Options

guess these calipers are toasted..

rasburyrasbury Member Posts: 8,242 ✭✭✭✭✭
3 of my calipers appear to be totally frozen...I replaced one and rebuilt these three when we bought the boat. When I peeled off the dust boot, full of rust underneath. I the covers were cracked. I don't have a compressor to try and move the pistons but assume if I can't pry them out then they will not be in any condition to rebuild.

Comments

• Options
    Handymans342Handymans342 Member Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You got a lemon trailer Ras
  • Options
    No, just a piece of crap. I guess if I can knock those pistons out I can rebuild for 40...
  • Options
    Brakes, tires, axles bent. Get a new trailer
  • Options
    Cableguy GregCableguy Greg Member Posts: 5,012 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If the slide pin is rusted in place, the caliper is toast. You will have to rebuild/replace all of them to be safe.
    2008 280 Express Cruiser, 6.2MPI, B3, Pittsburgh, PA "Blue Ayes"
    Go Steelers!!!
  • Options
    I'm about done now handy...
  • Options
    The slide puns are fine, its the pistons I can't make budge..
  • Options
    Glassguy54Glassguy54 Member Posts: 588 ✭✭✭
    You should be able able to buy whole new caliper assemblies for around $60 - $80.
    Mine are UFP (Unique Functional Products) DB-35. $60 at trailerpartsdepot.com
    Other brands are Kodiak, Titan & Tie Down Engineering. Other vendors are Pacific Trailers and Eastern Marine. I've replaced all 4 of my calipers.
  • Options
  • Options
    pault1216pault1216 Member Posts: 206 ✭✭✭
    I always pulled my calipers or brake drums and wheel cylinders apart after every salt water vacation. I cleaned everything out and purged the lines. It was the only way I could avoid the parts freezing up. I try not to skimp when it comes to brakes and tires. Good luck!
  • Options
    Robs_232Robs_232 Member Posts: 212 ✭✭✭
    I had to replace my calipers from rain water leaking by my master cylinder cap seal, which dry rotted, and the moisture ruined my master cylinder and caliper piston housings and seals. I bought new calipers with pads from etrailer.com. It was cheaper to buy new than rebuild. This probably has something to do with your tire issues besides your wheel bearing issues.
  • Options
    edited January 2017
    Yep, probably all one package of problems...i was able to get the pistons out if calipers. The caliper housing in the fluid area looks fine, where the dust boot seal got water in is a little rusty but I'm sure with a wire brush and some steel wool, they will clean up fine. There just is not much to these things, a seal and a piston and then something to him them. Pads are fine so although it was a pita do get apart, 240 bucks vs 120 or less for the rebuild gets really made sense to me...the money flow is just constant. I will need tires, again, soon and as you all know, it just never stops so saving a hundred bucks is a " free " tire! I guess when I did this a couple of years ago I must have done something when putting the dust covers on wrong causing them to split and leak setting up today's problem. Will have new brakes, new bearings/seals and races so hopefully getting into a comfortable position to go some places this summer in the best shape the trailer can be. Really want to get back over to the west coast of central Florida as well as south eastern fl intercostal waterways...