Options

Insurance question!

TrashmanTrashman Member Posts: 432 ✭✭✭
Planning a trip this summer. Gonna be traveling about 80 miles from my marina.  I remember ins co saying something about traveling no more than 72 miles from home when I gave info to set up policy. Anyone have insight on this?  Should I contact insurance company? May I need a different policy?

Comments

• Options
    Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,561 mod
    Most give you bodies of water you can use the boat in.  My previous insurance company had me down for all of Chesapeake and it's tributaries.  My current one has the entire east coast and Bahamas.  I hadn't see one that list distance from marina.  Is that distance as the crow flies or travelling distance?  you can also ask them for an extension for a week.  When I was only covered in Chesapeake, for $20 I had them extend it for me going to VA beach for a week.

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

• Options
    TrashmanTrashman Member Posts: 432 ✭✭✭
    Ok, so I can get some sort of extension instead of having to get a different policy.  Good to have that info before calling them.  
  • Options
    Cableguy GregCableguy Greg Member Posts: 5,012 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I know that my BoatUS policy states "all inland lakes and rivers of the United States, excluding the Great Lakes." If I call, I can get access to the Great Lakes, for a minor cost.
    2008 280 Express Cruiser, 6.2MPI, B3, Pittsburgh, PA "Blue Ayes"
    Go Steelers!!!
  • Options
    nhsdnhsd Member Posts: 182 ✭✭✭
    Only limita6tions on my Progressive policy is 75 miles from the coast (international waters). They are quite specific about coverage or lack thereof in Mexican territorial waters even if within 75 miles of the US coast. All this is humorous to me as I boat on the Ohio River and if I am really adventurous, the Allegheny, Monongahela, or Muskingum rivers - about as inland as you can get...... 

Dave

2002 Captiva 212, 5.0 220 hp, Alpha 1, 1.62 gears

Moon Township, PA - boating in the Ohio River

• Options
    DirtythirtyDirtythirty Member Posts: 393 ✭✭✭
    Every insurance company is different...mine , specifically stated I cannot go further south than S. Carolina (From NJ)  without a rider on my policy.  I can tell you I won't be taking any trips like that, but if I were, the rider costs are not expensive .  Most times, the rider is simply to cover the cost of towing or repairs far from your home port, as being far from home in unfamiliar waters, sometimes you are susceptible to price gouging or fraudulent practice.
  • Options
    MarkBMarkB Member Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Not only every insurance is different, policies might be different from year to year as well. Just call them and ask them a straight clear question, and get a straight clear answer.

Boat Name: King Kong

"Boat + Water = Fun"