Options

insurance

rasburyrasbury Member Posts: 8,242 ✭✭✭✭✭
Renewal time... We have an 05 270 and did our policy through boat us. Are new bill shows it is now underwritten by geico. Our policy cost is 732. Our coverage amounts are: Hull and equipment agreed value: 33000 Towing: 250 Liability: 300,000 Fuel spill; 939800 (odd amount) Medical: 10 grand Trailer: 2 grand Personal effects: 5 grand Uninsured boater: 300,000 How do I compare, I'm in Florida!

Comments

• Options
    StodgeStodge Member Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭✭
    I have the same company, and that premium sounds a little high.  I better go see if my quote for 2017 is available yet.  My mechanic has been suggesting I move to another company for a few years.  He bases that on how easily they pay claims.  I guess BoatUS is a little picky about paying.

2002 FV 342 on Lake St. Clair - Past Commodore SHC - Vessel Examiner USCGAUX

• Options
    Lake_BumLake_Bum Member Posts: 932 ✭✭✭✭
    All I have to add......is DO NOT go with Progressive Insurance. Absolute worst insurance to have....
    2000 Captiva 232 
  • Options
    Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,561 mod
    For Florida that is probably pretty good.  I've recommended Global Nautical to several people and they all ended up switching to them.  I have no affiliation with them.  Unfortunately I've had two claims with them.  They were very easy to deal with on both of them and my rates are still really great despite the two claims.

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

• Options
    06Rinker27006Rinker270 Member Posts: 1,277 ✭✭✭
    edited January 2017
    I dont have any experience with any other companies but I love BoatUS and this will be my 4th year.  I have made two claims with them and they paid to investigate first claim(I knew it wouldn't cover but tried anyways) and they paid for the second which was faulty winterization.  My payment has gone down every year.  We have basically the same package.  My premium is lower but my hull value is less, I dont have a trailer, and my med payments and personal affects are less.  Yours seems about right to me.    

You got me wondering if I should raise my Medical Payments as I now see mine is only $1000 and my personal affects is only $500.  What do other have?    

Patrick
    06 Rinker 270
  • Options
    I would for sure raise the med- a grand will only cover a band aid!
  • Options
    Excuse my ignorance but isnt that why I have my own medical insurance?  The liability covers others.
    Patrick
    06 Rinker 270
  • Options
    So, some other reputable companies we can get a quote from? I see the one above...
  • Options
    I think that is to cover others as passengers...
  • Options
    unless I'm wrong and I don't need it either, would have to look back at the policy...I'm not sure if my medical insurance from work would cover a boating accident...I am insurance poor but can't afford to get hit with those kinds of bills either...
  • Options
    I just called Boat US and they said its a "secondary medical insurance" to fill in if you max out your personal insurance policy.  Liability covers your passengers.  
    Patrick
    06 Rinker 270
  • Options
    randy56randy56 Member Posts: 4,083 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have my boatowners policy with the same company as my Homeowners.
     American Family. Been boating 35 years never a claim
    $523.00 
    boat actual cash value
    motor actual cash value
    liability          300,000
    equipment         1,000
    deductible           $250.00
    Boat Name : 

• Options
    Sounds like we need to check around a bit...
  • Options
    califcocalifco Member Posts: 59 ✭✭
    edited January 2017
    I have Allstate, here is My 2017 coverage, if paid in full I get $100 off from the total.
  • Options
    JoeStangJoeStang Member Posts: 1,116 ✭✭✭✭
    Mines $450 for my 2013 276 here in the Great Lakes. Hull value of $60k and the normal coverages. I dont have a trailer though.

It used to be $335 before the switch to Geico, but in the end BoatUS has been good to deal with, but I've never made a claim, so I dont know 100%.
    2013 276 Cuddy ~ 350 MAG / B3
  • Options
    One of you guys up in MI need to do a check for me and get a quote from Global Marine Insurance.  I have coverage on my 400 for $150k.  At this point I can't off-hand remember all the other numbers, but I know they are similar to what others have posted.  After having two large claims, unfortunately, I'm paying ~$700.  Some of you know about the claims I've had and I was extremely fortunate to deal with such a great insurance company.  I had BUS insurance for my first 13 years of boating and never had to make a claim.  Bought this boat and switched to Global and bang, had a big claim in second year.  I really thought crap, they are going to explode on me.  Nope.  Second claim was my outdrive.  They replaced it brand new. Two of my dock neighbors have been boaters for a long time.  They switched after they saw how good I was taken care of and also because it was a lot lower premiums.  Again, I'm not selling them.  I'm not affiliated with them.  Also, my coverage is entire east coast and Bahamas.

• Options
    We will check with them Dream....sounds like you have a pretty good deal. Mine does not have that much coverage, has only what a 3rd of the hull value for the same price..
  • Options
    StodgeStodge Member Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭✭
    califco said:
    I have Allstate, here is My 2017 coverage, if paid in full I get $100 off from the total.

I pay about 60% of that with BoatUS insurance for $60k agreed value on the boat.

2002 FV 342 on Lake St. Clair - Past Commodore SHC - Vessel Examiner USCGAUX

• Options
    nhsdnhsd Member Posts: 182 ✭✭✭
    Apparently unlike Lake_Bum, I have had great experience with Progressive with two significant claims (First was the boat was totaled when the marina was washed away in a flood and the second was when I hit a log and tore my outdrive off). They were prompt and courteous in settling fairly both claims. I am sure that my coverages and rate does not give Rasbury any comparative given the difference in size and value of our boats and the MAJOR difference in location and usage (Pennsylvania and summer usage on a river vs. Florida and year round usage in bays and ocean), but with agreed upon value of $15,500, $300K liability, $30K uninsured boater, $0 deductible on collision/comp (disappearing deductible due to no claims in 3 years), $500 deductible on Marine Electronics and $250 deductible on the trailer, my rate is $205.

Dave

2002 Captiva 212, 5.0 220 hp, Alpha 1, 1.62 gears

Moon Township, PA - boating in the Ohio River

• Options
    califcocalifco Member Posts: 59 ✭✭
    Dream_Inn said:
    One of you guys up in MI need to do a check for me and get a quote from Global Marine Insurance.  I have coverage on my 400 for $150k.  At this point I can't off-hand remember all the other numbers, but I know they are similar to what others have posted.  After having two large claims, unfortunately, I'm paying ~$700.  Some of you know about the claims I've had and I was extremely fortunate to deal with such a great insurance company.  I had BUS insurance for my first 13 years of boating and never had to make a claim.  Bought this boat and switched to Global and bang, had a big claim in second year.  I really thought crap, they are going to explode on me.  Nope.  Second claim was my outdrive.  They replaced it brand new. Two of my dock neighbors have been boaters for a long time.  They switched after they saw how good I was taken care of and also because it was a lot lower premiums.  Again, I'm not selling them.  I'm not affiliated with them.  Also, my coverage is entire east coast and Bahamas.
    Thanks Dream_inn, I called Global Marine and it is cheaper than my current policy. I received two quotes for different deductibles:

• Options
    I  know there has to be a difference for where I am at....we are going to check with Global and see what they offer us, never hurts to ask!
  • Options

@califco Looks like a good price compared to what you currently have.  I was always leary of switching insurance on my boat, especially after being with BUS for so long.  I even thought I'd switch back to them after the first year I had my current boat (at the time I bought my boat, the person I was dealing with in Annapolis made it very easy and convenient to just use Global, so I did).  When I got a quote from BUS after being a year away from them, it was more than double the price.  So I stuck with Global and was a bit nervous cause I really didn't know how they'd work out.  After close to $40k worth in 2 different claims, they were very responsive and have worked out fine. 

So, Ras, it doesn't hurt the check them out.

• Options
    212rowboat212rowboat Member Posts: 2,591 ✭✭✭✭✭
    in your case, Rasbury, I'd up the trailer insurance.  I'd take it WAY up.  :smiley:
  • Options
    I don't think they insure for me just being dumb!
  • Options
    davidbrooksdavidbrooks Member Posts: 1,347 ✭✭✭✭
    Gents i had insurance through SeaInsure affiliate of SeaTow for my first boat.  Never had to make a claim and it was very competitive.  With this boat i with with United and it was cheaper.  I was in the process of closing on the boat sale and there was a hurricane coming up the coast.  SeaInsure wouldn't write the policy till after the storm passed.  United would.  I haven't had to use them so i can't comment on anything other than how fast they process my payment check.

It's 5 O'Clock Somewhere!
  • Options
    wow, either I'm really getting nailed on my insurance or it is flat just more here in FL- we will be checking with some of these other companies. Sounds like all your rates are pretty much in line with each other and I'm the same or higher price for a 270 and I'm also half to a third is some case of the hull values you have. I assume it is just FL with our extended boating season as well as the hurricane threat- both of which are worth living in FL!
  • Options
    davidbrooksdavidbrooks Member Posts: 1,347 ✭✭✭✭
    @rasbury i have a friend that just moved his 40ft Monterey down to FL from Annapolis.  His insurance went up $400.  

It's 5 O'Clock Somewhere!
  • Options
    welliswellis Member Posts: 57 ✭✭
    Same boat and coverage, just not ocean. Was with boas US @ almost $700 now with Marine Underwriters Agency at $320/yr.

Mary Ann Thomason

800-631-2147

www.marineunderwriters.com