Options

Listing to port side.

MarkBMarkB Member Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭✭✭
My 260 Ec lists to the port side ever since I got her brand new last year. I would guess there's about a 4 to 6 inch difference between each side. I have my water tank full, hot water heater, and galley all on the port side. My waste tank is normally empty to half full and that is basically the only weight on the starboard side. So I'm thinking it is perfectly normal.

Is it?

Boat Name: King Kong

"Boat + Water = Fun"

Comments

• Options
    Michael TMichael T Member Posts: 7,227 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The short answer is yes.- and it happens to all boats that are not large or expensive enough to be engineered to be "stabilized" Probably boats that are over 40 feet in lenght and 14 or more feet in beam. That said, I have had a number of boats of different configurations that did this - so to me its a normal event. On my last boat a 2011 Rinker 226XL with 350 Mag and B3 it had a huge lyst to starboard - particularly if I was in the boat alone. I'll use what I did here as an example -  I found three solutions. 1. Try to balance the boat using items you normally carry, move them around to try to achieve balance (fire extinguishers etcetc. I even had one of the batteries, the heavier house battery moved tp the port side. That helped a bit more but still didn't work well enough as the lyst was still too annoying. 2. Use trim tabs, I found that improved the situation even more but employing a trim tab enough (I had to fully deploy it on one side) changed the rpm and speed quite a bit and I could tell the engine was working harder and the gas consumption would be up. I was getting desperate as my lyst was quite significant. So - I bought three collapsible soft sided - water jugs at a sporting goods store. I placed one then two and finally three under the rear port seat. They were easy to fill, I took one out when my wife was on the port side and the boat tracked like it was on rails. It was a cheap fix and I could even move the containers around if others were on board. they were soft so i could mold them into different sized spaces and they didn't damage anything as they were soft. Four or five guys at the same marina used my idea and said it really helped them. Two guys with cruisers said they even used the water as extra drinking water and just refilled the jugs. With my new 3013EC 310 I have found a similar situation. I have tried the first two steps with quite a bit of success. I had all four of my AGM batteries placed to port because the waste tank on the EC 310 is 47 gallons and its to starboard. You can do the math on that one. So as the waste tank fills up I make sure the water tank to port is full to balance out as best as possible. I will never let the waste tank get above 33 gallons or there will be too much imbalance. Sorry to take so long but I thought I'd explain thoroughly - so don't  why don't you just add water to your waste tank to change the lyst - it probably wouldn't take too much and should work really well? Please advise if you try it and it works..
  • Options
    Thanks Mike. That's what I figured. I forgot to say my house and crank batteries are also on the port side adding to the lyst.

"Boat + Water = Fun"

• Options
    Mark, as I said in an earlier post, my lyst is to starboard so we put coolers, shore power cords - anything that's heavy to port. Like you, there is only so much I can do as my two fridges, the kitchen and the head are all to starboard. My buddy with a 2012 EC 310 has an even bigger lyst to starboard as he has smaller batteries on his port side that don't weigh as much as mine. The four series 31 AGMs that I have to port are aboutr 75 pounds each! That helped quite a bit. Guess we all will have a "balancing act" to do. Hope your boat made it through the rough weather today. We are getting the @#$% kicked out of us up here. Take care! MT 
  • Options
    MIKES342MIKES342 Member Posts: 182 ✭✭✭
    I had the same problem on my 260 and although I don't have have hardly any extra weight on the boat.  I do have the genny and the 6.2 engine.  When my water tank was full it listed at least that much to the port side.  I removed all but about 5 gallons and remember you still have 6 gallons in the hot water tank that is also on the port side. looked a lot better when boarding.
  • Options
    I bet it lists less now when it's underway. Until my friend moved some things around in his 2012 EC 310 things used to roll off the counters which was really annoyong and if another boat made too big a wake coming into the marina he'd lose a beer or glass of wine onto the carpet. Not good. Guess we all have to move things around a bit!
  • Options
    While I am underway it isn't as bad as on the 260 most passengers sit on starboard so it balanced a bit. It's just when it's sitting in the water you can easily tell that it lists by following the bottom paint line. Not nearly enough though to make things come off the shelves. Lol! That would be a lot.

"Boat + Water = Fun"

• Options
    hackettgrouphackettgroup Member Posts: 1

My 2006 270FV lysts to the starboard and I have moved all loose stuff to the port side and filled the water tank, emptied the waste water and still it leans to the starboard. Maybe I need to move one of the batteries to the port side? Anyone else have this problem? I checked for water in any compartments and all are dry.

LSBC Guy
  • Options
    WeberWeber Member Posts: 249 ✭✭✭
    My 312 list to starboard, with water tank full and waste empty.
    Sin or Swim - Rinker 312
  • Options
    Moved a battery to port side on one Rinker I owned and also placed several collapsable 5 gallon jugs of water in the port side of that boat to correct a crazy list to starboard. In my new EC 310 we put all 4 series 31 deep cycle AGM batteries to the port side and as many heavy items as possible in port side compartments. That  keeps it balanced nicely until the waste tank (starboard) is about 80% full, then the lyst starts and it's time to hit the pump-out station. MT