Grey water holding?

welliswellis Member Posts: 57 ✭✭
Ok has anyone plumbed in grey water holding?

Boat 270FV. We just relocated to Upstate New York for a few years due to family issues. I secured a slip on Lake George which has very tight controls on overboard discharge. All thru hulls must be sealed. This means we can't use any fresh water as the sinks all drain out these. 

My question is has anyone re-plumbed their sinks and installed a grey water tank? If so I'd like to know how you're set up with tank size and placement and if you ran into any issues. I'd like to put in "Y" valves so I can retain the original thru hull option when we go south.

Thanks

Comments

• J3ffJ3ff Member Posts: 4,054 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yikes! That's annoying
  • StodgeStodge Member Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭✭
    What about routing to the black water tank?

2002 FV 342 on Lake St. Clair - Past Commodore SHC - Vessel Examiner USCGAUX

• Cableguy GregCableguy Greg Member Posts: 5,011 ✭✭✭✭✭
    There was someone on here that had a FV242 with one installed and was trying to figure out how to remove the grey system. If you don't have the generator, you could mount the tank there. Route all of the sink lines to the shower sump, then have the sump pump it to a small tank. You could also do what Stodge suggested and route to the black water tank. I would still route thru the shower sump if you went that route.
    2008 280 Express Cruiser, 6.2MPI, B3, Pittsburgh, PA "Blue Ayes"
    Go Steelers!!!
  • welliswellis Member Posts: 57 ✭✭
    Shower sump not a bad idea. Don't want to fill black tank unnecessarily.
  • Liberty44140Liberty44140 Member Posts: 4,318 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The shower sump idea really is a good one. Those sinks drain on gravity so getting them to a tank will be tough. Shower sump will take care of that whether you go gray or black and you have to re route that sump anyway. If you really dont use your sinks or showers, using the black is the easiest but if you use your sink and showers all weekend like we do you will fill up that black tank in a day. I would try to find another lake!  :)
    07' Cruisers 390 (Previous Rinker's: 06' 342EC & 01' 310FV)

• reneechris14reneechris14 Member Posts: 3,134 ✭✭✭✭✭
    @DanD2 put one in a 342 there is a u tube video,don't know how he played pump it up there though.
    2005 Rinker FV342  Pawcatuck river,Ct
    @DanD2 put one in a 342 there is a u tube video,don't know how he played pump it up there though.
    Sorry I'm not understanding.
  • Liberty44140Liberty44140 Member Posts: 4,318 ✭✭✭✭✭
    @wellis - @DanD2 posted a video here somewhere where he step by step took apart his aft cabin on his 342. This is necessary on the 342 to access the black water, fresh water, and fuel tanks should you need to change a sender, lines or service them. It is a great tool for 342 owners to know what to do. He has a grey water tank and so far I think he is the only owner here that has a grey water tank and it is shown in the video in a place where the rest of us have storage. So that video could show you how it is ran, my guess would be that everything drains to a sump pump which then feeds that grey tank. Dan may chime in. 
    07' Cruisers 390 (Previous Rinker's: 06' 342EC & 01' 310FV)

• reneechris14reneechris14 Member Posts: 3,134 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sorry I should read my post before I post
    2005 Rinker FV342  Pawcatuck river,Ct
    @wellis - @DanD2 posted a video here somewhere where he step by step took apart his aft cabin on his 342. This is necessary on the 342 to access the black water, fresh water, and fuel tanks should you need to change a sender, lines or service them. It is a great tool for 342 owners to know what to do. He has a grey water tank and so far I think he is the only owner here that has a grey water tank and it is shown in the video in a place where the rest of us have storage. So that video could show you how it is ran, my guess would be that everything drains to a sump pump which then feeds that grey tank. Dan may chime in. 
    Thanks for the clarification. I'm sure there's significant differences between the 342 and 270, but I'd like to see what @DanD2 did, and use whatever I can or adapt for the 270.
    reneechris14 said:Sorry I should read my post before I post
    No worries....
  • DanD2DanD2 Member Posts: 847 ✭✭✭
    So my boat came with the grey water tank from the factory. Certainly would be a relatively easy installation albeit a bit time consuming one. Galley and head sink drain goes to a sump under head sink, Shower grey goes to sump in aft berth and cockpit sink gravity drains to tank. I also have 2 pump-outs.
    No longer a boat owner.....previous boat - 2005 Rinker Fiesta Vee 342
    DanD2 said:
    So my boat came with the grey water tank from the factory. Certainly would be a relatively easy installation albeit a bit time consuming one. Galley and head sink drain goes to a sump under head sink, Shower grey goes to sump in aft berth and cockpit sink gravity drains to tank. I also have 2 pump-outs.
    Thank you. The 342 is a bit different then. My sinks all drain straight out thru hulls, with exception of the shower that drains to sump under  the stairs.

Cableguy Greg also suggested. Is to route the kitchen and bathroom sinks into the same shower sump then run into a tank just for greywater and route the cockpit sink direct to tank. I still want to put in "Y" valves for original configuration use off Lake George.

I have space to port(same as fresh tank)side for a new tank. It would also keep the boat balanced, as when fresh is used up my boat tends to list to starboard.

Any more suggestions always welcome. Thanks