Options

Dockside Water Inlet

Towards the end of last season the admiral informed me we didn't have good water pressure from the sink on the boat. Checked/disconnected the water coming from the dock & water shot out like a fire hose. 

So so I cleaned the intake screen...reconnected the water and it seemed to be better. Then went to the boat the following week and had the same problem again!!

Do those inlets go bad? Should I just replace or is there a fix?

thanks

Comments

• Options
    Liberty44140Liberty44140 Member Posts: 4,333 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2017
    Is it ok from your freshwater tank and pump?
    07' Cruisers 390 (Previous Rinker's: 06' 342EC & 01' 310FV)

• Options
    ruwallydogruwallydog Member Posts: 92 ✭✭
    Liberty...it is the water coming via hose from the dock connected to the fresh water inlet/valve @ the transom.

I had a crack in the original and replaced with a stainless one 6-7 years ago...which maybe means it's time for a new one.
  • Options
    Understood, trying to narrow down your issue. If you have the same problem with water from your freshwater tank and freshwater pump then it is not your dockside inlet. If you only have the issue at the inlet and not the freshwater pump then you know the problem is between the inlet and the pump. My inlet is 10 years old with no issues. You may have a blockage somewhere from crap in your lines building up. 

• Options
    edited March 2017
    Ahhh...great point. Sorry about that I can be a little slow sometimes  :D Honestly I'm not sure about water pressure using the freshwater pump as I just don't run the water much when away from the dock.

My suspicion is that the problem lies in the water pressure regulator inside the dockside inlet but that's not much more than an educated guess.
  • Options
    randy56randy56 Member Posts: 4,083 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Have you removed the aireator on the faucet to see if it is corroded? 
    Boat Name : 

• Options
    edited March 2017
    It certainly won't hurt to change the dockside connection. At least you will eliminate a possibility. My in laws had this issue on their 1974 Trojan 32. As randy said, cleaning out the screens at the faucets helped but there was crap built up in the lines (they did not have a screen at the dockside connection). I ran bleach through the lines and that got us a month but then problem came back. Last spring I broight my compressor up and blew out the lines working from the faucets back toward the dockside inlet and no further issues. Something was in there and had to be blown out the back of the boat. 

• Options
    raybo3raybo3 Administrator Posts: 5,461 admin
    I have had many issues with shore water hook up. Yes they go bad. Easy to replace.
    2002 342 Fiesta Vee PC Point Of Pines YC Revere MA. popyc.org     raybo3@live.com
  • Options
    Thanks for the replies. I did clean the aerators in each of the faucets which were a mess, but the problem persisted.

As suggested I will go ahead and order a replacement for the dockside connection and replace in the spring. Like the idea of blowing out the lines as I will have it all apart then anyway. Can only imagine what's in there after 16 years!!!

Thanks for the help!!!
  • Options
    Cableguy GregCableguy Greg Member Posts: 5,013 ✭✭✭✭✭
    After you get everything back together, consider getting an inline water filter for the hose. They sell them at Wally World in the RV section.
    2008 280 Express Cruiser, 6.2MPI, B3, Pittsburgh, PA "Blue Ayes"
    Go Steelers!!!
  • Options
    Very good idea. Thx