Options

Documented Vessel?

gackgack Member Posts: 315 ✭✭✭
I got a call from the dealer I am buying from and he told me that the boat is registered as a documented vessel with the US Coast Guard.  From what I read, this is not a bad thing.  Benefits are no state registration numbers needed on bow, and full history of vessel when buying or selling.  Only drawback I see is that the Coast Guard can confiscate your boat in time of war :o.
I'm wondering how common is documented vessel registration?  How difficult is it to change the name/port marking of the vessel?

Comments

• Options
    LaReaLaRea Member, Moderator Posts: 7,555 mod
    Common - and the paperwork is easy.  You can use this web site to look up your boat:

http://www.st.nmfs.noaa.gov/st1/CoastGuard/VesselByName.html

Avoid the most common mistake:  for the home port, every letter must be at least 4" tall, so use all capital letters rather than mixed case.
  • Options
    Black_DiamondBlack_Diamond Member Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Being Documented actually replaces the title too. Banks like it for loan conditions too, that's why mine was originally documented.  It is a bonus in foreign waters too, proof of ownership and registry.  

Past owner of a 2003 342FV
    PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • Options
    pault1216pault1216 Member Posts: 206 ✭✭✭
    My houseboat was documented after we purchased as I was originally told that we could avoid property taxes in Kentucky (we live in Indiana). This turned out to be not true as taxes were owed regardless. It apparently is advantageous if you have a loan or travel internationally. I would not do it again for domestic travel. The Coast Guard can take your vessel in an 'emergency' but in the 1 case I heard of, there was compensation paid for the vessel's use (this was not verified by me).  -Paul
  • Options
    Thanks for the responses.  I think I'll keep it documented.  Don't think I'll travel internationally any time soon, but prefer no registration no's. on the hull.
  • Options
    Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,561 mod
    Mine is documented. It's also nice not having registration numbers on it.

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

• Options
    reneechris14reneechris14 Member Posts: 3,134 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just looked mine up its documented but not in my name.purchased in Sept. Was registered in NY with numbers.now registered in Ct.Guess I have some more to do.
    2005 Rinker FV342  Pawcatuck river,Ct
  • Options
    pault1216pault1216 Member Posts: 206 ✭✭✭
    Just a thought...Some states like Indiana still require a tax sticker where the registration numbers go even if it is documented.
  • Options
    NY Also requires a registration sticker with a documented vessel.  They still want to collect their tax $.
  • Options
    Cableguy GregCableguy Greg Member Posts: 5,012 ✭✭✭✭✭
    PA also requires the sticker for a documented vessel.
    2008 280 Express Cruiser, 6.2MPI, B3, Pittsburgh, PA "Blue Ayes"
    Go Steelers!!!
  • Options
    randy56randy56 Member Posts: 4,083 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Mine is documented. if we go to war I will fill it up with gas for them, and help mount a 50 cal on the front hood. before they leave the dock. Be more than happy to give them my boat.
    Boat Name : 

• Options
    One if by land two if by sea
  • Options
    Yes mine is also documented. 
  • Options
    Liberty44140Liberty44140 Member Posts: 4,332 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2017
    I dont have an opinion on what is better but both my Rinker 310 and my current 342 were documented when I bought them and I undocumented both of them. The cost (at least in Ohio) over time is lower for undocumented boats and the cost to un document them was around $20 total per boat but my reason was not money, it was that I wanted OH license numbers on my boat. I have been stopped on documented boats for no OH stickers. They saw the state sticker, but no license stickers, so they picked us to stop and check. I asked them about it and they said they assumed we were documented but no license stickers gave them cause to stop us and they were looking for their next safety check. So, I'd rather have the license digits on my boat and give the law the least amount of cause reasons to stop me. I am a very safe, sober, boater but I dont want my day to be stopped by the law if I can avoid it. 
    07' Cruisers 390 (Previous Rinker's: 06' 342EC & 01' 310FV)

• Options
    Black_DiamondBlack_Diamond Member Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hence why I still keep my state "MC" numbers on the bow, even though I am documented. 

Past owner of a 2003 342FV
    PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • Options
    StodgeStodge Member Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭✭
    Just an FYI, the Coast Guard is backed up on processing vessel documentation.  I have a friend trying to have his changed from the previous owner to himself and it's been months.  We (Coast Guard Auxiliary) have been having similar paperwork delays across the board due to reduction in staff/force in the active CG.  

FYI @Liberty44140 a vessel with a current VSC sticker has to have shown proper registration to get it.  Up here the local law enforcement folks will generally ignore vessels with a current VSC.  

2002 FV 342 on Lake St. Clair - Past Commodore SHC - Vessel Examiner USCGAUX

• Options
    Same here Stodge, they are supposed to leave you alone unless they see you breaking the law if you have a VSC. I keep missing the CGA VSC day at our marina so I have not had one in years but would love to have one every year. 

• Options
    StodgeStodge Member Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭✭
    @Liberty44140 Click the link in my signature that says USCGAUX.  It will take you to the "I want a VSC" web site.  Enter your info and an email gets sent to the 5 closest vessel examiners with your contact info.  Most flotillas should have their stickers already, so as soon as you're in the water and ready to be inspected, use that to get someone out to do your VSC.

I'd do it for you if you were a little closer.  :)

2002 FV 342 on Lake St. Clair - Past Commodore SHC - Vessel Examiner USCGAUX

• Options
    Will do that this spring, thanks! Hoping to get up your way this summer. Plan to do the Detroit and st Clair rivers to port Huron and back sometime in July. 

• Options
    So I hear there is a 4 month wait to get my vessel documentation an I cannot register the boat in NY without it.  I heard the Coast Guard was giving Temporary Vessel Documents off and on because of this, I also heard it is OK as long as you have paperwork that you filed for documentation.  Anyone have experience with this?  
  • Options
    Filed my paper work 16 mos ago still have not received anything. Keeping all documents in the boat. Not much Coast Guard around here. Have not been checked by them.
    Boat Name : 

• Options
    16 months!  I would check that they didn't lose your paperwork.   I'm not as worried about getting checked by Coast Guard as I am getting ticketed by the Bay Constable for no State Registration sticker  :/
  • Options
    We don't have those here either, just game warden.
    Boat Name : 

• Options
    RansnanRansnan Member Posts: 81 ✭✭
    We bought our boat last March, took about 11 months to get our paper.