eisenglass replacement or buy new.

skennellyskennelly Member Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭✭
So my windshield connector on my fv 270 is shot.  I got a quote from Ameritex for $348 to replace it.

Seems like a reasonable price...but has anyone ever had just the glass replaced on their connector?  Zippers are still good just the glass is shot.

ball park in cost vs buying from 
Ameritex?

Thanks
2002 - 270FV Mag 350 B3

Comments

• Handymans342Handymans342 Member Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I had mine done. A lot cheaper than new if you know of a good shop
  • Cableguy GregCableguy Greg Member Posts: 5,011 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Try getting in touch with @boattech01 (TJ) and see if he has one in stock. He has pretty good prices on Rinker canvas. RNR marine has the connector for $593.
    2008 280 Express Cruiser, 6.2MPI, B3, Pittsburgh, PA "Blue Ayes"
    Go Steelers!!!
  • MarkBMarkB Member Posts: 3,960 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I had just the glass replaced and it cost more than just replacing the piece with a new one (which I did the following year). 

New is made using a computer that works off a template. Replacement requires manual restitching and labor isn't cheap. 

Boat Name: King Kong

"Boat + Water = Fun"

• skennellyskennelly Member Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭✭
    @MarkB - That's what my gut is telling me...like I said quoted $348 shipped from the original manufacturer Ameritex...I'll go that route.
    2002 - 270FV Mag 350 B3
  • Glassguy54Glassguy54 Member Posts: 588 ✭✭✭
    I've found that RNR Marine's prices are WAY higher than Ameritex, and Ameritex is the OEM supplier.
    Did you get a quote from a canvas shop???
  • Liberty44140Liberty44140 Member Posts: 4,318 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2017
    Get in touch with TJ as recommended, he will sell you Ameritex for less than the direct quote you got. I got a new front connector for my 342 from him last spring. Best price, was ameritex, perfect fit and color. I paid just over $300. boattech01@aol.com Is his email 
    07' Cruisers 390 (Previous Rinker's: 06' 342EC & 01' 310FV)

• califcocalifco Member Posts: 59 ✭✭
    I had the front glass of my 312 replaced last year for $330. They sawed the new plastic on top of the old one and then cut out the old glass. 
    califco said:
    I had the front glass of my 312 replaced last year for $330. They sawed the new plastic on top of the old one and then cut out the old glass. 
    That is what the PO of my boat had done since he left the glass up all the time. IMO, it looks awful, but I rarely use it, so it isn't a deal breaker for me.
    Go Steelers!!!
    I've found that RNR Marine's prices are WAY higher than Ameritex, and Ameritex is the OEM supplier.
    I agree. I was just throwing it out there as an option. I get the feeling that they purchase from Ameritex and mark it way up. Sounds like a great business plan.
    Go Steelers!!!
    Talk to TJ on this his username is boattech01, his prices are the best I've found. It was half the price of replacing the glass and using the old surround. 

"Boat + Water = Fun"

• diggin2day1diggin2day1 Member Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭✭
    I just dropped all my canvas off yesterday to get all the Velcro corners redone. I also asked them to give me a quote on replacing the windshield connector isinglass and installing (2) horseshoe zippered windows in it. Last year I installed one "horseshoe window" in front of the helm and it cost me $120. I'll repost when I get the quotes back... might just get a new connector and add the windows. 
    @MarkB I sent TJ an email.

Thx
    2002 - 270FV Mag 350 B3
    edited January 2017
    Got the quotes back... having all the Velcro replaced on entire top, new isinglass for the windshield connector and a horseshoe zippered window on each side of connector.... $500. If I were to buy a new connector I would still have to pay for two zippered windows and have all snaps installed... 
    Post edited by diggin2day1 on
    @MarkB - TJ came through and is saving me some dough vs going to Ameritex directly.  Thanks for the reference.  Order is placed with him.

@diggin2day1 - Admiral wanted me to not mess around and go with new.  
    2002 - 270FV Mag 350 B3
    Glad it worked out.

"Boat + Water = Fun"

Got all my canvas back today. Unrolled my windshield connector to check it out... all new isinglass and 2 roll-up windows(picture is from inside). May 1st can't come fast enough!!
  • randy56randy56 Member Posts: 4,083 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice, do you leave your's up all the time? I do not and use cockpit cover. what's the out drive doin over there?
    Boat Name : 

randy56- I don't leave it up all season, only here and there.... I pull the outdrive in the winter and store it in my garage. I built that outdrive stand for the Bravo 3 to slide into... actually built a bunch of them and sold them for $75 each(keeps me connected to the boat in the winter time). Lol
  • reneechris14reneechris14 Member Posts: 3,134 ✭✭✭✭✭
    me too,made the height so I can get them off the boat by my self.
    2005 Rinker FV342  Pawcatuck river,Ct
    Put them in the basement to stay warm
    I pull my props, but I never would have thought of pulling my drives.
    Go Steelers!!!
  • randy56randy56 Member Posts: 4,083 ✭✭✭✭✭
    LOL, I'm glad you have a good relationship with your drive's .
    Boat Name : 

Yes yes I like to check Thier seals ,ujoints and gimbal in fall so I have time to repair.droping them off at the spa next week 1200$ reseal both.should make are relationship stronger and worry fee.
  • RustySRustyS Member Posts: 83 ✭✭

I have always pulled the drive on boats owned. My first year with a twin.

Twice the amount of work for me now. Have just started and finished sanding down my port side. Next weekend will wash with Metal Prep, apply Alodyne, then zinc chromate primer, Phantom Black, and finish with clear....then start the process all over again. This warm snap in the snow belt area I live in has triggered my cruising fever!

Have always been a Volvo guy until this year. Was the only guy in marina that pulled them every year and often accused of my boat being excessively maintained. Well, when all of us moved up to 30 footers this year our boat sold to first person who looked at her....and now others are pulling their drives every season. Must be something to it?

Both units are off a 2006 with only 100 hours but the boat has been in water entire season her whole life. The rear carrier has some corrosion and units have been touched up over the years with an overall good/very good condition. Don't think the props have ever been removed until this year from the looks of rear carrier and nearby areas. Hoping for the best by starting to care for them now as they should have been.

Love the stands @reneechris14. I have seen many variations of them over the years but first time seeing one like that. Whatever works; right? The stand makes the removal/reinstall a 1-man job.

And yes @randy56 I have a good relationship with mine as well. Lol