Options

trailer tires

floater212floater212 Confirm Email, Member Posts: 121 ✭✭
last year I had a BAD season, 3 blowouts in about 2 weeks, tires were 2-3yrs old, so I'm looking at new tires since I have 3 different tires, also going up to a 10ply. what tires do you guys like and why? some tire I see say to inflate to 80lbs., do you inflate to that or do you inflate a little less, say 77, 75 or even 70lbs? I have the trailmaster heavy single axle for my 212 rinker captiva which is 3500-3600lbs with no fuel. any info will help greatly! thanks!!!

Comments

• Options
    Handymans342Handymans342 Member Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Inflate to 80 because that is the way the tire is rated. I had to deflate when the trailer is empty because it would bounce too much
  • Options
    rasburyrasbury Member Posts: 8,242 ✭✭✭✭✭
    One other thing I would pass along as I'm having all sorts of issues with tires, make sure your maintenance is up to date on your trailer bearings! My neighbor had such a season last year and he is a nut for maintenance and had recently replaced his tires and then had several blow outs. I don't recall where,but, on the tire somewhere there is the date the tire was made and he found out the "new " tires he had bought were like 10 years old or something crazy! You can google that and find it easily...
  • Options
    Lake_BumLake_Bum Member Posts: 932 ✭✭✭✭
    rasbury said:
    One other thing I would pass along as I'm having all sorts of issues with tires, make sure your maintenance is up to date on your trailer bearings! My neighbor had such a season last year and he is a nut for maintenance and had recently replaced his tires and then had several blow outs. I don't recall where,but, on the tire somewhere there is the date the tire was made and he found out the "new " tires he had bought were like 10 years old or something crazy! You can google that and find it easily...
    Wow.......whatever shop sold him 10 year old tires would never get my business again!   The code for tires is easily found on the sidewall.  It is a 4 digit number, and it stands for the week produced, and the year.  Example,  the third week of January 2016, would read 0316.

Always try to run E rated trailer tires, at or near the max psi  B)
    2000 Captiva 232 
  • Options
    69fastback69fastback Member Posts: 951 ✭✭✭
    Mine say 50, and I use 50. They've been on there for 5 years. 
  • Options
    Robs_232Robs_232 Member Posts: 212 ✭✭✭
    That's a lot of boat for a single axle trailer even with good tires. Weight rating should include trailer weight + boat. Just my opinion.
  • Options
    duane.mosleyduane.mosley Member Posts: 317 ✭✭✭
    Robs_232 said:
    That's a lot of boat for a single axle trailer even with good tires. Weight rating should include trailer weight + boat. Just my opinion.
    agree completely. if you have a 6 lug wheel, then you should be good for 5000lbs-6000lbs  5 lug wheel is usually only up to 3500lbs. 

i use MAXXIS E rated. i was able to get them shipped to pep boys for free and i just picked them up and had them mounted by a friend of mine.

• Options
    randy56randy56 Member Posts: 4,083 ✭✭✭✭✭
    @duane.mosley, A little off topic, hows engine rebuild going?
    Boat Name : 

• Options
    Cableguy GregCableguy Greg Member Posts: 5,012 ✭✭✭✭✭
    On my 232, I had Towmaster Tires. They worked out well for me.
    2008 280 Express Cruiser, 6.2MPI, B3, Pittsburgh, PA "Blue Ayes"
    Go Steelers!!!
  • Options
    duane.mosleyduane.mosley Member Posts: 317 ✭✭✭
    randy56 said:
    @duane.mosley, A little off topic, hows engine rebuild going?
    just took the motor and everything necessary back to the machine shop on monday. he says he should have it done by end of next week maybe week after depending on getting his parts. i decided to just stick with the 5.7 and not stroke it. with air fuel mixture issues and outdrive gear ratio's. decided that it wasn't worth the headache.
  • Options
    frodo13056frodo13056 Member Posts: 212 ✭✭✭
    Just an FYI: Just because you buy tires in 2017 does not mean that they were made in 2017. All tires have a "born on date" and it is not uncommon at all for folks to buy "new" tires that are actually 2-3 years old (or even older) that have been sitting in a warehouse or a dealer's shop all that time. This holds true for any tire - car, trailer, motorcycle, etc. Here's a link from Tire Rack on how to figure out how old your tires really are :http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiretech/techpage.jsp?gclid=CjwKEAiA2abEBRCdx7PqqunM1CYSJABf3qvaKvSx_vFvwMt1MPFC1KXp8wiXaf8aTb6_G_Gestbn_RoCsDTw_wcB&techid=11&s_kwcid=AL!3756!3!105373755973!e!!g!!tire manufacture date&ef_id=WIWOlgAABYfHNY7o:20170127052017:s
    Note that the "born on date" in only required to be on ONE sidewall and not both so if you don't see a date on the outer sidewall, it'll be on the inner side wall.
    Because most trailer tires sit in the sun, they will degrade much faster than tires that sit in a cool dry storage shed. Consider buying a set of tire covers - they do actually work to keep the sun's UV rays from rapidly degrading tires. 
    Lastly, the brand of tires you buy will make a big difference in longevity - I also use the MAXXIS trailer tires for my triple axle trailer - read a lot of reviews and they seem to be one of the most recommended.