Looking for a generator for a 29ft Rinker!

The wife just said why not have a generator installed! I know the price of a new generator, I do not know the labor cost to have one installed. I'm looking for a used generator preferably a 5k to 10K gas generator for my Cruiser can anyone out there know of anyone who Might Carry used generators for a decent price? B.O.A.T!!!!!!

Comments

• randy56randy56 Member Posts: 4,083 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Last year I found a used one on craigslist for a friend of mine. They were dismantling a houseboat. It was a 5kw . All he had to buy was a longer exhaust piping. I think he paid $1800. ran good. I helped him put it in his houseboat easy install. 
    Years ago I found one at a fairly good sized boat dealership. It was about half price.

Boat Name : 

• Handymans342Handymans342 Member Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭✭
    There are 20 guys on here that would be glad to give you their Kohler 
  • Black_DiamondBlack_Diamond Member Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Used ones are around. Look on ebay. I've seen several low hour units on there before. 

Past owner of a 2003 342FV
    PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • babyboyboater1111babyboyboater1111 Member Posts: 9
    edited March 2017
    I'm still looking for a used generator! Its about that time to pull my boat out of storage!
  • J3ffJ3ff Member Posts: 4,054 ✭✭✭✭✭
    nothing better than a honda on the swim platform!! 
  • StodgeStodge Member Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭✭
    If you have twins I'd expect to have to pull one of them to get the genny into the engine compartment.  I'd have to agree with @J3ff on a 2KW Honda for cost and ease of use versus adding after the fact.  

2002 FV 342 on Lake St. Clair - Past Commodore SHC - Vessel Examiner USCGAUX

• JLASJLAS Member Posts: 26 ✭✭
    I agree with J3FF and Stodge.  I am aware this is not what you want to hear, but the install on a cruiser (if your boat didn't already have one) is costly prohibited. My previous boat used to have one installed (wires, controls, exhaust, and so on were already in place) and the marina wanted about $1,800 + the cost of the generator.  I decided not to go for it.   Honda makes wonderful 2000, and 3000KW portable units that are less noisy, and almost trouble free compared to the marine ones.
    Also, good used generators are very hard to come by ( I tried for a couple years). With all this said, I would do the following: Check your load needs (for a 29footer your AC should not need more than 1600 to 2000W to start and about 1200 to 1600W to run)  a 3KW should be more than enough to run all your needs. If decided to really want a marine generator ( I don't think is worth it) check westerbeker 3.0 (carburated.  About $3000 for a used one) or a 3.5 (fuel injected with low CO2 emissions.  About $4,500 refurbish).  You may not have enough room for bigger marine generators. 
    On the portables, the honda 3000I cost new about $2000, is safer (as far as CO2 emissions as will seat outside) and cheap to run & maintain.  Check with the local marinas to make sure is legal to have one on the cockpit or swim platform. They also sell covers made of fiberglass that hides the unit and allows for breathing while running.  
    I hope this helps! 
  • frenchshipfrenchship Member Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭
    There are many ways to installed one of those Honda Generators on your boat, just make a search  on this forum
  • jme097jme097 Member Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭
    Pretty sure you need to pull the motor in order to get the generator into the engine compartment. I was quoted $11k to have a 5kw Kohler installed in my 280 last spring LOL. No thanks. I'll get a portable generator for $800
    Boat Name: Knot A Worry
    2007 280 Rinker Express 6.2L B3
  • bella-vitabella-vita Member Posts: 411 ✭✭✭
    Used a Honda on my last boat very easy and definitely cheaper to run than the factory one on boat now,although it is nice to just hit the button and flick the switch with the factory installed unit.
    2002 Rinker FV 342
  • rasburyrasbury Member Posts: 8,218 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have a factory one and if it goes, I would not replace it for the cost involved...it's a kholer and works just fine!