Options

No Dash Lights 2002 FV 310

john744john744 Member Posts: 35 ✭✭

Hello All,

I've got a 2002 FV 310 and no dash lamps.  Tried holding the Dash Light switch down in hopes that the dimmer was really slow, but to no avail.  Checked fuses/breakers, all OK.    Getting Ready to open the dash and trace this backwards.  Could anyone possibly save me a step or two and tell me where I might find the dimmer controller?  Any other pearls of wisdom would also be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,  John D.

John & Kathy

2002 FV 310 "pair*a*dox"

Comments

• Options
    BabyboomerBabyboomer Member Posts: 918 mod
    edited May 2013
    Is there a dial (rotary switch) with small to larger hash marks on it? That is the dimmer switch for your dash lights 
    Some have a slide switch

Slip 866 Sunset Marina Byrdstown Tn
  • Options
    BabyboomerBabyboomer Member Posts: 918 mod
    In this link is a picture of the dash on a 310 can someone help john with his problem I can't copy the picture it's protected

Slip 866 Sunset Marina Byrdstown Tn
  • Options
    raybo3raybo3 Administrator Posts: 5,459 admin
    On my 2002 342 the dimmer is I think 3rd from the left. I would check there also to see if the wire fell off the switch. Good luck and keep us posted on what you find...
    2002 342 Fiesta Vee PC Point Of Pines YC Revere MA. popyc.org     raybo3@live.com
  • Options

Hello Boomer,

Thanks for the photo but that's not my dash.  Here's a link to a photo that is my dash.  No rotary dial, only a rocker, momentary in both directions (ie: spring loaded returns to center position).

Hey Raybo, did you see my earlier post?  I grew up in Fields Corner, moved out in '75.  On the Cape now.  Sorry about all those pennies on the green line.............

Dash Photo

John & Kathy

2002 FV 310 "pair*a*dox"

• Options
    Hey John I did see your post and I responded. Do not have much to do with the Green Line but thanks for supporting the "T". LOL I am on the Orange Line and I fix those 35 year old trains. I am also shop steward for the Orange and Blue line repairers. That in itself keeps me busy if you know what I mean....LOL
    2002 342 Fiesta Vee PC Point Of Pines YC Revere MA. popyc.org     raybo3@live.com
  • Options
    Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,559 mod
    Well, I owned that same boat and remember the rocker switch.  I would think you could start at bypassing the rocker switch to see if it turns full on (it would just bypass the resistance).

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

• Options

Thanks for the effort Boomer - GOOD TRY !!!!!

Dream_Inn, I plan on opening up the dash tomorrow or Friday.  As I said, I'll start tracing the wiring backwards to see if I can find the dimmer control.  Worst case, I'll by-pass it & make it work.  Was hoping someone might have already run into this problem.

RayBo -  Which line did Charlie board when he never returned ?????????

Thanks to All ----------------------------------------------------

John & Kathy

2002 FV 310 "pair*a*dox"

• Options
    John I would be very careful on the Blue line....LOL
  • Options

From Wikipedia

The song has Charlie boarding at the Kendall Square station (now called Kendall/MIT) and changing for Jamaica Plain. Kendall is on the Red Line (the lines were not color-coded until 1965), so his "change for Jamaica Plain" would have been at Park Street. There, he would have boarded a #39 streetcar (later the Green Line "E" Branch) for Jamaica Plain. In 1949 the line went all the way to Arborway in Jamaica Plain, but the line was truncated to Heath Street at the northern edge of Jamaica Plain in 1985.

The song further mentions that his wife visited him every day at Scollay Square, which today is Government Center on the Green Line. The "Charlie Card"—the MBTA's ticket system introduced in 2006—depicts a man on a Green Line streetcar.

John & Kathy

2002 FV 310 "pair*a*dox"

• Options
    Scollay square/Government Center is also Blue line. At one time the Blue line was Trolleys then it became rapid transit.
  • Options

O.K. Boys (and Gals),   finally got to tackle that dimmer switch problem.  First, the "DIMMER" is a small module located directly behind the dimmer switch in the wiring harness.   Turns out it was working fine but the previous owner had added a toggle switch to purposely cut out the lights.  The dimmer circuit only gets power when your NAV or Anchor lights are on.  Power is provided to the dimmer and the light blue wires you see on each switch when the NAV/ANCHOR switch is on.   The rocker switches contain 2 lamps, 1 to indicate when the switch is on, 1 illuminates the graphic panel when the NAV/ANCHOR circuit is on.  The latter is quite bright and when distributed to 12 switches is rather blinding.  I can only imagine the previous owner installed this cut out switch to preserve his night vision.  Unfortunately, it also kills the instrumet (red) back lights.   A simple little rewiring and my problem is solved.

The dimmer unit has no identifying info on it.  Does anyone happen to know who makes it, or better yet, what amount of current it can handle?   I'd like to tie the rocker switches into it to eliminate the blinding effect.

Thanks to All !!!

John & Kathy

2002 FV 310 "pair*a*dox"

• Options
    mvnmvn Member, Moderator Posts: 744 mod

Look like any of these?

http://www.defender.com/category.jsp?path=-1%7C328%7C303333&id=1017107

Google turned up a bunch.

Mark

Good,  fast,  cheap.... pick two. 
    2019 MTX20 Extreme

• Options

Hello mvn,  sorry, none of those look like the dimmer unit I have.  Can't upload an actual photo of the unit from here, but the attached file is pretty good composite.  The unit is potted (sealed) inside a Yellow Caplug with a 4 circuit (maybe 5 circuit) AMP Mate-n-Lok connector on the open end.  Thats it. No markings or any type of identification...............

Thanks for trying

John & Kathy

2002 FV 310 "pair*a*dox"

• Options
    mvnmvn Member, Moderator Posts: 744 mod
    Captain Steve,  any idea? 
    Good,  fast,  cheap.... pick two. 
    2019 MTX20 Extreme

• Options
    Capt_SteveCapt_Steve Member Posts: 281 admin
    Hmmm....checking with Randy on this...
  • Options
    Here's a photo of the actual Unit ...............................................

John & Kathy

2002 FV 310 "pair*a*dox"

• Options
    Lifes GoodLifes Good Member Posts: 465 ✭✭✭
    I have that same silly looking dimmer whatchamacallit... Where do you get one if it needs to be replaced?  It looks like something someone makes in their garage and sold to rinker.  :-?