Options

Winter project: Cabin stairs

Good afternoon, all.

Well, wifey finally got fed up with the cabin carpet in our 2011 310EC.  She said it had to go.  So, it went.  I just finished installing some interlocking vinyl flooring.  It looks fantastic.  It looks SO good, in fact, that I can't bear the thought of re-installing the old, carpeted cabin stairs over the new floor.  I'd like to get new, stained wood stairs.  Finding bolt-on replacements is proving to be difficult.  Great lakes skipper has the steps I want for the 260 or 280, but apparently not for the 310.
Does anybody have an idea of where to go for these?  
Thanks, everybody!

P.S.-  The boat show is coming up for us here in Detroit.  I even thought about waiting until then, and trying to find a vendor there who could help me.  I'm just not sure if somebody with that particular skill set would have a booth there.  Thoughts on that?

Comments

• Options
    randy56randy56 Member Posts: 4,083 ✭✭✭✭✭
    looks good, I wonder what is under the carpet on those steps. I never looked at mine. Are they wood ? can they be stained and finished? 
    Boat Name : 

• Options
    warrantyvoiderwarrantyvoider Member Posts: 38 ✭✭
    randy56 said:
    looks good, I wonder what is under the carpet on those steps. I never looked at mine. Are they wood ? can they be stained and finished? 
    Unfortunately, no.  It's very rough-cut, rough-looking, cheap plywood.
  • Options
    Handymans342Handymans342 Member Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭✭
    People used that wood to use as a template for a really nice piece
  • Options
    onislandtimeonislandtime Member Posts: 309 ✭✭✭
    edited January 2017
    Looks great! Have you thought about taking the steps to the Amish? They will be cheaper than anyone around and better job. I have my 342 steps sitting with my local Amish and can't wait to see them when they are finished. $150 to do all!!
  • Options
    diggin2day1diggin2day1 Member Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭✭
    WOW, looks amazing!! Can you provide more info on the flooring(where you bought it, brand,etc)? Here is what I am thinking of doing to the steps on my FV270: got to Lowes or HD and buy a oak stair tread. Trace the old carpeted steps onto the oak and cut it out. Run the edges through the router with a small radius round-over bit. Sand, stain to match flooring and then clear coat. Sounds like an easy and fun winter project!!
  • Options
    Looks great! Have you thought about taking the steps to the Amish? They will be cheaper than anyone around and better job. I have my 342 steps sitting with my local Amish and can't wait to see them when they are finished. $150 to do all!!
    Interesting. I may have to check into that. 
    Hmmmmm....... How does one go about locating the metro Detroit Amish contingent?
  • Options
    @diggin2day1 don't forget the bolts. As it is done from the factory they do a 2 piece so you can insert the bolts in-between the 2 pieces. If one piece is used you would have to use "inserts" and screw your bolts into the inserts. 3rd option would to use lag bolts to screw from the bottom into the wood. Just make sure the piece is at least 1 and 1/4" thick to be safe and secure. I plan on having a couple lines routed into the tops to lessen slipping when stepping on. If that doesn't work for your application you can buy rubber cord and glue into the routed lines to help with grip.
  • Options
    Great ideas onislandtime! I have never even looked under the steps or removed them. I just showed my wife a few of these flooring/steps pictures and she loves it... so approval is granted. Lol
  • Options
    WOW, looks amazing!! Can you provide more info on the flooring(where you bought it, brand,etc)? Here is what I am thinking of doing to the steps on my FV270: got to Lowes or HD and buy a oak stair tread. Trace the old carpeted steps onto the oak and cut it out. Run the edges through the router with a small radius round-over bit. Sand, stain to match flooring and then clear coat. Sounds like an easy and fun winter project!!
    The flooring that I bought was this:  
    https://www.lowes.com/pd/Shaw-14-Piece-5-9-in-x-48-in-Franklin-Loose-Lay-Luxury-Residential-Vinyl-Plank/50043184
    Initially, I hadn't given much thought to doing them myself, but you've inspired me to think about it.  How deep do they make that oak stair tread?  I have one step that's over 14 inches deep..... 
  • Options
    For reference, here's what the bolts on the bottom of my steps look like.  Not sure what these puppies are called:

• Options
    Cableguy GregCableguy Greg Member Posts: 5,012 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The steps from GLS don't have the bolts in place. I bought a set last year, but have yet to install them because my 1 1/2 year old (at the time) still crawled up and down the steps. If she does better this summer, I will make the switch. The steps are cherry and are solid 1 1/4" stair tread. I was going to use a 3/4" or 7/8" screw to put mine in place.

If you measure your current steps and compare them to the 280 steps on GLS, they might be the same size.
    2008 280 Express Cruiser, 6.2MPI, B3, Pittsburgh, PA "Blue Ayes"
    Go Steelers!!!
  • Options
    They are Tee Nuts you can get them different sizes and SS if you are putting them outside. Lowe's carry's them. Product Image 1
    Boat Name : 

• Options
    @warrantyvoider those are the wood inserts I was talking about. They screw into the wood (glued also) and have threads so the bolt can screw into. If you have a bandsaw it would not be difficult to fabricate your own steps. Using 2 pieces of wood (gluing the 2 together) risk the wood splitting apart if not glued together correctly. As mentioned before, I have local Amish to rely on. My thought, it would cost me $50 for the oak wood (for 3 steps), $60 for the stain and sealer. So I see it costing me $40 to have a professional do it (as my wife says) right!
  • Options
    We have a lot of Amish cabinet/furniture companys in North IN and Southern MI. 
    http://amishamerica.com/amish-furniture-michigan/

Boat Name : 

• Options
    Those inserts are installed into a drilled hole. In this case(stair tread) they are intended to be hammered into the TOP SIDE of the stair tread and bolted from the bottom so that the bolt pulls the insert into the wood. If you were to install that into the bottom of the step and bolt into it from the same side... it would simple pluck it right out of the wood. 
  • Options
    This is what I would use... it threads into the bottom of the step(using a drilled hole) and I would also add epoxy to outside threads to insure it doesn't come out. Now you have a threaded hole in the bottom of your step to install a matching threaded bolt into. 
  • Options
    Here's a link to insert these type. They will not come out unless you use the steps for other things then they were designed.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tIhEqoKE8Dc

• Options
    That is for posting the video... actually thought the slot was used for installing via flat-head screwdrivers. 
  • Options
    califcocalifco Member Posts: 59 ✭✭
    eBay has the stairs for the 320 maybe they will fit?
  • Options
    reneechris14reneechris14 Member Posts: 3,134 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Love those treads they can keep the pole.
    2005 Rinker FV342  Pawcatuck river,Ct
  • Options
    StodgeStodge Member Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭✭
    I'm in the same boat (pardon the pun).  I still have the carpeted steps.  GLS has individual steps for sale that are like the stairs pictured above (wood with rubber treads).  But they aren't the same shape.  Likely close enough but I'm still trigger shy.  One advantage to the carpet steps is that they are decent traction.  That's my biggest concern with the wood steps, even with the treads.

2002 FV 342 on Lake St. Clair - Past Commodore SHC - Vessel Examiner USCGAUX

• Options
    wm61356wm61356 Member Posts: 201 ✭✭✭
    I have the wood steps in my 320 shown in the picture provided by califco. The treads do a good job and I've never found the steps to be slippery, or had a problem with them in that regard.
  • Options
    Good to know @wm61356

Thanks neighbor! :)

• Options
    califco said:
    eBay has the stairs for the 320 maybe they will fit?
    Those steps themselves would probably work, although the tube frame is completely different.  Additionally, the price tag on this sucker (~$600) is a deal-breaker.  
  • Options
    Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,561 mod
    I'll second the steps with the rubber treads.  My 400 has them and my neighbors 390 does not.  A huge difference having the rubber treads!

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

• Options
    Liberty44140Liberty44140 Member Posts: 4,331 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Agree with comment above that wood steps are not slippery. Our 342 has factory wood steps with treads just like the eBay pic above and they are more than enough to prevent slipping. No issues all summer. 
    07' Cruisers 390 (Previous Rinker's: 06' 342EC & 01' 310FV)

• Options
    BellevilleMXZBellevilleMXZ Member Posts: 732 ✭✭✭
    Just ordered the 260 steps from great lakes----looks identical to my 270 ones....will be nice to ditch the carpet.
    2005 Rinker 270 FV Volvo Penta 5.7Gi
  • Options
    I'm picking up a 1"x12"x12'(smallest piece I could find locally) piece of cherry tomorrow. Ordered some 3/8 rubber piping from Amazon and I am going to make my own... I'll post pictures as I start going with it. 
    Anyone have an idea what color I should stain the cherry steps to match the cherry wood cabinets in my 270? 
  • Options
    Handymans342Handymans342 Member Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    So, has anybody peeled the carpet off the steps in a 342?  Trying to decide between re-using and buying new.  Only problem is that the new steps I found on GLS are upside down (notched out on wrong side).