Options

Horn

HamdogHamdog Member Posts: 247 ✭✭
The horn on my 2005 342 has never worked. I had a new one installed when the old one was damaged when the marina roof collapsed due to snow but it has also never worked. The mechanic who installed the new one said when he tried it, it made a moaning sound and quit. He thought the battery was dead and it would work when charged. However, it did not. Any suggestions on what to try? The fuse seems fine.
"Wetted" Bliss 2005 Rinker 342 - Black Hull - Twin Mercruiser 350 Mags - BIII's

Comments

• Options
    Handymans342Handymans342 Member Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You will have to check the voltage at the horn when the button is pressed
  • Options
    mvnmvn Member, Moderator Posts: 744 mod
    If it's a horn with points (remember those?),  it will need routine cleaning for it to work. 

Mark 
    Good,  fast,  cheap.... pick two. 
    2019 MTX20 Extreme

• Options
    StodgeStodge Member Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭✭
    Do you know if yours is shaped like 2 D cell batteries side by side?  The horn in my 342 is shot but it's a not the same shape as the current horns.  by that I mean the outside grill is the same, but the part that makes the noise, and the matching holes in the hull are 2 round, roughly 1 inch holes about a 1/4 inch apart.   I have had no luck finding a horn that shape.  Planning to make the horn hole bigger to accommodate the horns they sell now.  But if the original shape horn is available I'd prefer it.

2002 FV 342 on Lake St. Clair - Past Commodore SHC - Vessel Examiner USCGAUX

• Options
    Liberty44140Liberty44140 Member Posts: 4,330 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The horn on my 2006 342 didn't work this spring so I opened it up, cleaned out crap that flew in and lubbed everything with wd40. After that it worked great, just need to make sure screws are all right and gaskets are sealed and in place. I'm probably going to do it again this year with a lube that lasts longer than wd40. 
    07' Cruisers 390 (Previous Rinker's: 06' 342EC & 01' 310FV)

• Options
    Thanks guys but it is brand new. I think I read somewhere that the factory wiring on that year 342 is not the right gauge and it needs to be larger but I can't find it again. Pretty sure it was on this forum. I'm going to have the mechanic who installed it look at it again in the spring.
  • Options
    The old one is long gone so not sure about the shape Stodge. Didn't pay much attention to the screws on the new one.