Options

Vinyl cabin flooring

diggin2day1diggin2day1 Member Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭✭
Looking for reviews on guys that installed vinyl flooring in the cabin. What type of flooring did you use? Locking planks, sheet vinyl or Plasdeck type? Glued, floating or stick-on? MOST IMPORTANTLY.... How has it held up: scratches, separations or peeling up? 
I absolutely love the look of the flooring and can't wait to get started on it. The recent thread on replacing stair treads got my wheels spinning. 
Would love to see pictures of your install too!!!

Comments

• Options
    StodgeStodge Member Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭✭
    We did Lonseal and love it.  I did the demo, removing the carpet.  That was a pain.  But save me some $$ on the install.  

2002 FV 342 on Lake St. Clair - Past Commodore SHC - Vessel Examiner USCGAUX

• Options
    Wow, that looks fantastic!! 
  • Options
    rasburyrasbury Member Posts: 8,242 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I hate the carpeting...no way to keep it clean...
  • Options
    Thanks @diggin2day1.  The guy who did my install make it look great.   I'm not any good at the pretty stuff.  

• Options
    califcocalifco Member Posts: 59 ✭✭
    I noticed that you are from MI, do you mind sharing the cost and info for the guy?
  • Options
    Sadly the guy no longer does that kind of work.  A friend of mine tried to get him to do the same for his boat.  It ran about $350.

• Options
    Anyone do the flooring in a 270.... how did you deal with the "humps" in the forward portion of the floor? Thinking about removing the carpet and installing a 1/2" or even 3/4" plywood base and cut it around the humps the best I can to minimize them. The rest of the floor is flat.  I'm 6' tall and still have about 4 to 5 inches of headroom left. Here's a picture of the humps I'm referring to:

Also thinking about using Allure vinyl plank flooring from Home Depot. I brought home a sample piece and have it soaking in a pot of water for the past 4 hrs to see if it truly is 100% waterproof. Cost is around $55 per box and I'll most likely need 2 boxes.... WAY cheaper(and in my opinion, better looking) than some of theses marine floors. 

• Options
    rasburyrasbury Member Posts: 8,242 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just run it up the hump?
  • Options
    Liberty44140Liberty44140 Member Posts: 4,330 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Agree that you could trim to go up the hump. That said my 342 has a teak n holly floor from the factory and they did not do the teak up the humps, the humps are carpet like the side walls.
    07' Cruisers 390 (Previous Rinker's: 06' 342EC & 01' 310FV)

• Options
    JonnyMJonnyM Member Posts: 302 ✭✭✭
    I just bought 2 boxes of the allure flooring to do my 270's cabin.  I am also worried about the two humps.  I am hoping it will contour to the humps.  I thinking that a heat gun may get it to form around them.
    "Mosi on Dahn"  2003 Fiesta Vee 270
  • Options
    I have the same hump in the 342.  My installer just went over them with the flooring.

• Options
    Stodge said:
    I have the same hump in the 342.  My installer just went over them with the flooring.
    I like how yours looks with the humps covered. I would have definitely done that in your case.
    Johnny I dont think I would take a heat gun to the PVC floor, at least not the top. Stodge's looks like they just glued it in with a nice gradual curve up. Probably used some weight. I would think that would be pretty easy using PVC. 

• Options
    randy56randy56 Member Posts: 4,083 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Having put this same flooring in houses, I use heat gun to soften to cut, on top, experiment with it. It helps. Yes you can get it too hot and melt it. 
    Boat Name : 

• Options

@randy56 Thanks, I figured I could get it to soften a little.  I have used this flooring in my game room and it looks nice.

• Options
    J3ffJ3ff Member Posts: 4,060 ✭✭✭✭✭
    lots of pictures need to be posted. I can't stand the carpeting on my 270.. 
  • Options
    @J3ff The removal was NOT fun.  The carpet is likely glued directly to the fiberglass.  I spent a good 8 hours scraping and swearing to remove mine.

• Options
    Stodge said:
    @J3ff The removal was NOT fun.  The carpet is likely glued directly to the fiberglass.  I spent a good 8 hours scraping and swearing to remove mine.

I am not looking forward to that, any tips to make it easier?
  • Options
    knee pads, a hand held scraper that has the wide (4 inch) replaceable blades,  utility knife with extra blades, ibuprofen and aleve.

• Options

I think I may have left a bottle of vodka on board from last season.  That will probably help too. 

Good call on the 4" scraper.

I don't know how people lay floors for a living.  I did a ceramic tile floor in my house once, never again!

• Options
    Okay, soak test was good... no warping, etc. Also tested a sample piece from lowes(Smartcore) and it was much thicker at 5.5mm but it also didn't warp, etc. I actually like the thicker stuff from lowes but I am a bit worried about being able to heat/bend it around the humps. I gave it a heat gun test and it worked... but it wasn't easy.  Also went to a marine/plastics shop near me to check out Amtico Flooring. It is a glue-down system with individual planks and individual holly spacers. The holly spacers are slightly thinner than the cherry planks... gives it a real feel/look to it. The Amtico is more expensive at $12 per square foot(found it online for about $7 sq ft). The Amtico matches the cherry wood cabinets in my boat perfectly. Not sure which way I'm going yet..., here's a picture of the Amtico:
  • Options
    gackgack Member Posts: 315 ✭✭✭
    I like the look of the Amtico.  Where did you find it online?  Are you considering the Cherry or American Cherry?
  • Options
    reneechris14reneechris14 Member Posts: 3,134 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I also like the Amtico American cherry that should match perfectly 
    2005 Rinker FV342  Pawcatuck river,Ct
  • Options
    American Cherry matches perfectly. 
  • Options
    J3ffJ3ff Member Posts: 4,060 ✭✭✭✭✭
    so any updates? 
  • Options
    J3ff said:
    so any updates? 
    Yes... the vinyl flooring is still in the box in my garage and my boat still don't have steps. True story. Lol
  • Options
    BizmarkBizmark Member Posts: 53 ✭✭
    Just ripped out the teak & holly and plywood due to water damage. Why would the the factory ever use 4200 to stick down flooring? 1 inch wide every 4 inches!!! Ugh.
    Anyway, diggin2day1,the good news is that a Dremel Saw with a scraper blade was a BIG help. I have carpet to do on non-Rinker and I think the Dremel is the way to go. I don't think an off brand would have held up to the punishment we shared together. A good quality tool becomes your best friend, fast. I went a different way with the flooring and bought Drop and Go Vinyl, but we will glue it down so a rogue wave doesn't have me on my knees doing a jigsaw puzzle instead being at the helm. Here is a pic of the product we selected. Everyone agreed upon it, so that's a good start.

• Options
    Putting in Lonseal was a big improvement over carpet.  

• Options
    If I were you there would be no question, lonseal or plasteak teak n holly. Make it look as it did when it left the factory. We have teak n holly wood and if I ever have to replace it will be with lonseal teak n holly

• Options
    Was just in the boat today scoping out the flooring project... Does anyone know if the carpeted plywood floor piece under the table is removable? I tried looking for screws that would be holding it down but only found one(on an "L" bracket under front left. I removed the table mount, but that didn't help. Was thinking that if I remove it, it would be much easier to get the carpet off. 
  • Options
    gackgack Member Posts: 315 ✭✭✭
    I don't know how it's held in place, but if you get it off it would probably be easier to cut a new piece of plywood then pull off the carpet.  Better yet, use some of that cherry wood you have laying around and make two of them. :)