Options

Proper voltage readings

MajorAppealMajorAppeal Member Posts: 81 ✭✭
Hello All, I recently purchased a 270 and was making some repairs. Replaced the fuel sending unit and compass.  I noticed both read about 5 volts on a voltmeter (light on compass and fuel sending unit). Is this normal or should it be reading 12v?

Comments

• Options
    Handymans342Handymans342 Member Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think Its resistance only and I don't think there should be any voltage on a fuel sender. I could be wrong though. Check the ground
  • Options
    MajorAppealMajorAppeal Member Posts: 81 ✭✭
    That reading is from testing the volt reading between the ground and the pink wire connection post on the sending unit. What about the lighting? I noticed the compass light wire is very thin, is that to provide resistance?
  • Options
    diggin2day1diggin2day1 Member Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭✭
    On the compass wires toggle the "panel dim" switch up/down to see if the voltage changes(might be dimmed down so you'll read a lower voltage). 
    As for the fuel sender, you should be reading resistance across the studs(as the float rises/lowers the resistance changes)
  • Options
    Cableguy GregCableguy Greg Member Posts: 5,012 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The sending unit on the fuel tank is measured in resistance (ohms). It should read 240 ohms empty and 33 ohms on full.
    2008 280 Express Cruiser, 6.2MPI, B3, Pittsburgh, PA "Blue Ayes"
    Go Steelers!!!