Options

Radio Upgrade

TazTaz Member Posts: 62 ✭✭

I want to upgrade the above radio, any ideas. need one that's a straight swap or easy to install

Comments

• Options
    WillhoundWillhound Member Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Can't comment on brand specific, but I do know that most car and marine audio units conform to a standard called  DIN 75490, or sometimes just called "single DIN" which means the height and width are standard, although depths can vary. So as long as whatever unit you are considering has that standard, then it should fit. Connections are generally all about the same also. I have had a number of Clarion units in vehicles over the years, and one in a boat, and all were good for me. Most of the newer units except very entry level will also now have Bluetooth so you can connect and get your tunes off your phone or Ipod.
    "Knot Quite Shore" - 2000 FV270 (Sold)
    2018 Cherokee 39RL Land Yacht (Sorry...)
  • Options
    Cableguy GregCableguy Greg Member Posts: 5,013 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you stick with Clarion, the remotes use a different wire, but adapters are available so you can use the existing wiring. The swap should be pretty straight forward. The amp is in the cabinet behind the TV. Some cabinets had a panel covering the amp.
    2008 280 Express Cruiser, 6.2MPI, B3, Pittsburgh, PA "Blue Ayes"
    Go Steelers!!!
  • Options
    JonnyMJonnyM Member Posts: 302 ✭✭✭

I think it is all up to the features you want.  Most new head units offer the same general features now with Bluetooth, Pandora, I-heart, Sat ready, etc. (FYI... Satellite ready usually means you also have to buy the adapter and antenna).  You can usually also find them cheaper if you can live without a CD player (digital media receiver vs. CD receiver).  Another big factor is if you want wired remotes.  If you want your current remotes to work, you will need to find a compatible Clarion Receiver or find one that has compatible wired remotes that you can buy for it.

If you are looking for a substantial sound upgrade you should look to an amplifier and better speakers and/or a subwoofer.

I am replacing my Kenwood non Bluetooth head unit with a Kenwood Bluetooth unit so I can keep my remotes.

"Mosi on Dahn"  2003 Fiesta Vee 270
  • Options
    davidbrooksdavidbrooks Member Posts: 1,350 ✭✭✭✭
    Stay away from a Clarion 505.  Want to rip mine out.  The interface is horrible and the Bluetooth is very weak.  It sounds great as long as you don't want to change anything.
    It's 5 O'Clock Somewhere!
  • Options
    mattiemattie Member Posts: 1,255 ✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2017
    Replaced the M455 (head unit went bad) in our boat 2-3 yrs ago with a Clarion M303. Works great. Bluetooth, etc. Used existing wiring. Had to upgrade both Clarion remotes though. 8 speakers & sub replaced with Kicker marine. System rocks now. FYI: Also had to replace cables from the head unit to remotes. Old ones no worky.
    246BR, 276BR, H310BR current
  • Options
    TazTaz Member Posts: 62 ✭✭
    Hi Mattie, why did you have to replace the remotes ?
  • Options
    Liberty44140Liberty44140 Member Posts: 4,333 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Agree, why not just use converters and keep the same remotes? M303 looks nice!
    07' Cruisers 390 (Previous Rinker's: 06' 342EC & 01' 310FV)

• Options
    Bought our boat new in 2008. The original factory stereo Clarion remotes that matched up to the orig M455 do not work with the newer Clarion equipment. They are obsolete. The cables to the old remotes aren't compatible either. (Didn't know there were converters for the old remotes.)

That said, the new remotes (Clarion #MW1) seem to work better. Plus the LCD readouts on the old one's were kinda pooched.

The new Clarion remote marine extension cables are 25' part #MWRXCRET
    Also marine 'Y' cable #MWRYCRET (if you need 2 remotes)
    All the above just plug & play.

Stereo is infinitely better now. The Kicker marine speakers are excellent. Only remaining parts of the original stereo are the factory amps that seem to be fine.

Only thing left I may do - is to add a wireless remote key fob (waterproof) #MF1. Just so I can hold it in my hand. (BudLight in the other hand). While hanging out in the water at the transom.

Hope this helps.......

• Options
    J3ffJ3ff Member Posts: 4,060 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I was going to mention that the best thing with Clarion is that wireless/waterproof/floating remote.. it comes in handy all the time... ex. reading a book in the back seat, or laying down anywhere downstairs...having it with you is great! 
  • Options
    Liberty44140Liberty44140 Member Posts: 4,333 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Great info, thanks!!!
    07' Cruisers 390 (Previous Rinker's: 06' 342EC & 01' 310FV)

• Options
    edited March 2017
    Hey J3ff,

Pretty sure the Clarion remote is RF based? Think you need an attachment plugged into the back of the head unit for the remote to work, correct?

Can't remember how many din plugs there are on the back of the unit. I might need another splitter cable to add the remote set up.

mattie

• Options
    J3ffJ3ff Member Posts: 4,060 ✭✭✭✭✭
    mattie said:
    Hey J3ff,

Pretty sure the Clarion remote is RF based? Think you need an attachment plugged into the back of the head unit for the remote to work, correct?

Can't remember how many din plugs there are on the back of the unit. I might need another splitter cable to add the remote set up.

mattie

Yeah, there's some work to be done behind there, was very simple though, I can't even remember what wires needed to be put together. :) You do end up needing 2 splitter cables to run the RF remote and two wired remotes. Works just fine. 
  • Options
    jme097jme097 Member Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭
    Upgrading the sound system was the first thing I did when I got my 280. 2 amps (a four channel and a 6 channel) and four radar arch speakers and 6 new cockpit speakers and sub. Best decision ever lol
    Boat Name: Knot A Worry
    2007 280 Rinker Express 6.2L B3
  • Options
    JBam67JBam67 Member Posts: 109 ✭✭
    jme097
    When you buy my boat you'll have the best system in Lake St. Clair!