Options

VHF Antenna - Can it be too high?

WillhoundWillhound Member Posts: 4,187 ✭✭✭✭✭
Will be replacing the broken VHF antenna mounted on top of the radar arch on a FV270.
I am a licensed VHF operator and understand the effect of gain and height on transmission/reception and that VHF is line of sight. My gut is telling me to install an 8' 6db antenna. I will be in an open slip, and not really any bridges around to worry about.
From what I've seen in some other posts, height from water to the top of arch is about 9'6"? So an 8' antenna should put me at about 17'6" ??
From an aesthetics point of view, does it look goofy perched way up there, or would anyone consider just a 4' antenna?
Should I be worried about lightening? There will be sail boat masts around me at the marina, and on the water I'm pretty good about getting off the water at the first hint of lightening.
"Knot Quite Shore" - 2000 FV270 (Sold)
2018 Cherokee 39RL Land Yacht (Sorry...)

Best Answers

• Options
    WillhoundWillhound Member Posts: 4,187 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2017 Answer ✓
    If that's the 8 foot in your profile pic, it looks kinda cool swept back like that although I'd probably run mine straight up. I also usually fly a small flag from mine. Maybe a 4 foot is good enough, might look better and less strain with the flag too.
    "Knot Quite Shore" - 2000 FV270 (Sold)
    2018 Cherokee 39RL Land Yacht (Sorry...)