Options

New stereo installation questions

I have a question for the stereo installation experts.  I am in the process of updating the stereo system on my 2001 340 FV, which still looks to have all of the original equipment.  I have ordered a new Kenwood KMR-M318bt head unit and 4 Polk DB651's for topside.  I also plan on a new 4 channel amp and 10" subwoofer.  I believe the install will be pretty straight forward, but just want to see if this sounds correct.  I plan on using the head unit to power the 2 speakers in the cabin, channels 1 and 2 on the amp for the Polks and then bridge channels 3 and 4 for the sub.  I have never done this before, so I wanted to see if this sounds correct, or if there is a better way to go about this?  If I do it this way, can I set up the system in zones with the fader, so that I am not blasting the cabin with music while hanging out topside.  Any and all advice is appreciated!!

Comments

• Options
    Cableguy GregCableguy Greg Member Posts: 5,012 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You can do it that way. Another option would be to purchase a 5 channel amp, with channels 1-4 for the topside Polks, then channel 5 for the sub. That way you aren't messing around with running the Polks in parallel and it gives you more power for all for of them being on their own channel of the amp. The fader will work provided that you are plugged into the rear RCA jacks of the head unit.
    2008 280 Express Cruiser, 6.2MPI, B3, Pittsburgh, PA "Blue Ayes"
    Go Steelers!!!
  • Options
    Lake_BumLake_Bum Member Posts: 932 ✭✭✭✭
    I would recommend a 4 channel amp for the Polks, and a mono sub amp for the woofer. It will sound cleaner, without using deck power for highs....I just built a similar setup on my cuddy. Look for my post titled, another project completed, Stereo  B)
    2000 Captiva 232 
  • Options
    spalmer114spalmer114 Member Posts: 29 ✭✭
    Thank you both for the recommendations!  Lake Bum, your setup looks great!
  • Options
    jme097jme097 Member Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭
    I have two amps on my 280. I run a 2 channel JL amp for my radar arch speakers and then I run a 5 channel Alpine amp for the 6 speakers and sub in my cockpit. For what I use it for, sounds great. If you have an ear for extremely clean music then use the set up mentioned above
    Boat Name: Knot A Worry
    2007 280 Rinker Express 6.2L B3