Options

Vaccu-Flush

TazTaz Member Posts: 62 ✭✭

Guys

Whats the Vaccu-Flush switch for ?

Comments

• Options
    StodgeStodge Member Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭✭
    I would think it powers the head.  Assuming you have a Vaccu-Flush head.

2002 FV 342 on Lake St. Clair - Past Commodore SHC - Vessel Examiner USCGAUX

• Options
    Cableguy GregCableguy Greg Member Posts: 5,012 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The Vaccu-Flush was an option on the 280EC.
    2008 280 Express Cruiser, 6.2MPI, B3, Pittsburgh, PA "Blue Ayes"
    Go Steelers!!!
  • Options
    skennellyskennelly Member Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭✭
    I never could understand why my 270 doesn't have a galley pump switch in the cabin??? I have to up to the helm and turn the switch on.
    2002 - 270FV Mag 350 B3
  • Options
    TazTaz Member Posts: 62 ✭✭
    what does it do, 
  • Options
    reneechris14reneechris14 Member Posts: 3,134 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Powers the pump for the pooper,if your popper is powered
    2005 Rinker FV342  Pawcatuck river,Ct
  • Options
    @Taz do you know which kind of head is in the boat?  I'm going to guess it's powered.  The Vaccu-Flush are like the ones on airplanes.  They have a pump that creates vacuum to remove the waste.  Lots of other moving parts.  I imagine the switch would be to turn on the pump that makes the vacuum so the head will flush when you push the button.  I think the system tries to maintain the vacuum as long as it has power.  The switch would let you power it down to save battery (not to mention wear and tear) while it's waiting to be used.  

I have an electric head.  It has a function to pump water into the bowl, and another to pump the bowl contents into the tank.  There is also a macerator in-line to chew up what goes through.  

• Options
    bazzabazza Member Posts: 56 ✭✭
    Hello Taz
    Depending on what head you have the Vacuu flush switch could just operate a pump to evacuate the holding tank into the sea, when out far enough, situated just to rear of the holding tank, worth cheching its operation, this pump was faulty when I bought my 280 2010, the holding tank was full to the top, I made it a condition of sale that the pump was changed, the broker did not like that, I have since installed an electric conversion with macerator JABSCO noisy but better than hand pumping.
    Cheers Bazza
  • Options
    jme097jme097 Member Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭
    A macerator is different than the Vaccuflush. 
    Boat Name: Knot A Worry
    2007 280 Rinker Express 6.2L B3
  • Options
    @jme097 Correct, my head is not Vaccuflush.  I was surprised to find a macerator in my system.  Used to be you only saw them with waste systems that had a Y valve.

• Options
    danroddanrod Member Posts: 27
    Hi, I have the Vaccuflush system on my 280 and it has the Y valve, does anybody know which position does what? Looks like about 2 or 3 arrow positions 
  • Options
    Dude_HimselfDude_Himself Member Posts: 596 ✭✭✭
  • Options
    randy56randy56 Member Posts: 4,083 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Noticed the zip tie, have you had anyone look for it?
    Boat Name : 

• Options
    PickleRickPickleRick Member Posts: 3,886 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2019
    Invite the coast guard on board they will check out that Y valve for you. If that y isnt locked(zip ties or other lock mechanism) into the holding tank position you can be fined.  They can and will check that as well as put dye into your system to be sure nothing is leaking out into the water.  Poop is serious business for the coasties. 
  • Options
    Dude_HimselfDude_Himself Member Posts: 596 ✭✭✭
    Zip tie is required - I used a (formerly highly visible) orange one to make it easy to see, and I left a big loop so they can tug on it to prove it's secured (don't ask why the previous kid had to tug on it with his Leatherman, scuffing my deck all up with his boots).

I've only run the macerator once - it worked well, but my recommendation is to have enough fresh water to completely flush all the poo out of the macerator circuit - otherwise it'll smell.
  • Options
    randy56randy56 Member Posts: 4,083 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I wondered if anyone ever checked for them. Just where I boat, no CG. 
    Boat Name :