stay up and I don't want any more bumps on the head this next season from door closing on me.

If you know the length/size and where best place to purchase I would appreciate it!

Comments

• Options
    Handymans342Handymans342 Member Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Larea should know this.
  • Options
    Liberty44140Liberty44140 Member Posts: 4,329 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2017
    The rear locker on my 2006 342 takes two of the Attwod SL36-50-5 gas springs. I replaced them both just this past summer due to the head issues you mentioned. Got them on Amazon for around $20 ea. Well worth it! 
    07' Cruisers 390 (Previous Rinker's: 06' 342EC & 01' 310FV)

• Options
    LaReaLaRea Member, Moderator Posts: 7,548 mod
    @RustyS - does your hatch open all the way up?  On my 370, I installed longer springs.  It's one of the best mods I've done recently.  Check this discussion:

http://rinkerboats.vanillaforums.com/discussion/5613/how-to-make-the-transom-locker-door-open-to-full-height-on-360-370

Your 300 will be a little different, but you could probably do something similar.  In any case, it's easy to remove one of the springs and get the model number.  Use a small flat screwdriver to pry up the release at the end of the spring, and it will pop right off with very little force.
  • Options
    Liberty44140Liberty44140 Member Posts: 4,329 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2017
    Not sure about the 2006, 300 but on my 2006, 342 the springs I sent the link to do open the hatch all the way similar to your "after" pic @LaRea. Nice improvement on yours, that partial opening could not have been fun to crawl under!
    07' Cruisers 390 (Previous Rinker's: 06' 342EC & 01' 310FV)

• Options
    RustySRustyS Member Posts: 83 ✭✭
    edited January 2017

@LaRea the hatch opening height is satisfactory on the 300; I viewed your thread and I don't recall the full-open being as low as your 370.

My lift springs are simply shot and I am looking to replace. I will examine the full-open and possibly take your tips to heart when installing new; thanks for that!

Boat is under shrinkwrap and not accessible. Just looking to get the new springs ordered, here, and waiting for the Spring. Thought somebody would know for sure the part brand and # so I wouldn't have to wait til getting back on her.

@Liberty44140 thanks for the lead; I will check this out.

Maybe in the meantime somebody who knows for sure or has a 300 can confirm if the parts are same as a 342.

• Options
    charlieanna1983charlieanna1983 Member Posts: 17
    I tried to install new longer struts so that I could open the rear locker door all the way instead of the way it currently opens which doesn't give anyone much chance to see inside. The struts are 17" when compressed with an extended length of 28". I lowered the bottom bracket to within 5" of the bottom frame of the locker. When I tried to close the locker door it wouldn't shut. I think I have to move the brackets further down the side closer to the bottom ledge of the locker but I don't want to keep making holes in the side frame unless I know where specifically they should be placed. Does anyone know how to calculate where the brackets should go based on the extended length of the strut (i.e. 28") 
  • Options
    YYZRCYYZRC Member Posts: 4,908 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2021
    I positioned them with about 1/2” space between the bracket and the bottom of the opening. 

2008 350 EC on Georgian Bay