WeatherMAX vs Sunbrella for boat cover

rkinrossrkinross Member Posts: 176 ✭✭
I am fairly handy with a sewing machine and I am going to make a new boat cover for my recently acquired Rinker runabout.  I have searched for information on different fabrics on the Internet and up for consideration is WeatherMAX which is a waterproof fabric similar to Sunbrella.  I currently have a Sunbrella cover for my sailboat and was wondering if anyone has first hand experience with WeatherMAX.  The price difference between Sunbrella ($80/yard) and WeatherMAX ($10/yard) is considerable.  Both fabrics are breathable and waterproof and WeatherMAX is the new kid on the block which may explain some of the price difference.  If you are interested, Sailrite has a great video about how to make a boat cover: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nC1muFgrSFU  

Comments

• Liberty44140Liberty44140 Member Posts: 4,318 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I am also handy with the sewing machine and I've used Surlast in place of Sunbrella before. Sunbrella is expensive but not $80 a yard. Have you looked at sailrite.com?
    07' Cruisers 390 (Previous Rinker's: 06' 342EC & 01' 310FV)

• Cableguy GregCableguy Greg Member Posts: 5,011 ✭✭✭✭✭
    @rkinross, have you looked into any local shops for getting a cover made? Shelly Fountain at Fountain Canvas does really good work. Let me know if you need her number.
    2008 280 Express Cruiser, 6.2MPI, B3, Pittsburgh, PA "Blue Ayes"
    Go Steelers!!!
  • rkinrossrkinross Member Posts: 176 ✭✭
    @Liberty44140 -  Thanks for the tip on Surlast and Sailrite.  Sailrite had Sunbrella for $30/yard vs Surlast for $14/yard.  I got the $80 figure from Joann Fabric - guess I won't shop there anymore.
    @Cableguy Greg  - I haven't considered local shops because I think most of the cost for these types of projects is in the labor involved.  I found Fountain Canvas on boatlocal.com at Mobile Services Pittsburgh, PA  412-251-1782.  It looks like she makes house calls rather than having a  bricks and mortar place.  I am just starting to research this so I will give her a call to see if she can give me an estimate.  Thanks for your input.
    Bob   

• Liberty44140Liberty44140 Member Posts: 4,318 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I made covers for my center console out of navy blue surlast, 3 summers in the sun here in Cleveland and no noticeable fade whatsoever. Won't last 15 summers like Sunbrella but I am sure I could have got 7 or 8 summers. 
    07' Cruisers 390 (Previous Rinker's: 06' 342EC & 01' 310FV)

• Cableguy GregCableguy Greg Member Posts: 5,011 ✭✭✭✭✭
    rkinross said:
    @Liberty44140 -  Thanks for the tip on Surlast and Sailrite.  Sailrite had Sunbrella for $30/yard vs Surlast for $14/yard.  I got the $80 figure from Joann Fabric - guess I won't shop there anymore.
    @Cableguy Greg  - I haven't considered local shops because I think most of the cost for these types of projects is in the labor involved.  I found Fountain Canvas on boatlocal.com at Mobile Services Pittsburgh, PA  412-251-1782.  It looks like she makes house calls rather than having a  bricks and mortar place.  I am just starting to research this so I will give her a call to see if she can give me an estimate.  Thanks for your input.
    Bob   

If you call her, mention that the Greg, the cable guy, recommended her. I have used her for different things on my current boat, as well as a cockpit cover on my former 232.
    2008 280 Express Cruiser, 6.2MPI, B3, Pittsburgh, PA "Blue Ayes"
    Go Steelers!!!
  • JonnyMJonnyM Member Posts: 302 ✭✭✭
    I have used Shelly for two covers, both were great.
    "Mosi on Dahn"  2003 Fiesta Vee 270