Options

rebuilding brake calipers

rasburyrasbury Member Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭✭✭
I got today my rebuild kits. I did just the dust boot covers when I first got the boat. This time I got a complete rebuilt kit which uses the caliper housing- everything else is new, so I get a new caliper for 30.00 bucks. I was surprised when I found the dust cover seals I had just installed, the lip had cracked letting water in and crudding everything up. The new ones don't seem to have that lip and just fits in the hole so maybe I got the wrong ones before from a local shop . Anyway, it seems to be a great complicated process to get the seal seated in the groove in the piston- have not tried to install yet, but looks like I could put the seal on the piston and then push the piston in and seat the seal in the housing? Not sure why it would be such a deal? @212rowboat might have more info as he seems to know his way around a trailer!

Comments

• Options
    Looking again, the boot accordion part is what split so I must have done something wrong when I redid them the first time. One caliper I replaced and that one looked fine so I left it on the trailer.
  • Options
    Robs_232Robs_232 Member Posts: 212 ✭✭✭

Ras,

Your issues sound like mine and is why I bought the new calipers with pads. Easy R & R then bleed air. No issues since and great brakes. If you've had piston and seal issues you probably have uneven pad wear (inner vs outer) like I did, even though you replaced parts a couple years ago. If you put a value on time and frustration, it usually means spending more upfront and less time and being **** that the problem came back. Hope you get it solved. Having good brakes will make you feel more confident while towing.

• Options
    Brake pads are fine- don't tow far enough to see a problem like that and not sure how many were working anyway. Those boots split for some reason and if it me during installation, I need to know what I'm doing wrong. No info on e trailer and I contacted them and they were no help...
  • Options
    Cableguy GregCableguy Greg Member Posts: 5,012 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would have done what @Robs_232 did and replaced rather than rebuild. That way you know all is new.
    2008 280 Express Cruiser, 6.2MPI, B3, Pittsburgh, PA "Blue Ayes"
    Go Steelers!!!
  • Options
    Well, first I would think if you have uneven brake pad wear, that is a maintenance issue- the slide pins should be lubricated, not sure the schedule but will be learning. I have "new" calipers, all the parts are new except for the housing themselves. We will see how it goes...maybe i did not get a good bleed on my brakes and they were dragging and got hot causing the failure...
  • Options
    Glassguy54Glassguy54 Member Posts: 588 ✭✭✭
    I concur with those posting above that replacing is probably the better option, just for the peace of mind factor knowing everything is brand new and functional. I replaced all 4 calipers about 18 months ago on a at the time 8 year old trailer that has always been dipped in fresh water only. During the season, we drive to the Mississippi River just about every week end, 180 miles round trip and we usually do one long haul per summer, around 1200 miles R/T, so having to not worry about the brakes is worth the extra cost.
  • Options
    floater212floater212 Confirm Email, Member Posts: 121 ✭✭
    edited March 2017
    I'm refreshing my brake this year, I have ordered the shock, the pushrod kit and the shoulder bolt kit, they are making a weird noise when brakes are used (probably lack of lube). then maybe next year new calipers, they seem to work for now. looks like a job for little hands to fit in the housing to swap out the guts. film at 11... will post outcome when it gets warm enough to do it.
    Post edited by floater212 on
  • Options
    edited March 2017
    @floater212 I'd thin you'd be good to go- sounds like your replacing the piston, pins and the dust boots- that is new breaks in my book. If the housing is not rusted out and still seals, your saving about 60 bucks a wheel if you don't mind investing a little time- I have more time than money myself...good luck!
  • Options
    Robs_232Robs_232 Member Posts: 212 ✭✭✭

Ras,

To me it sounds like floater212 is putting new parts on his surge break actuator on the hitch.

• Options
    ah....did not think of that!
  • Options
    floater212floater212 Confirm Email, Member Posts: 121 ✭✭
    I'm starting with the surge actuator this year and, if needed, calipers next.
  • Options