shrink wrap

Mercury2005Mercury2005 Member Posts: 141 ✭✭
A question on shrink wrap.  Our boat has full camper canvas and a full cockpit cover.
Sould we remove all canvas before shrink wrap or leave the camper canvas installed?

Comments

• Handymans342Handymans342 Member Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Remove or it will get mold
  • bry1429bry1429 Member Posts: 371 ✭✭✭
    REMOVE ALL CANVAS! My marina slip neighbors boat was 1 out of 5 boats damaged from a boat being shrink wrapped last fall.  A boat yard was shrink wrapping a boat and the canvas caught fire underneath the wrap. That boat was destroyed,  The 4 boats next to that boat were all totaled in a fiery inferno. my slip mate's boat was not totaled,  just a lot of damage to his canvas and gelcoat. It turned out the shrink-wrap company had an inexperienced Tech doing the job that day. Along with the chance of mold setting in, in my opinion it's not worth the risk to leave it up, take down all canvas !
  • Liberty44140Liberty44140 Member Posts: 4,318 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes, remove all canvas and still make sure the shrink wrap has vents. I've seen boats shrink wrapped with no canvas up but the plastic was not properly vented and there was mildew on the entire foredeck, cushions, swim platform, etc. cleans off easy but it means too much moisture and not enough vents! No canvas! 
    07' Cruisers 390 (Previous Rinker's: 06' 342EC & 01' 310FV)

• Mercury2005Mercury2005 Member Posts: 141 ✭✭
    no canvas it is. thanks to all of you. a great forum indeed!!
  • Cableguy GregCableguy Greg Member Posts: 5,011 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Look into a Fisher canvas winter cover. They make them out of duck canvas and now sail cloth. It costs a few bucks up front, but you will save in the long run if you care for it properly.
    2008 280 Express Cruiser, 6.2MPI, B3, Pittsburgh, PA "Blue Ayes"
    Go Steelers!!!
  • Mercury2005Mercury2005 Member Posts: 141 ✭✭
    Thanks to all for your input. We did contact Fisher canvas and will be investing in one of their full covers.