Options

IAC Do we have one. Idile Air Control

We had a friend that has a 2003 Rinker 32" and he told me that he had a fire on his boat and it was from a bad IAC it looked like a green foam filter. I looked it up and I did not see that for a 2006 342 Rinker. Dose anyone know.

Comments

• Options
    gslprogslpro Member Posts: 222 ✭✭✭
    edited May 2013
    I just changed my IAC valve (or motor some people call it).  It has no foam in it.  Maybe his does, but I have never seen one with foam.  
    IAC1.JPG
    IAC2.JPG
    This is the part # from my IAC for our 2004 290FV with twin 5.0's Mercs.  Part # may change with your engine serial #.  Took me less than 5 minutes begin to end to change it out.  Cost $100. 
    On the engines, it sits just rearward of the spark arrestor.  Take off the cover, and it should be right there.  You need not remove the arrestor or anyting besides the plastic cover.  I will be ordering a spare for the other engine to keep on board.

If anyone doesn't know the tell-tale sign of a bad IAC, you will stall at idle, and you will get the dreaded 30-second beep even with the key on/engine off.  If you disengage the drive, and throttle up a bit, it will run perfect until you drop it back to idle, where it just shuts off.  No sputtering, no bucking, just off.  
    Gary and Diane
    290 FV Nauti Bonnie
  • Options
    Black_DiamondBlack_Diamond Member Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Mine has the little foam filter in it, keeps the crud out.  Cheap change.  This is on 350MAG MPI

Past owner of a 2003 342FV
    PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • Options
    Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,561 mod
    I'm betting he is talking about the foam that is in the throttle body (under the choke plate or whatever that thing is where you would look down where the carberator used to be - sorry, I really should know these terms by now after building several engines).  Anyways, that piece of foam is under the flame arrestor and without it you would hear a hissing/whistle sound at lower throttle.  It can get very dirty and stiff & should be replaced once in a while.

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

• Options
    cagoldcagold Member Posts: 5
    We do not have that on are 2006 rinker 342 express any other ideals?
  • Options
    Do you have merc engines? If so you have the IAC and the filter.

PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • Options
    We have the 350 merc engines and will try that first. Thank you for your help.
  • Options
    212rowboat212rowboat Member Posts: 2,591 ✭✭✭✭✭
    if you have a fuel injected engine, you have a idle air control.. how else would the engine breath while idling? (blades on throttle body closed)... some of them are mounted on the throttle body themselves, some are in the intake manifold... <- that is speaking of car engines... I dunno how merc or vp does it... 
  • Options
    frenchshipfrenchship Member Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭
    My twin 5.0 2007 do have IAC with filter.
  • Options
    It idles fine. When we run at 1/2 throttle it bogs down and when we run it that way and give it full throttle it bogs down and can not get up on plane. So is it the IAC our could it be a fuel filter clog.
  • Options
    If the IAC was bad it would not idle.  A scan would help a lot, could be distributor cap/rotor, plugs, dirty spark arrestor, on and on.  

PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • Options
    BruceBruce Member Posts: 167 ✭✭
    It certainly would not be the IAC, probably fuel pressure and/or volume, but as BD said, it could also be aignition problem. If it was mine I would start with a new fuel filter and go from there.
     Good luck.
    2004 250 FV 
  • Options
    DanD2DanD2 Member Posts: 847 ✭✭✭
    I could also be your TPS...throttle positioning sensor.....my first bet would be a clogged fuel filter.
    No longer a boat owner.....previous boat - 2005 Rinker Fiesta Vee 342
  • Options
    qwikwhipqwikwhip Member Posts: 63 ✭✭
    IAC will throw a code if it's bad. I know from experience on my last boat with a 5.0mpi.
    Dream_Inn said:
    I'm betting he is talking about the foam that is in the throttle body (under the choke plate or whatever that thing is where you would look down where the carberator used to be - sorry, I really should know these terms by now after building several engines).  Anyways, that piece of foam is under the flame arrestor and without it you would hear a hissing/whistle sound at lower throttle.  It can get very dirty and stiff & should be replaced once in a while.
    My Rinker has the 350mag mpi and has that loud hissing sound at idle. Your telling me it's just missing a foam filter? That would be sweet!
    2005 Captiva 232 Liberty Edition, MX6.2/B3, Corsa
  • Options
    loud hissing at idle?

do you have a vacuum leak?
  • Options
    rasburyrasbury Member Posts: 8,246 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I always get myself in trouble thinking it's something major when it's something minor. Start with the fuel filter and work your way forward- even the engines today are pretty simple, you have to have air, you have to have a spark and you have to have fuel. You can fine tune the amount of each required to run and that's where the trouble shooting comes in. Sometimes it's more than we have equipment for to figure it out but often, it's something pretty darn simple!
  • Options

loud hissing at idle?

do you have a vacuum leak?

No, it's not a vacuum leak. It's just a loud air intake sound. It's coming from exactly where dream-inn said. And mine doesn't have any foam filter there.
  • Options

this is 'a' IAC, not necessarily the one you use.. the brass tipped plunger is operated by a tiny motor that is controlled by your computer to move in or out, and adjust to control the idle speed...

these things get gummed up w/ carbon easily, and need to be cleaned.. if you go the cleaning route, I highly recommend you take great care not to move the plunger- as the computer loses the mapping of it's position easily, and the only way for it to relocate that is to dump 'learned' environmental tables from the PCM, and readjust... even then, it's a crap shoot..

what you will discover with an older IAC is that the computer has adjusted the thing out to allow more air, because the gumming has created a restriction- that restriction is accompanied by the hissing sound you're hearing.. or, could be, anyway...

clean it.. I recommend you go ahead and pull the throttle body all together and clean it well with throttle body cleaner, avoiding direct contact with any electrical components on it.. but it doesn't end there... the next thing you gotta do that gets glossed over: pull your positive cables off your battery(s)... the PCM needs to dump any learned data and relearn based on new parameters...  there are two distinct tables, one long term and one short term (similar to fuel trim expressed in Long Term Fuel Trim or LTFT and Short Term Fuel Trim or STFT)- the short term data collects several times a second, and the long term tables is a result of short term averages.... in order to make sure your computer is operating properly, you gotta make sure the devices it uses to monitor are operating within parameters expected.. so.. clean (or replace).. reset.. let 'er learn... same holds true with every principle sensor on that engine.. when the device the data originates from changes, the environmental data no longer holds true and has to be dumped..
  • Options
    Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,561 mod
    qwikwhip, the loud hiss is the foam.  Believe me, been there done that.  After two years of hearing the hiss, a dollar later I fixed it.  Now, go spend that one dollar, put the other $95 on some alcohol, and pretend it all went towards the job!

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

• Options
    TikiHut2TikiHut2 Member Posts: 1,431 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2014
    Cagold said:
     "It idles fine. When we run at 1/2 throttle it bogs down and when we run it that way and give it full throttle it bogs down and can not get up on plane. So is it the IAC our could it be a fuel filter clog"

I'd check the fuel supply too but if I recall there's an engine computer controlled rpm limiter for certain issues aside from fuel problems? It may be a completely different issue that a code reader would easily find(as BD and others said earlier).

I'm with DI on this one. $95 worth of kidney solvent has some excellent potential too.. :D

Just sayin'. Mike
    2004 FV270, 300hp 5.7 350mag MPI Merc 305hrs, 2:20 Bravo3 OD w.22p props, 12v Lenco tabs, Kohler 5kw genset, A/C, etc.etc...
    Regular weekender, Trailer stored indoors, M/V TikiHut, Sarasota, Fl
  • Options

Dream_Inn said:
    qwikwhip, the loud hiss is the foam.  Believe me, been there done that.  After two years of hearing the hiss, a dollar later I fixed it.  Now, go spend that one dollar, put the other $95 on some alcohol, and pretend it all went towards the job!
    Consider it done! lol