Options

Engine hatch/compartment sound insulation suggestions

TrashmanTrashman Member Posts: 432 ✭✭✭
Has anyone removed the egg crate type hatch insulation and replaced with a different material or even added any more to reduce noise? 
Im contemplating removing and replacing mine. I feel the noise level could be reduced somehow. Specifically im looking at this soundown insulation  but unsure what could be used safely   **my boat is a 270 fiesta with 350 mag

Comments

• Options
    rasburyrasbury Member Posts: 8,243 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Is it that noisy? mine is quiet at idle low speed...running another story but assume that more exhaust and not from the engine compartment....
  • Options
    Well, it's loud at cruise speed. im fine with it at idle but why not improve the sound surpression?
    I have to think there would be something better than whats under the hatch. Im assuming also when I install carpet, that too will improve the sound quality.   On my old bayliner I sprayed fire retardant foam inside the fiberglass engine box and what an improvement. Im not looking to do that to my rinker but there has to be something I can install. 
  • Options
    Handymans342Handymans342 Member Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭✭
    There is a foil faced insulation you can buy and glue in place. Thats what I have
  • Options
    handy, what about heat retention? looked at the foil faced but that and thickness was was my concern. was there noise reduction with this type?
  • Options
    It was factory installed. No heat problems and when the hatch is closed you don't even know I have diesels
  • Options
    Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,561 mod
    They are typically noise reduction.  I had a new one installed on my boat several years ago and it was sound dampening.  You need to make sure it is appropriate though for the engine room.

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

• Options
    Cableguy GregCableguy Greg Member Posts: 5,012 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2017
    Are you sure it isn't exhaust noise rather than engine room noise? Or is it a combo of both? Defender has some products. Here is another company that has some as well.

http://www.megasorber.com/soundproofing-solutions/marine.html

2008 280 Express Cruiser, 6.2MPI, B3, Pittsburgh, PA "Blue Ayes"
    Go Steelers!!!
  • Options
    99270fv99270fv Member Posts: 94 ✭✭
    i just replaced mine with the padded shop flooring that snaps together. screwed it to the underside of the engine hatch.
  • Options
    I saw that material,cable.   Im guessing thats high dollar for sure.   Found some material similar to what handy and dream described.   But still looking for input. 
  • Options
    What input do You need? Just install it
  • Options
    Lol, I guess your right handy. I just hate to rip it out if someone had a better idea. ...I did that with all my blower vent hose. Sounds simple but i had a few hrs in that as a contortionist! The stuff you and dream suggested looks the best.
  • Options
    Lol, I guess your right handy. I just hate to rip it out if someone had a better idea. ...I did that with all my blower vent hose. Sounds simple but i had a few hrs in that as a contortionist! The stuff you and dream suggested looks the best.