Options

Should my engines be using oil?

Moneyplays21Moneyplays21 Member Posts: 20 ✭✭
I have a 2014 310EC with twin Merc 350 inboards.  I regularly check the oil and they are using a quart ever 50 hours.  Is this typical/correct????  I run a lot at 7.5mph and a lot at 28mph.  I try and run them at WOT for a couple minutes every time I go out as well.
2014 Rinker 310 Express Cruiser.

Comments

• Options
    skennellyskennelly Member Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2017
    Moneyplays21 - Both engines are using the same amount of oil?  Have you checked the plugs...how do they look?

I would say some oil consumption is going to happen...what's normal is hard to say.  1 qt in 50 hours doesn't seem too bad.

2002 - 270FV Mag 350 B3
  • Options
    Yes, both using the same amount.

• Options
    frenchshipfrenchship Member Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭
     Maybe I am mistaken but it seems to be excessive, on a 2 years old motors. Maybe Al would comment on that.
  • Options
    Handymans342Handymans342 Member Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭✭
    What oil are you using?
  • Options
    25W 40 Marine Synthetic blend

• Options
    That does not seem like the right weight
  • Options
    randy56randy56 Member Posts: 4,083 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think that's what the manual calls for. Seems an excess amount use in 50 hours. Mine does not consume near that much. 
    Boat Name : 

• Options
    MarkBMarkB Member Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭✭✭

1 quart every 50 hours for both or each engine?  For both, that isn't bad.  These engines do burn some oil, especially when you are loading them.  You'll see consumption go up if you have a heavy load, or are +80% of WOT. 

A quart every 50 hours per engine would be a bit higher than normal ... but again if you are regularly hauling 10 people and stuff ... you can get higher oil consumption.

Boat Name: King Kong

"Boat + Water = Fun"

• Options
    Michael TMichael T Member Posts: 7,227 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Moneyplays21, I have owned seven 350 Mags, including a 2013 Rinker EC 310 with twin 350 mags. They all burned very little oil. In fact burned would be the wrong term altogether. The 2013 350 Mags I had never used enough oil between oil changes to top them up. They simply didn't consume oil. These engines are very energy efficient and sturdily built. As mentioned, unless you are loading your boat to the maximum and those engines are spending a lot of time in the upper RPM band something is wrong, according to my experience with them. Did you purchase the boat new? Did you break it in according to Mercruiser specifications? IMO if you are using the synthetic blend recommended by Mercruiser you should not be consuming so much oil. If you are using another manufacturer's oil I can't comment as my 2013 350s only used Mercruiser Synthetic.
  • Options
    Oh no, hes back
  • Options
    rasburyrasbury Member Posts: 8,246 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Glad to see you back @Michael T !
  • Options
    BellevilleMXZBellevilleMXZ Member Posts: 732 ✭✭✭
    Michael T said:
    Welcome back.....hows the holidays :-)
    2005 Rinker 270 FV Volvo Penta 5.7Gi
  • Options
    Black_DiamondBlack_Diamond Member Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭✭✭
    1qt every 50 hours seems like a lot to me.  My 350 MAG MPI's use virtually no oil, or certainly not noticeable on the dipstick.

Past owner of a 2003 342FV
    PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • Options
    Robs_232Robs_232 Member Posts: 212 ✭✭✭
    My 2004 350 Mag doesn't move on dipstick all year, but I have never put 50 hrs. on in a year either. I always have the oil and filter changed as part of winterizing. I'm with Al on how long are you going between oil and filter changes.
  • Options
    wm61356wm61356 Member Posts: 201 ✭✭✭
    I have 350 MPI Mag's in my '09 320 with a little over 300 hours on them. I run the Mercruiser recommended oil and change the oil and filter at 50 hours or once a season, whichever comes first.  Each motor will consume a few ounces of oil in 40 to 50 hours use, particularly if I've taken several long trips (3-4 hours at cruise speed). Never had to add anywhere near a half quart let alone a whole quart though, and never had the oil level drop anywhere near the "ADD" mark on the sticks. There are no leaks and compression tested fine. I just figured that, given the load those motors are under,  being down a couple ounces of oil isn't anything to be worried about.