Options

Windlass Switch

Has anyone installed an additional windlass switch up by the anchor locker on a 342?  I wish the factory would have installed foot controls...Just curious if anyone has looked into it.

Thanks!

Y Knot?

Comments

• Options
    davidbrooksdavidbrooks Member Posts: 1,350 ✭✭✭✭
    Would love to do this as well.  It is almost impossible to pull up an anchor without having someone feed the line and keep it from snagging.
    It's 5 O'Clock Somewhere!
  • Options
    IanIan Member Posts: 2,783 ✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2017
    Have done on my 310. Exactly why I did it for the reasons you stated.  I used the Lewmar 68000888 and 68000889 deck foot swtches

Regards,

Ian

The Third “B”

Secretary, Ravena Coeymans Yacht Club

https://www.rcyachtclub.com/

• Options
    rasburyrasbury Member Posts: 8,254 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Would make sense for all boats.. Can't tell what line is doing coming or going!
  • Options
    raybo3raybo3 Administrator Posts: 5,460 admin
    Not sure why you would need a switch up on the bow. I never "pull" my  boat by the windlass. When lifting the anchor I put my boat in forward and raise the anchor. Never have a tangle problem. 
    2002 342 Fiesta Vee PC Point Of Pines YC Revere MA. popyc.org     raybo3@live.com
  • Options
    Liberty44140Liberty44140 Member Posts: 4,333 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I do have the admiral on deck when raising and lowering the anchor but really just to tell me what she sees, direct me if I'm going to fast or slow when pulling up to make sure the windlass is not pulling the boat and to make sure I'm not going too fast and driving over the line. She does not need to guide the line in to the bow. In another post I commented on how my spring arm was not springing so I took bit apart, greased with 30wt and now it springs nicely. 
    07' Cruisers 390 (Previous Rinker's: 06' 342EC & 01' 310FV)

• Options
    I don't use mine to pull the boat but to lift the anchor - what it's there for. Being at the bow to ensure it comes in right and having control there is the idea. 

Regards,

Ian

The Third “B”

• Options
    Even if all I was doing was using the windlass to wind in the rope it would still get snagged.  The darn thing just doesn't ever feed properly without someone sitting there to help it now and then.
  • Options
    Liberty44140Liberty44140 Member Posts: 4,333 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2017
    Are you guys with snagging issues using the 3 strand or 8 plait anchor rode? The 8 plait is supposed to eliminate snags when pulling up.
    07' Cruisers 390 (Previous Rinker's: 06' 342EC & 01' 310FV)

• Options
    Good question @Liberty44140 I will have to look the next time I go to the boat.  IT would be nice to just replace the rode vs wiring in a new switch.
  • Options
    rasburyrasbury Member Posts: 8,254 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'd use the foot switch so I can see how much rode is out- otherwise I count and figure about a foot a second- guess its not a science, if the boat is not holding, let out more rode...
  • Options
    I have 8 plait. I don't have a snag problem, I like to be up front keeping an eye on it and controlling the windlass. Wouldn't be the first time I've stopped it pulling up due to some foliage or twigs caught on it somehow and rather than rip through the guide I can address before it's a problem.

@davidbrooks - For me well worth a few hours of work and some $$$ for nice stainless deck switches for convenience and piece of mind. But if you have snagging problems this isn't your answer and perhaps your rode needs attention/replacement. 

Regards,

Ian

The Third “B”

• Options
    StodgeStodge Member Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭✭
    @holscher2438 I looked into it for my 342.  I don't have a relay, just a REALLY heavy duty switch at the helm.  So issue #1 for me would be to add a relay.  If I do that I'll add a wireless remote.  So far it has not been high enough on my list to get it done.

2002 FV 342 on Lake St. Clair - Past Commodore SHC - Vessel Examiner USCGAUX

• Options
    frenchshipfrenchship Member Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭
    If you had a 300 express 2007 you would appreciate the foot control since the factory anchor rode most of the time would pile up in the anchor rode compartment and jam the windlass, I tried to shorted the rode by 10 feet suggested by Al but the problem is still happening. So kind of useful to have the foot control.