Acrylic or Stratoglass References

jme097jme097 Member Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭
Hey guys, I messaged TJ for a cost on the OEM eisenglass for the front of my 280. I am throwing around the idea of doing the windshield piece and the 2 front sides in acrylic or stratoglass for the clarity factor so I don't have to hunch over to look out the actual windshield glass or take them down every time. Anyone know of a reference that can provide pricing by chance? I looked locally here in Metro-Detroit but nothing. Thanks fellas
Boat Name: Knot A Worry
2007 280 Rinker Express 6.2L B3

Comments

• wm61356wm61356 Member Posts: 201 ✭✭✭
    I had a complete enclosure made by A1 canvas in Harrison Township. MI. The owner (Jeff) does all of the work personally. I went with Stratoglass on all of my clear panels. The difference in clarity is significant. The phone number is (586) 468-4440. Additionally, my boat is in heated storage in Harrison Twp. If you'd like to see A1's work first hand, I could arrange to meet you at the boat so you can look at what they did for me. Just IM me if you're interested.
  • Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,556 mod
    I would think there would be a custom shop that is around that could do the work, as mentioned by wm.  I had stratoglass on the front of my 310 and loved it. I was still able to remove it and roll it.  You can get different thickness for it. When I replace it on my 400, that is what I will have as well.

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

• jme097jme097 Member Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭
    edited January 2017
    @Dream_Inn you were able to roll the stratoglass? I have been told that you can't roll it? Regardless, it is an avenue I definitely want to explore as it makes navigating 10x easier with the top up and also helps when I go to sell it lol.  Any idea of what gauge strataglass you went with? Just trying to get a good idea how material and such
    Post edited by jme097 on
  • Liberty44140Liberty44140 Member Posts: 4,329 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That's right, usually stratoglass is hard and can not be rolled. It's clarity is awesome. It usually used for hard top applications like a flybridge where you leave it up all the time. I think it would be fine for both sides of the front connector but you would want the middle to be rollable. 
    07' Cruisers 390 (Previous Rinker's: 06' 342EC & 01' 310FV)

• Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,556 mod
    edited January 2017

@jme097 it has been a while ago, but I believe I had gone with 40 mil gauge.  & yes, it did roll, but I did try to lie it flat when possible.  Most people think of strataglass as the really thick stuff, which is great.  But they do make it thinner as well.  Regalite is also supposed to be good but doesn't have the strataglass coating (which is their scratch resistant coating).

Oh, note that if you wear polarized sunglasses, you may not want to go with the tinted. 

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

• Black_DiamondBlack_Diamond Member Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yup. Go with the thinner Strataglas. It will roll (not super tight tho).  I used it in all my camper canvas pieces for my 342. Great stuff. 

Past owner of a 2003 342FV
    PC BYC, Holland, MI
    Try these guys too:

canvasinnovations.us

Chris is the guy to talk too. 

PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • jme097jme097 Member Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭
    @Black_Diamond Do you still have your 342? How long have you had the strataglass for? Just curious as to how it held up over the seasons
    Still have my 342. Tinted Strataglas and Stamoid 'canvas'.  Both have held up fantastic. Going on year 6-7 I think.  Completely clear. Pic below has the center section out. 

PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • Handymans342Handymans342 Member Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Still got the old gauges too. LOL
    Nope.  Look close at the two white faced ones.  Twinscan tach and Floscan fuel flow meter on the right.  Engine hour meters are the two small gauges where the original GPS was.  Raymarine C-70 installed to the left of the wheel.  New VHF w/DSC too a few years ago. 

All the cup holders are now SS versions too.

PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • frenchshipfrenchship Member Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭
    The twinscan tach is the best replacement for the none reliable Faria tach
    Still brass rings
    I reused the brass rings.  Plus had to make a spacer to fit in the smaller twinscan gauge. Kept the 'look'. 

PC BYC, Holland, MI
    I reused the brass rings.  Plus had to make a spacer to fit in the smaller twinscan gauge. Kept the 'look'. 
    Anyone else on here replaced the brass rings or painted them???
  • raybo3raybo3 Administrator Posts: 5,457 admin
    Mine were painted black when I bought the boat. They are just now starting to "show" their age and need to be redone. I have had the boat for 8 years now...
    2002 342 Fiesta Vee PC Point Of Pines YC Revere MA. popyc.org     raybo3@live.com
    I am thinking stainless paint
  • Glassguy54Glassguy54 Member Posts: 588 ✭✭✭
    I want to do 1 at a time. Too many wires
    You could get them 'wrapped' too. 

PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • J3ffJ3ff Member Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Prices people post prices :) 
    I replaced the whole camper top, added in zip in screen panels, tinted Strataglas, Stamoid material and made quite a few modifications from stock.  So the cost might be well off what many might do.  I think I was in the $6k range.

PC BYC, Holland, MI