Options

Looking for advice boating while pregnant.

skennellyskennelly Member Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭✭
After 10 years of trying and infertility doctor's telling us it probably wouldn't ever happen....my wife is now pregnant with our first child. :):)

Boat will be launched in about a month and I'm trying to read up on advice regarding boating.  I guess the take away is avoid rough water, but any other advice you could provide would be appreciated.

Thanks.

2002 - 270FV Mag 350 B3

Comments

• Options
    reneechris14reneechris14 Member Posts: 3,134 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Congrats good for you.no wake zone.
    2005 Rinker FV342  Pawcatuck river,Ct
  • Options
    Handymans342Handymans342 Member Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I dont think any Doc would recommend a boat ride unless you are trying to induce labor.
  • Options
    Cableguy GregCableguy Greg Member Posts: 5,012 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Congratulations!!! The first season (4 seasons ago) owning my new to me 280EC, my wife found out that she was pregnant with our first child. We found out in early May and enjoyed the entire boating season. She didn't have any major issues at all on the boat. All pregnancy's are different, but I wouldn't worry about it too much. She will let you know if there is an issue. If you are going thru rough water, I would have her ride in the rear of the boat so she gets the best possible ride.

FWIW, we went thru two rounds of full blown IVF, so I understand your concern. Congratulations again! Being a boating family and raising am infant on a boat has been great. I wouldn't change it for the world. One thing we did when our daughter was 5 months old was enroll her in swim school. Granted she still can't swim, but she is aware of the water and used to going under water and holding her breath. There is a swim school franchise around us called Goldfish Swim School. She loves going each week and I am the lucky parent that gets to take her to lessons, which I cherish.
    2008 280 Express Cruiser, 6.2MPI, B3, Pittsburgh, PA "Blue Ayes"
    Go Steelers!!!
  • Options
    Cableguy Greg - Thank you...and thanks everyone for the congrats.  We did the IVF stuff about 5 years ago and nothing worked and we kind of called it quits with the doctors.  It's quite the shock for us, but we are soooo excited.
    2002 - 270FV Mag 350 B3
  • Options
    randy56randy56 Member Posts: 4,083 ✭✭✭✭✭
    All that practice and trying to get pregnant, was fun and worth it. congrats!  I ask my wife the question, and 30 and 33 years ago I had a 18 ft open bow boat. She said the hard bouncing did bother her somewhat . You have a big 270 in comparison. Your wife will let you know if the ride is to rough. Easy slow down a bit.
     But it was never a problem. Boating while pregnant she said. 
    And she sit mostly in the back during last few months, smother ride. 
    Keep up the good work studly.  Oops , skennelly. 
    Boat Name : 

• Options
    @randy56 - Thank you for input!!  And your wife ☺️
    2002 - 270FV Mag 350 B3
  • Options
    craigswardmtbcraigswardmtb Member Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭
    My wife was pregnant with my soon to be 5 year old when we had a 270. The doctor wasn't worried about it until the last trimester and even then wasn't too concerned. My wife didn't get uncomfortable in the chop until 7 months or so. We still went out and just went slow everywhere. I remember once at term she actually wanted to go out in the boat even more in hopes of evicting the baby asap...  We were back in the boat 1 month after my daughter was born. We actually found a nice baby life jacket made in Canada meant for infants. There was nothing offered in the US that would accommodate such a young infant. Not sure if that is still the case. 
    The boat is the best thing to happen to our family and everyone loves the time spent together on the water. 
  • Options
    Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,560 mod

Congrats!!!!  What an exciting time!  17 years ago we bought a boat and two weeks later my wife was pregnant with our first child!  Boating while pregnant was fine.  She was born in August.  Actually, swimming in the water was very relaxing for her.  Our second child was born in April, so not much boating during pregnancy there.  Man the time has sure gone by!  I think @cableguy Greg hit said it all perfectly.  My kids are now fantastic swimmers and love boating!  Good luck!

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

• Options
    gtyeegtyee Member Posts: 168 ✭✭✭
    Congrats @skennelly on the new baby! You still have the Chicago river and Calumet river to run in on a rough day. Now you'll have a second mate!
  • Options
    gtyee - Thank you! And very true about river cruises.  I think one of my biggest concerns is my wife handling the ropes while docking.  I'm going to have to be on the top of my docking game to make sure she doesn't have to exert herself too much.
    2002 - 270FV Mag 350 B3
  • Options
    @Dream_Inn - Thank you.  We are excited for sure.
    2002 - 270FV Mag 350 B3
  • Options
    IanIan Member Posts: 2,778 ✭✭✭✭
    Congrats. Common sense - keep it smooth - will prevail. Plus the better half will tell you if boating isn't working for her :smile:

Regards,

Ian

The Third “B”

Secretary, Ravena Coeymans Yacht Club

https://www.rcyachtclub.com/

• Options
    zaverin1zaverin1 Member Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭
    Yep
    keep it smooTh and shoot for short runs specially closer to the delivery 
    otherwise enjoy the summer and babies love water even while in the womb 

• Options
    craigswardmtbcraigswardmtb Member Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭
    Forgot to say congrats. You probably think life is crazy now. Just wait. It's all good stuff though!  
  • Options
    edited March 2017
    @craigswardmtb - Thank you!!
    2002 - 270FV Mag 350 B3