Options

Mildew

Hi guys. I have just finished the seadek installation on my Rinker 400 EC. It looks great, but I cannot get the mildew stains removed from my swim deck cushions. Any ideas? Any help would be great. Thanks! 

Comments

• Options
    Handymans342Handymans342 Member Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭✭
    What have you tried?
  • Options
    reneechris14reneechris14 Member Posts: 3,134 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Seadeck makes that very nice boat look awesome!! I have problems using detergents that are way to strong.so be careful maybe 409? I would use bleach then next year the vinyl would crack.
    2005 Rinker FV342  Pawcatuck river,Ct
  • Options
    raybo3raybo3 Administrator Posts: 5,459 admin
    Is the boat been covered for the winter? Sometime the sun will bleach it out. There are mold remover products at West Marine and other marine supply stores.
    2002 342 Fiesta Vee PC Point Of Pines YC Revere MA. popyc.org     raybo3@live.com
  • Options
    taylor1taylor1 Member Posts: 46 ✭✭
    Tried "vinyl sauce" as several slip mates recommended it, didn't  work as u can see. Going to try x14. I'll check out west marine
  • Options
    rasburyrasbury Member Posts: 8,243 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I bought a product from Attwood for mildew and from what I can tell, worked great. I have one edge on the top of the transom seat backrest that I guess to far gone but the rest of the seating looks really nice. I orders through WalMart, they did not have in store.
  • Options
    Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,561 mod

@taylor1 I saw your PM on this. I have the same thing on mine, only a couple small spots though.  I've tried everything that has been mentioned on this forum.  No luck.  I'm just gonna ride it out and replace the entire back area in another year or two.  As far as the lights under the steps, not sure.  That is probably the only thing I haven't replaced with leds.

If you find something that removes it, let me know! :)  Seadeck looks great!

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

• Options
    I have considered replacing the cushions, would Rinker factory be able to supply them?
  • Options
    You'd be better off having a local canvas shop do them.

• Options
    rkinrossrkinross Member Posts: 176 ✭✭
    Another option would be to check out Copycat Upholstery Inc. 296 Silverado St. Tavares, FL 32778.  http://copycatupholstery.com/  They are getting good reviews and their prices seem reasonable.  All you have to do is ship the old fabric to them and they will create new covers.  You install DIY after you get the new covers.    

• Options
    rasburyrasbury Member Posts: 8,243 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hey, try the Attwood product- you might get a couple more years out of it...its like 7 bucks for a bottle of it- talk about getting put on ignore!
  • Options
    Handymans342Handymans342 Member Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Magic eraser but only on spots
  • Options
    Thanks for all of the great advice
  • Options
    Alswagg said:
    Remove the seat skin. Bleach from the inside out.  The mold you see is on the underside of the vinyl.  Treat and kill the mold with bleach water.  Also treat the foam. 

Thanks @alswagg !  Looks like I know have a good spring project!  I'll put my staple gun to good use as well!  When you say foam, you mean the cushion foam under the vinyl?

• Options
    MarkBMarkB Member Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If what Alswagg says doesn't work, then just get them to recover the seats. It doesn't cost a lot of money, just save yourself the cost of all the cleaning products that won't work.

Boat Name: King Kong

"Boat + Water = Fun"