Maintenance of new (used) boat

gackgack Member Posts: 315 ✭✭✭
I picked up m 270FV from a broker a month ago and I'm trying to determine what engine/outdrive maintenance I should perform on it before I put it in the water.  I don't  have any history of the boat but it looks like it may have a new outdrive (see pic) and fresh bottom paint.  Props need reconditioning.  Engine ran good during survey but I was unable to do a sea trial due to distance to water.  What do you folks recommend?

Best Answer

Answers

• StodgeStodge Member Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭✭
    I have my outdrives serviced every other season.  That involves removing them, inspecting the fluid and gears, replacing/aligning the drive, greasing the shaft and replacing the fluid.    I also end up replacing my anodes every other year.  

2002 FV 342 on Lake St. Clair - Past Commodore SHC - Vessel Examiner USCGAUX

• LaReaLaRea Member Posts: 7,505 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Check your thru-hull fittings for corrosion, and open/close the seacocks to make sure they move freely.  Check the hardware bolted to the underside of the swim platform.  

I don't know much about reconditioning props, but yours need it!  I hope they can be saved.  New outdrive -- lucky you!
  • gackgack Member Posts: 315 ✭✭✭

I thought I could save a few $ and bypass the outdrive service since it looks like a new one was put on, but probably best not to chance it since I don't have history on the boat.  I also have a Kohler 5E Generator and AC.  Thinking I should change plug and impeller on the genny.  Will check thru hull fittings, swim platform is solid.

• Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,552 mod
    Definitely get the outdrive serviced.  Mine look just like yours, but it is lift kept.  I wax them yearly (although they have been replaced recently, but old ones looked shiny and waxed as well).  On genny, yes change those and check the zinc anode as well.  Change engine seawater pump impeller too.

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

• reneechris14reneechris14 Member Posts: 3,134 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yup filters, plugs,impellers,anodes,clean spark arrestor check hoses and belt?and think?
    2005 Rinker FV342  Pawcatuck river,Ct
  • Cableguy GregCableguy Greg Member Posts: 5,011 ✭✭✭✭✭
    IF you don't service the drive, be sure to check the drive lube. You might want to consider changing the drive lube as well. I would also change the oil in the engine so you have a baseline for the oil. You don't know how many hours are on the oil right now. I use Mercury 25w-40 semi-synthetic oil with the Merc High Efficiency oil filter (Part# 35-858004q). When I change the oil on my boat, I mark the engine hours on the filter with a marker. The impeller in the water pump should also be changed. A friend of mine bought a 270, sea trialed it, brought it home, dunked it in and the first day out his impeller fell apart 12 miles from the dock. It's one of those parts that you never know when it is going to go. It's better to start out fresh.
    2008 280 Express Cruiser, 6.2MPI, B3, Pittsburgh, PA "Blue Ayes"
    Go Steelers!!!