Options

dewinterize Mercruiser 5.7 that is floating. 342 Fiesta Vee

yetiyeti Member Posts: 59 ✭✭

Now that I have extra time, I'm going to de-winterize my boat this year for the first time ever.  I'm of the opinion that it's a piece of cake.  I think all I need to do is join the red intake hose, start it up and let water run out the two holes where the blue wing nuts are.  Add the blue wing nuts and I'm good to go.  Am I missing anything?  I've only seen it done one time.

Comments

• Options
    Liberty44140Liberty44140 Member Posts: 4,330 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've never understood de winteizing. You run all your fresh water pumps and ac until no pink, replace plugs in the engines if they were left out for the winter, and go. Are you saying that they left a hose disconnected for the winter? Why?
    07' Cruisers 390 (Previous Rinker's: 06' 342EC & 01' 310FV)

• Options
    craigswardmtbcraigswardmtb Member Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭
    I wonder why the red hose was disconnected as well if it was winterized with Pink from the drives up.  Or why the blue plugs would be out.  It sounds like your marina did not run antifreeze through the engines but rather just removed the plugs and intake hose to drain the water in the engine.  That is not the way to do it...  If done correctly all you need to do in the spring is turn the key and go, once batteries are hooked back up.  
  • Options
    HamdogHamdog Member Posts: 247 ✭✭
    All I do is fire the engines up and let them run a little. Flush the fresh water system. Open the Seacock for the A/C, turn it on and make sure I have water output thru the hull, Open Seacocks for the Generator and the head. Fire up the generator. Nothing more.
    "Wetted" Bliss 2005 Rinker 342 - Black Hull - Twin Mercruiser 350 Mags - BIII's
  • Options
    randy56randy56 Member Posts: 4,083 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Be careful when you do it, winter is still here! Today is a record high of 76, but by 3 am it will be 32.
    Boat Name : 

• Options
    reneechris14reneechris14 Member Posts: 3,134 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Join the red Intake hose???
    2005 Rinker FV342  Pawcatuck river,Ct
  • Options
    The boat floats year round.  I was told that breaking the intake hose prevents water from potentially entering the system. 
  • Options
    Handymans342Handymans342 Member Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭✭
    How about everyone move to Florida and you dont have to do anything LOL!!!!!!!
  • Options
    pault1216pault1216 Member Posts: 206 ✭✭✭
    My intake hose for the BIII seawater pump was always disconnected for the winter (in-water). My mechanic told me to put a valve on the end of the hose and purge the water with a shop vac and then close the valve creating an air lock preventing freezing water in the intake. Dewinterized by removing valve and re-attaching the hose.
  • Options
    edited February 2017
    Join the red Intake hose??? I

yes, It's broken in the middle.  The half that connects to the outdrive has a cork of sorts.  It's to stop water from entering the system through the outdrive (the boat is floating) 

• Options
    reneechris14reneechris14 Member Posts: 3,134 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That makes sense because it's very hard to get to the back of the seawater pump.
    2005 Rinker FV342  Pawcatuck river,Ct