Options

Anyone planning a trip to the bahamas in the next 90days

2»

Comments

• Options
    Handymans342Handymans342 Member Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    GMSLITHOGMSLITHO Member Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭✭
    My old Chris Craft had a king Cobra OMC had it 8 years and one day wouldn't shift into forward couldn't even find anyone to work on it and parts were getting harder and harder to find ,my option was to pull the motor and replace the housing and drive ............sold the boat and bought my first Rinker and so far loving it 
  • Options
    Michael TMichael T Member Posts: 7,227 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The gears in OMC drive in the kid's boat, a 1991 VIP Vision with a  4 cyl  135 HP Ford OMC, went - not cheap to fix. Shimmed once then a complete rebuild. They also had problems with their shift interrupters causing gear clashing.
  • Options
    J3ffJ3ff Member Posts: 4,060 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2018
    GMSLITHO said:
    My old Chris Craft had a king Cobra OMC had it 8 years and one day wouldn't shift into forward couldn't even find anyone to work on it and parts were getting harder and harder to find ,my option was to pull the motor and replace the housing and drive ............sold the boat and bought my first Rinker and so far loving it 
    That was me two years ago. One day reverse wouldn't work. I spent hours and hours fixing that junk, sold it (27 ft cruisers inc) for 2000 bucks (had just replaced the outdrive lower end as I was sure the gears were stripped) and told the guy it had issues and I never wanted to hear from him about them! 
    Bought a rinker, the engine grenaded, but at least it was a merc and people would fix it!! 
  • Options
    bella-vitabella-vita Member Posts: 411 ✭✭✭
    I got out of boating for a few years after owning a 92 bayliner with omc in it had it for ten years nothing but problems finally had enough it was like driving a car with no brakes trying to park at tight marina switch to reverse and half time she would stall out. I ended up giving that boat away. Last year I spotted the boat I actually gave a gentleman a hand parking at restaurant and as I looked at boat started to say I owned a boat just like it years ago turned out it was my old boat. He was good with motors had it running nice,I was glad
    to see him enjoying it. Mercruiser and Rinker have made me love boating again 
    2002 Rinker FV 342
  • Options
    LaReaLaRea Member, Moderator Posts: 7,553 mod
    edited March 2018
    Dude_Himself said: ... Good people can have unclear thoughts when they're desperate. 

Profound and well-said.  When Americans travel, they sometimes forget about the bubble of protection that surrounds them at home.  
  • Options
    GMSLITHOGMSLITHO Member Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭✭
    Ever make the trip ?