Options

spot light

rasburyrasbury Member Posts: 8,236 ✭✭✭✭✭
Dang, light works, goes back and forth but not up and down....what's up with that? Where do I start?

Comments

• Options
    zaverin1zaverin1 Member Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭
    Well you can use a test light to see if power is gettint from the switch to the light
    most of the time the dang motor goes out and you are sol. 
    Buy a new or used one that works
  • Options
    Mercury2005Mercury2005 Member Posts: 141 ✭✭
    Had a similar problem on my 2006 270 FV. During survey it worked in one direction but not the other but the light worked.
    I removed the light from the boat and disassembled it. I used jumpers to connect each motor to a 12v bat. Each motor worked, so it was not the motors. While apart I will replace the rubber boot.  Next after reassembly I will install and hook up the switch to see if it works. If the switch does not make it move in both directions then I can only assume the switch is bad. Will know is a couple weeks after I get a chance to reinstall on the boat.
    Also while I had it apart there is a spring that apparently helps one of the motors return to a fixed point.  That spring looked broken so I put a bend in it, drilled a hole in the arm it would normally attach to and put the end of the spring in the hole.
    Since there are no diagrams for this level of assembly I can only assume I did the right thing.

• Options
    Wow, two motors...it has hardly been used so I'm surprised there is an issue. Will start with testing and looking at wiring....always something!
  • Options
    diggin2day1diggin2day1 Member Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭✭
    I would definitely start with the easiest first... check the switch for corrosion or loose/broken contacts. 
  • Options
    @diggin2day1 it has been working very recently but pretty much a play toy to annoy the neighbors.. So will be out in a bit and will dock for the weekend...pull pull the switch and inspect for wiring connections...i have a gauge but little knowledge of how to check. Assume I need to check the switch first and then move to the motor...can you or someone else walk me through how to do it?
  • Options
    diggin2day1diggin2day1 Member Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭✭
    I would pull the switch a inspect all the connections as they are (semi) exposed to salt water/air... could be corrosion preventing a proper connection. 
  • Options
    Well, launched and now its working...looks like I will have my first night time trip on the river and slipping...supposed to be still a full moon. Little nervous slipping at night and the water is very low....not much more than two feet under the stern in the slip...just redid the raw water pump... Lo
  • Options
    andydandyd Member Posts: 849 ✭✭✭
    I bought a hand held spotlight. My Jabsco spotlight only functions as a seabird perch

Andy
  • Options
    zaverin1zaverin1 Member Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭
    I switched from the metal housing to plastic model and wiring and control is all plug and play

• Options
    Lake_BumLake_Bum Member Posts: 926 ✭✭✭✭
    Did you try hitting it with a hammer?  B)
    2000 Captiva 232