Options

Any Boat Bound owners out there?

bigal6030bigal6030 Member Posts: 157 ✭✭
just wondering if any of you have your boat registered with Boat Bound? Boat Bound is kinda like The Uber for boat owners. You sign up your boat and your services and take people out for the day. I'm thinking about doing it this season, as away to use the boat more and make some money. Also getting my captain's license, I get to charge more if I captian the boat. We get a lot of visitors in Chicago and lots of visitors like getting out on Lake Michigan. What's your thoughts? Check out Boat Bound.com

Big Al - 2006 - 270 Express Crusier

Home port: Hammond Ind.

Post edited by raybo3 on

Comments

• Options
    randy56randy56 Member Posts: 4,083 ✭✭✭✭✭
    What an occupation, get paid to drive your boat. Where do I sign?
    Boat Name : 

• Options
    LaReaLaRea Member, Moderator Posts: 7,552 mod
    Note, the web site is .CO, not .COM. 

So far, I've never heard a convincing case in favor of chartering for express cruisers.  There are hidden costs such as insurance and the time needed for prep and recovery.  But I'd love to see somebody make it work!

• Options
    JonnyMJonnyM Member Posts: 302 ✭✭✭
    I am getting my captain's license right now.  I may have to look into this.
    "Mosi on Dahn"  2003 Fiesta Vee 270
  • Options
    andydandyd Member Posts: 849 ✭✭✭
    You need a captain's license, either a "six pack" for up to 6 passengers, or a "100 ton" which is for more passengers than 6 to offer services with your boat for hire. In any event you will be subject to stringent safety requirements and inspection by the Coast Guard. Simply renting a boat to someone who will skipper the vessel is considered a "bare boat rental" and not a "charter" that requires a licensed captain.

On a related topic, boat owners in California are renting out boats in slips for overnight accommodation via AirBnB type websites, however the authorities in LA's Marina Del Rey are cracking down, as even renting a boat that is tied up and never leaves the slip is apparently considered an "illegal charter" without the proper licensing in place.

Andy
  • Options
    Handymans342Handymans342 Member Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My son in law will be moving here in May. He is a licensed master captain and will be doing a Fly fishing Charter business if any one is interested in big Tarpon or any other local fish.