Options

Does anyone else just go hang on their boat on the weekends? Even though it's up on the hard?

J3ffJ3ff Member Posts: 4,060 ✭✭✭✭✭
I call this 'driveway boating'...

Am I the only one who will spends hours upon hours sitting on the boat...cleaning...fixing...just hanging out...maybe a drink on the boat even though it's up on blocks?

I view the boat as a tiny apartment... an escape from it all..  most weekends my only goal is to come and hang out for a few hours.   The yard I've got my boat at allows you to hook up shore power, so I've got heat, a fridge, battery charger, etc.. going all winter long! 

Typically get down to the boat around 11am to try and get things going, drinks by 2!  Kind of a neat way to spend the winter. If I ever got kicked out of the house, this would be my backup plan :blush:

Comments

• Options
    diggin2day1diggin2day1 Member Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭✭
    I have my boat in my backyard... was just hanging out and doing some measuring for flooring. Starting to get the itch!!!!
  • Options
    TrashmanTrashman Member Posts: 432 ✭✭✭
    Haha.   I literally just walked in from being on the boat in the yard.   I just hooked up a new stereo multimedia head unit and wanted to test out a dvd.   ...so peaceful under the tarp,lol
  • Options
    craigswardmtbcraigswardmtb Member Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭
    Yep. We go down a few times a winter and have some pizza under the shrink wrap. I'll be down quite a bit starting next month. Lots of project . 
  • Options
    frenchshipfrenchship Member Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭
    I would love to be able to do that. But winter here in Quebec does not permit that unless it would be stored inside with heat but it is not the case. So I am a bit jealous
  • Options
    Black_DiamondBlack_Diamond Member Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Spent part of my Saturday doing just that.  My wintertime projects.  Inside heated storage! 

Past owner of a 2003 342FV
    PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • Options
    randy56randy56 Member Posts: 4,083 ✭✭✭✭✭
    AL is back, looks like you guts covered a lot of miles.
    Boat Name : 

• Options
    rasburyrasbury Member Posts: 8,242 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's the man cave!
  • Options
    wm61356wm61356 Member Posts: 201 ✭✭✭

My boat is in heated storage so I visit it often. Winter is the time when I do bigger maintenance and cleaning projects.

• Options
    I'm surprised so many of you do....for me, having and being around a boat like this is pretty new to me. We just did not have much growing up and certainly never had a boat. Same with my wife so we really get a big kick out of boating in general.
  • Options
    Lake_BumLake_Bum Member Posts: 932 ✭✭✭✭
    Back in the 80's I used to love playing "Jaws" in the driveway in the family boat. Now that I'm all "growed up" I call it "Tinker time"  B)
    2000 Captiva 232 
  • Options
    rasbury said:
    It's the man cave!
    that's the new name... I like it! 
  • Options
    califcocalifco Member Posts: 59 ✭✭
    J3ff said:

Am I the only one who will spends hours upon hours sitting on the boat...cleaning...fixing...just hanging out...maybe a drink on the boat even though it's up on blocks?

I view the boat as a tiny apartment... an escape from it all..  most weekends my only goal is to come and hang out for a few hours.   The yard I've got my boat at allows you to hook up shore power, so I've got heat, a fridge, battery charger, etc.. going all winter long! 

Typically get down to the boat around 11am to try and get things going, drinks by 2!  Kind of a neat way to spend the winter. If I ever got kicked out of the house, this would be my backup plan :blush:
    I also go to the boat on weekends but don't spend as much time because of the temperature. My boat is close to my slip so there is power but I was afraid to hook up a heater or anything else because of a potential for a fire. I don't know if the marina allows it, I should ask. Any precautions that you take ? Or do you only turn on the heater while you are there?
  • Options
    Handymans342Handymans342 Member Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Alswagg said:
    Randy, I have ran 1,788 miles this year alone.   As soon as winter returns I am planning another trip. Thinking of Drummond island 
    I didnt know winter was over???
  • Options
    randy56randy56 Member Posts: 4,083 ✭✭✭✭✭
    February is coming, it warmed up to 60 here Saturday.
    Boat Name : 

• Options
    califco said:
    J3ff said:

I also go to the boat on weekends but don't spend as much time because of the temperature. My boat is close to my slip so there is power but I was afraid to hook up a heater or anything else because of a potential for a fire. I don't know if the marina allows it, I should ask. Any precautions that you take ? Or do you only turn on the heater while you are there?
    Just use a 30 dollar walmart heater... only turn it on when there...warms it up pretty nice as long as it isn't 20 degrees outside... when it's 20 degrees......I stay home :)
  • Options
    TrashmanTrashman Member Posts: 432 ✭✭✭
    I use a little square ceramic heater with a thermostat.  They don't seem to create a strong draw on power. Keeps the inside a toasty 65°. I place it on the sink counter.
    ... The good thing is I don't feel like such a degenerate anymore knowing others are hiding out in their boats also.   Lol
  • Options
    Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,561 mod
    Trashman said:

... The good thing is I don't feel like such a degenerate anymore knowing others are hiding out in their boats also.   Lol
    We are all right there with you buddy!  I'm usually the only car in the parking lot, but hey, it's fun!  For mine, I don't need the heat because the dark colored cover usually makes it toasty enough that I'm in there in a T-shirt! :)

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

• Options
    jhofmannjhofmann Member Posts: 430 ✭✭✭
    As soon as it is in the driveway and uncovered (242FV on a trailer) my wife and some of her friends climb on board to sip cocktails, and pretend cruise. Sure saves on fuel!!
  • Options
    Just was hanging out watchin some tv...have the boat home waiting for caliper parts....
  • Options
    gtyeegtyee Member Posts: 168 ✭✭✭
    I didn't know you could run the boat heater out of the water? Doing a lot of maintenance in heated storage but only 55-60 degrees. 
  • Options
    gtyee said:
    I didn't know you could run the boat heater out of the water? Doing a lot of maintenance in heated storage but only 55-60 degrees. 
    You shouldn't do that. We're all talking about a portable tiny electric heater...