Options

leaking remote oil filter hose

skennellyskennelly Member Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭✭
edited January 2017 in Engine Discussions
In prep for the up and coming season I have a small leak coming from a remote oil filter hose...that I plan to address.

Is this a really bad idea in the picture?  Just cut off that crimp and use a hose clamp to secure the hose?

BTW - this isn't something I have done yet...just saw this fix on the internet.  I would also use fuel injection hose type clamps that don't cut into the hose when you tighten them.

2002 - 270FV Mag 350 B3

Comments

• Options
    Handymans342Handymans342 Member Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭✭
    What's the pressure? 2 clamps would be better
  • Options
    212rowboat212rowboat Member Posts: 2,591 ✭✭✭✭✭
    love crimped connections- but they are only as good as the person crimping cares or as good as the inspector of the automation (if that's the case) cares to pass through... 

so- as with tradition, I too use double clamps whenever possible... breaking tradition, I use different styles- one would certainly be as you said, a fuel injection type band, and the other a constant tension type (kind you need pliers to remove/install).  the FI clamp goes between the hose connection and the constant tension.  the real pressure is on the constant tension, which will increase its tension with pressure, heat, and resistance, where as the FI clamp will back it up and ensure good seat on cool connections- this way provides that, plus the short run in between the two clamps should remain unstressed.
  • Options
    @212rowboat - I'm having a hard time visioning your clamp suggestion

"the FI clamp goes between the hose connection and the constant tension"

So from the barb end I would first have a FI clamp and then a contact tension clamp?

2002 - 270FV Mag 350 B3
  • Options
    ^ bingo.

it's likely not needed, but feeds my OCD with such matters sufficiently.  the two clamps operate in different manners- the FI clamp clamps in a static manner- which promotes tearing of the hose in the event of an over pressurization (which is NOT likely to happen in engine oil circuits), and the second clamp (constant tension) is more dynamic, and more forgiving to matters of heat, pressure, resistance- clamping tighter the more volatile the situation, while never cutting into the hose (reducing it's ability to clamp 'cold').  

the concept is for the FI clamp to dang near adhere the hose to the fitting- disallowing seepage when cold.  the constant tension clamp will absorb any operational expansion/impact under use/load and temperature, and protecting the FI clamp.  

i've ran into some situations that this was required, but it isn't common. no matter, though, it's a fine idea for any connection of this sort. 
  • Options
    edited January 2017

Look close at 3/4" hose.  this is on an eberspacher on my truck, and the coolant lines to it- when it's cold (and I mean cold- well below 0) the line contracts and will want to seep... the band clamp (I know, I need a clamp that doesn't cut) seals it tight.  after it's being used a while and builds some pressure/temperature- the constant tension takes the load off of it.   
  • Options
    @212rowboat - Great explanation...the picture you provided is exactly how I understood it.
    2002 - 270FV Mag 350 B3
  • Options
    frenchshipfrenchship Member Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭
    I had good success with those one.

• Options
    Cableguy GregCableguy Greg Member Posts: 5,012 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wholesale Marine has the part for $47.11. Is it worth the aggravation of trying to clamp a hose, then possibly having it leak again for $47? If it is me, I am replacing the hose with the OEM hose.
    2008 280 Express Cruiser, 6.2MPI, B3, Pittsburgh, PA "Blue Ayes"
    Go Steelers!!!
  • Options
    BellevilleMXZBellevilleMXZ Member Posts: 732 ✭✭✭
    I replaced my hoses.....think of the damage and mess if they come off under power. Ive seen a few pics.....it isn't pretty, and might cost you an engine.
    2005 Rinker 270 FV Volvo Penta 5.7Gi
  • Options
    edited January 2017
    @Cableguy Greg do you have a link to wholesale Marines replacement hoses?  I couldn't find it searching their site.  

@BellevilleMXZ - My thoughts are a clamp has just as good a chance as a crimp for leaking.  I've read stories of crimp hoses blowing off.
    2002 - 270FV Mag 350 B3
  • Options
    Cableguy GregCableguy Greg Member Posts: 5,012 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I am not sure if they would be the same for your engine. I used the part number for my engine. If you go to the Mercury Parts finder, plug in your serial number, then open up the remote filter page, it will give you the parts. Then google the part number.

https://www.mercurymarine.com/en/us/parts-and-accessories/parts-catalog

The part numbers for mine are 864924 and 864925.

https://www.wholesalemarine.com/oil-line-mercury-mercruiser-32-864924.html

https://www.amazon.com/Mercury-Mercruiser-Quicksilver-32-864925-Line-Oil/dp/B00N9HLJKQ

2008 280 Express Cruiser, 6.2MPI, B3, Pittsburgh, PA "Blue Ayes"
    Go Steelers!!!