Options

Captiva 206 performance specs and Prop tests.

onebadRinkeronebadRinker Member Posts: 5
edited May 2013 in Rinker Sport Boat Forum

I am not finding a lot of information on the Captiva 206...so I will post some about mine.  1991 Captiva 206 Cuddy, 350 magnum (270 hp), Alpha One outdrive.  My boat has the dual captains chairs with the full bench and sunpad in the rear.  In stock form I am getting 55mph at 4500 RPM.  The engine operating RPM for the 350 Magnum is 4200-4600 RPM as indicated on engine cover.  I have 3 props for the boat and want to give my input on their performance and GPS speeds.

Quicksilver Silverado 14 1/4 X 21P  Planes the quickest of the 3 but still does not "pop" the boat out of the hole.  Boat handled well at 2,000 RPM and stayed on plane easily maintaining a 22mph GPS cruise speed. 3000 RPM boat was flat and slightly trimmed for a speed of 33 mph.  Midrange acceleration was good and the boat handling remained very consistant all the way to a top speed of 52 mph at 4500 RPM.  This prop does not like to be trimmed very much before airating. 

Mercury Mirage 14 5/8 X 21P  Slightly longer planing time than Silverado but boat planes more level rather than bow high like the silverado.  2000 RPM cruise was flat and was able to slightly trim the bow up at this speed as well, cruise speed is 24mph.  3000 RPM the boat felt significantly faster at 37mph cruise with moderate trim and the boat felt light and stable.  Midrange acceleration was great with this prop, it pushed you back into the seat more than the silverado does and likes to be trimmed more as well.  Top speed was 55mph at 4500 RPM the boat felt stable yet but would airate before I could trim the bow up any more.  This prop has very predictable behavior with VERY impressive performance.

Mercury Mirage Plus 14 5/8 X 21P  Longest planing time but lifted the boat level to plane without much buw lift.  2000 RPM cruise was possible but the hull wanted to porpise from the extra cup in the prop cruise speed was 23mph.  Hull felt much better at 3000 RPM and was cruising at 38 mph!  I was able to trim the prop to the trim limits at 3000 and never airated the prop.  Midrange acceleration was similar to the Mirage but the RPM's seemed to build a little slower.  top speed was Exactly the same as the Mirage at 55mph but the RPM's were only 4400 RPM.  this prop loves to be trimmed and will trim high enough to throw a very large rooster tail and not airate but the boat begins to feel VERY light never got unstable in 1' chop but there was not much boat in the water either.

My choice of prop so far is the Mirage 21 pitch which is a discontinued propeller and has been replaced by the Mirage Plus which also performed extremely well but did not give as smooth of a ride at 2000 RPM range and didn't pull as hard to Max Speed.  The Mirage Plus did offer a better 3000 RPM trim range and a higher speed as well at this RPM.

These Tests were all performed with a full tank of fuel and 2 adults (350lbs).  Speedometer was Ulyses GPS Speedometer.

Hope this info is helpful when trying to decide on a prop for your 206 or similar Please add additional prop info for your 206 or similar...

Post edited by Babyboomer on

Comments