Options

Air conditioner

vifor2476vifor2476 Member Posts: 10
Can someone tell me where the a/c is factory located and the vents also on your 260 ec.  Adding a system to a 260 ec w/o existing unit.

Comments

• Options
    MarkBMarkB Member Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭✭✭
    A/C is located at the foot of the mid-berth bed (the one under the helm). It is behind the wall at the foot end of the bed on the left.  The vent is right behind the steps going down into the cabin.  The thermostat is right under the head unit (radio) on the side by the TV (just under where the light switch is).

Boat Name: King Kong

"Boat + Water = Fun"

• Options
    Thank you so much, MarkB.  Do you know, by the way, how many btu the a/c should have ? 
  • Options
    Handymans342Handymans342 Member Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would say 12000 BTU for your size boat. 
  • Options
    jme097jme097 Member Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭
    Same way on the 280. Wondering how I would get to it if something needs to be done. Not looking forward to it
    Boat Name: Knot A Worry
    2007 280 Rinker Express 6.2L B3
  • Options
    Liberty44140Liberty44140 Member Posts: 4,329 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My 310 had a 12,000 btu 
    07' Cruisers 390 (Previous Rinker's: 06' 342EC & 01' 310FV)

• Options
  • Options
    edited February 2017
    What is the best way to run the condensation line ?
    Do I need to drill a dedicated hole outboard and if yes where is the best place. Thank you and I appreciate your time.
  • Options
    As close as you can to the AC unit but you can use a sump pump as well.
  • Options
    bry1429bry1429 Member Posts: 371 ✭✭✭
    edited February 2017
    @vifor2476  _  when I installed a 16.000btu a/c & heat unit in my 1993 bayliner  i installed a mermaid condensator. It works great still to this day, 23yrs of flawless operation. It removes condensation from your pan. It keeps you from having to drill an additional  hole in your hull or dumping it in the bilge or running the drain hose to any type of pump. You just install this in line of your a/c overboard discharge and it creates a vacuum, then attach your drain pan hose to the mermaid and it keeps your pan dry and clean via the vacuum effect. Very easy 20 mins to install,  no electric needed to operate,  Link below.

https://www.mmair.com/marine-division/accessories/mermaid-condensator/
  • Options
    Cableguy GregCableguy Greg Member Posts: 5,011 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The 260/280's had an 8000 BTU A/C unit. 
    2008 280 Express Cruiser, 6.2MPI, B3, Pittsburgh, PA "Blue Ayes"
    Go Steelers!!!
  • Options
    Thank you very much

• Options
    260EC comes with an 8000 BTU. You won't get anything bigger in it, and it's large enough capacity for that cabin. 

"Boat + Water = Fun"

• Options
    vifor2476 said:
    What is the best way to run the condensation line ?
    Do I need to drill a dedicated hole outboard and if yes where is the best place. Thank you and I appreciate your time.
    On the factory system, it runs to the engine room and from there it drains into the bilge.
    Go Steelers!!!
  • Options
    Is there any specific unit or brand to fit better?
    And thanks to everyone for very helpful information. It is my first boat and I like to do the right way on everything. 
  • Options
    The OEM system is MarineAir.
    Go Steelers!!!
  • Options
    MarineAir is what is used.  The condensate line actually goes into the mid-berth bilge (where your through hulls are and the shower sump).  That is located under the mattress in the mid berth, just behind the cabin steps.

"Boat + Water = Fun"

• Options
    MarkB said:
    MarineAir is what is used.  The condensate line actually goes into the mid-berth bilge (where your through hulls are and the shower sump).  That is located under the mattress in the mid berth, just behind the cabin steps.
    On the 280EC, it was ran to the engine room and drips into the engine bilge. Crazy how they do things different on various model boats.
    Go Steelers!!!
  • Options
    If I were installing an ac unit I would make sure to either have it drip overboard, in to the shower sump, or install one of those mermaid things. Never seen that but it looks pretty neat. I would not let it drip in to the bilge, no reason to add water to the bilge when you can worst case run it to the sump and I've heard that ac condensation can stink up the bilge.

• Options
    Looks like MarineAir doesn't exist anymore. Now they are under Dometic brand.
  • Options
    edited February 2017
    There is one in Miami. I just changed mine. Marinaire.com
  • Options
    J3ffJ3ff Member Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If I were installing an ac unit I would make sure to either have it drip overboard, in to the shower sump, or install one of those mermaid things. Never seen that but it looks pretty neat. I would not let it drip in to the bilge, no reason to add water to the bilge when you can worst case run it to the sump and I've heard that ac condensation can stink up the bilge.
    Well I can tell you that my boat does have stinky **** bilge. I never thought that the source might be the AC condensation though. hmmmmmmmm
  • Options
    Sorry @J3ff, do some google searching on ac condensation stinking up the bilge and you will find info on it. My previous Rinker, a 2001 310, had the shower sump removed when I bought it and the shower drained in the bilge. When researching showers draining in bilges I read about both showers and ac condensation causing a stinky bilge. I added a nice new sump tank to that boat after reading about it :) I would think that it would be easy for you to route that condensation hose to your shower sump but I am not familiar with your boat. 

• Options
    Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,556 mod
    Any water, no matter the source, can stink up the bilge rather quickly.  It is best to remedy where the water is coming from.  you can also add something like purple power to your bilge each visit and it will help with stink and keep things clean.

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

• Options
    JonnyMJonnyM Member Posts: 302 ✭✭✭

Has anyone re-routed the condensation line from going to their engine compartment to their shower sump box?  I was thinking of doing this and wanted to know if it is possible.

"Mosi on Dahn"  2003 Fiesta Vee 270
  • Options
    It is possible depending on the length of run. You dont want to create a trap in the drain line. 
  • Options
    reneechris14reneechris14 Member Posts: 3,134 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My 270 drained in to the shower pump as it was only a couple of feet away,under the afternoon bed.It did wake me up more then once when the Blige come on.we always sleep in the aft.
    2005 Rinker FV342  Pawcatuck river,Ct
  • Options
    cassiolacassiola Member Posts: 41 ✭✭
    Yes, I bought a longer hose and routed the condensation line into the shower sump box on my 270. Better than having constant water in the bilge. I also put a wood block under the aft facing side of the a/c unit so that at the dock it would be slightly tilted towards the front so that as much of the runoff could go flow from the pan...
  • Options
    J3ffJ3ff Member Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Speaking of the shower sump...when is it powered? Does the key have to be on? Will it turn on by itself without the switch being turned on? 
  • Options
    Shower sump has power when your main 12v switch is on

• Options
    randy56randy56 Member Posts: 4,083 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You do not have to turn on the key switch, it's automatic, there is a float in the plastic box.
    Boat Name :