Options

Storing propane cyls?

I bought a BBQ this winter ........something I was thinking about, is where do you store the cyls? If BBQ is mounted and off, in it I assume. But what about with BBQ stowed away when under way?
2005 Rinker 270 FV Volvo Penta 5.7Gi

Comments

• Options
    jhofmannjhofmann Member Posts: 430 ✭✭✭
    If you store the grill in the cabin, do store the propane cylinders there. I store my grill in the aft cabin, and the propane  under the helm seat of my 242 which keeps them out of the sun and rain, but is open in front in case they leak. I always keep 2 on board, with a piece of duct tape on each. I mark one "use first" and use it until empty, then discard and mark the second one use first, replacing the empty one before the next time out. Running out of fuel with half cooked food sucks. 
  • Options
    randy56randy56 Member Posts: 4,083 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Good idea about the duck tape. I'm keeping my bottles in the compartment on the port side, behind the back of the seat, normally keep clean up rags ect. in there keeps them from rolling around.
    My problem is were to put the grill, I have the  magma 15 inch kettle grill, the only place I can get it to fit is in engine compartment. Then bungee it so it does not roll around, and get against the belt.  It's a pain to get in and out. once I put in a plastic trash bag then put it behind stairs on the bed. was not crazy about that idea either. 
    Any ideas?
    Boat Name : 

• Options
    After reviewing my previous post, I meant to say 'DO NOT STORE PROPANE CYLINDERS IN THE CABIN". A leaking propane cylinder and a small spark could ruin your day.
  • Options
    This is where its mounted
    Boat Name : 

• Options
    I keep mine in a Magma padded storage/carrying case, but I like the garbage bag idea, and then place it in the padded bag.  
  • Options
    Installed it in early spring last year, by July was leaving the $amm thing at home from no place to store it. cook 4 burgers, and a grease film will form inside, then once it cools down and your ready to store it grease can go everywhere.  Wife told me to put it on craigslist.  LOL I'm not giving up yet.
    Boat Name : 

• Options
    If it was up to my wife, we would eat at a dockside restaurant every time our, need to find a girlfriend who likes to cook and clean on a boat!!
  • Options
    In my boating world there are no dockside restaurants, what's the girls phone number that cleans boat and cooks, what else does she do? 
    Boat Name : 

• Options
    reneechris14reneechris14 Member Posts: 3,134 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I use a plastic tote for tanks and grill.keeps the mess under control.my girl friend is my wife and admiral so I say yes honey.
    2005 Rinker FV342  Pawcatuck river,Ct
  • Options
    Where do you store the tote? Found the girl who cleans boat.
    Image result for Picture of girl in bikini washing boat
    Boat Name : 

• Options
    Handymans342Handymans342 Member Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    raybo3raybo3 Administrator Posts: 5,461 admin
    Randy this is a family forum but that is one heII of a cleaning lady..........LOL
    2002 342 Fiesta Vee PC Point Of Pines YC Revere MA. popyc.org     raybo3@live.com
  • Options
    Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,565 mod

Hmmm, I think she'd be hired in our marina for a lot of boats!

As far as propane, just make sure to always twist the switch off the bottle when you are done.  You can very easily have something push the button down and turn the gas on.  There are bags that hang on the back of the boat that hold the propane.  I store mine under a seat in the cockpit.

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

• Options
    Cableguy GregCableguy Greg Member Posts: 5,013 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I store my Magma grill in the padded case that is made for the grill. I store it under the V berth table since mine is always set up as a bed due to my 2 year old daughter. I also store my extra boat pop under there as well. The propane bottles are stored with the grill, but now I am having second thoughts on that. Maybe I can store them in my rear hatch or under the helm seat.

@randy56, I use foil to catch the drippings. Then when I am done, I throw the foil away before storage. I do have the Newport model, which is rectangle rather than a kettle. The nice thing about the storage bag is that it catches all of the residual grease and it is easier to clean. You could even line it with some paper towels.
    2008 280 Express Cruiser, 6.2MPI, B3, Pittsburgh, PA "Blue Ayes"
    Go Steelers!!!
  • Options
    I keep the tote under the table up top is in the way.small kids sit on it at the table.I have kumma 150$ it does not leak,stays self contained.Take the tank off and put under the grill in the tote.Cap off tank is used cap on is new.
  • Options
    I hope @BellevilleMXZ is getting all these good tip's  
    @Cableguy Greg couple questions, Where are you putting the foil on the inside of the grill? does it smell when you put it under the bed, as we leave the bed up all the time also. Is this picture the type of bag/tote you are referring to? 
    @reneechris14  Do you mean you paid $150 for the tote?
    Boat Name : 

• Options
    Cableguy GregCableguy Greg Member Posts: 5,013 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Here is the bag that I have. It is the model A10-992. I put the foil in the tray underneath the grill.

2008 280 Express Cruiser, 6.2MPI, B3, Pittsburgh, PA "Blue Ayes"
    Go Steelers!!!
  • Options
    Thanks Cable, did not see this type of bag. Got caught, wife looked at my screen and said put the grill  on e-bay. I'm not giving up.
    Boat Name : 

• Options
    MarkBMarkB Member Posts: 3,963 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I had the 1293 magma bag and it held 2 propane bottles, had a specific compartment for them. I was able to fit the bag in the engine compartment. Rather there as everything should be designed for fuel safety anyhow. 

Boat Name: King Kong

"Boat + Water = Fun"

• Options
    Not the tote,the grill at defender 
  • Options
    BellevilleMXZBellevilleMXZ Member Posts: 732 ✭✭✭
    Thanks guys!!!
    2005 Rinker 270 FV Volvo Penta 5.7Gi